Anyone NOT keep their dog(s) in the camper when camping?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by 3charter, Feb 27, 2013.

1. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

eh, I've got a fawn colored pug,,,,,,,,small dogs with fur enough for a lion. And they shed. A LOT.

everything I own has pug fur on it,,,,,nothing different about the camper.

2. carolgundlach

carolgundlach New Member

We bring our doggie beds with us and put them on the folded-down table and seats. The dogs do shed but we track so much dirt in ourselves that they don' t make much difference. I take a very small shop vac with us and, between that and a broom, I can keep thebinside of the camper pretty clean.

3. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

We have two large, extra furry beasts. A woolie alaskan malamute, and a woolie siberian husky. Woolie being the term for a longer more dense coat. My big guy is the size of a bear cub.

In our pup we had an 8x6 box and it was tight at night, but they slept with us. Now husky's are well known houdini's so my wife would hook her lead to the sibe and the other end went around DW's wrist. Canvas, bunks especially, would not hold her.
    We also had a minivan at the time we got them, and they traveled loosely in there.

Fast forward, we now own a Suburban with individual crates for each dog in the cargo hold. They camp with us in a TT with a slideout, so we still have a floor to walk on if they're laying on it. They could and would easily sleep in their crates in the Suburban, but if they started to fuss we'd likely not hear them in the TT. So they sleep with us.

We geared our new TV and TT towards them, our kids are grown and they are our pals that we camp with. You make sacrifices but then again we don't notice them at all. We've been camping once without them, and it felt awkward the whole time...like something was missing.

We do have a friend who has a sled team, and she'll keep her dogs in crates on the truck at night, but these are kennels built for transporting and housing a sled team. And it is anything but quiet when one gets going.

4. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We take all three of our dogs, a Pomeranian, and two Shih-Tzu terrier crosses camping with us all the time. They love being in the camper and so sleep with us in there. In fact this past weekend one of them cried when I was setting up the bunks. She wanted to get in... and wanted the windows zipped down so she could lay on the bed and watch things around camp.
    As for avoiding dog hair from them in the camper... not sure I have even thought of it... our biggest pain is the dirt that comes in on our feet... but when camping dirt is just part of the experience... kind of like going to bed coated in Deep Woods Off... We do zip up the windows about 6 inches when we leave them in the camper when we are away from camp to get ice or wood... this is done so they wont claw a hole in the screens. I also learned that zipping the windows up all the way in the end facing the road where people pass by is a good thing when leaving the in there... they then do not see as many things to bark at going by.

5. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

We have a 4 month old dog and a 3 week old PopUp camper. He loves camping even before the camper. He is dashund.

While camping 2 weeks ago the family went to the pool and i could not leave him in the tent.
    i came to the campsite from work on a friday [110 miles ] so i just rode my motorcycle there. did not have a chance to go home /change from my formal clothes and drive the car.
    so i found out that weekend, if i leave the side case top off , he rides on the side of the motorcycle inside the campground. people gave me a weird look , but he even took a nap on his ride back .he is very social , we had to watch one thing as he a mini dashound is when bigger dogs want to play with him.

satz

6. NEWTOME

NEWTOME Member

Maggie is a 9 year old black lab/husky mix. Been camping with us since she was a pup. Well behaved and has to be in bed by 930. Gets up every night we camp and lets us know she wants to go to bed. When we have other people with us they cant believe it. She gets vocal when other dogs walk by, but show me a dog that doesn't Wont camp without her. This is our first camper and its no different for her than tenting......

7. ghri49

ghri49 Member

The dogs always go with us and sleep in the camper. However things are going to get tight on this next trip. My parents are going to come with us and we will have 4, 70 lb dogs along with 4 adults and my 2yr old. All in the pup. Luckily it is a larger one but still might prove to be to much. Wish us luck

8. shawnba

shawnba Shitters full!!!

I have seen everything from children`s gates to electric invisible fences used, but that is during the day. My beagle who loves to chase after a good smell, is attached to the trailer during the day with a lead and he loves to sit in the shade and take it all in. I would never leave a dog outside at night due to the wildlife, but a good dog bed, or say bed cover for the dog hair would help. Another thing is to make sure that the dog has been thoroughly brushed before going away camping and this should help.

9. kpic

kpic New Member

Ours sleeps in the PUP with us, during the day she is on a 1/2" rope. The length of the rope is about 25' and I vary how much she can use by the size of the site.

10. Jeni Ann

Jeni Ann Member

I have camped my entire life and have seen (I think!) every way to camp with dogs. Only occasionally have dogs been a problem and then not for long! I used to see dogs sleeping next to tents and under busses & campers all the time. Now I never see a dog out after dark. Times have changed, camping has changed and how we treat our dogs has changed (for some of us). I take one of my dogs (a Feist) and won't take the other (Great Pyrenees). The dog is with me constantly and sleeps nearby, just like at home. She is ALWAYS on lead, even before the camper door opens, unlike at home. Dog hair? It is everywhere. [:I]