Anyone Regret Buying New???

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by 3charter, Mar 4, 2012.

1. 3charter

3charter New Member

Spring is coming and I got the bug.....Have been wanting to upgrade for some time and find the used market a bit thin. Cant really find what I want so I have been thinking about buying new. I know ill get what i want, but will I regret it. Have you jumped into a new PUP and regretted it?...why or why not?

2. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I bought my pup new. I don't regret it. It would have been nice to pay less for a barely used one, but we've been stung buying large ticket items used before. I did my research before buying, but since I had never owned one, I didn't know what could go bad on a pup or how easily it would be fixed.

Whenever we decide to buy a different camper, we will probably buy new then also. I really like knowing the entire history or my pup.

3. iceman

iceman New Member

We bought new and glad I did being our first found problems that were covered under warranty.

4. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Our first popup, we bought new. It was the previous model year but never used but at a much lower price. They had MANY to choose from. We had our pick of several Coleman models. I did not regret buying new. What I did regret was not taking into account growing children and buying larger. LOL

5. coverus

coverus castra magna est

We bought new and have not regretted. It was our first camper as well. If we ever decide to upgrade we would look the used route but if we could not find what satisfies us we would have no qualms buying new again.

6. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

We did our research beforehand to see what we wanted. There was NOTHING in the used market so we checked out a local RV show. We were impressed with what was available and the price was right so we bought new. It is so nice to be the first to use the beds, the stove and fridge, etc etc.

I look at it this way..the little bit of money you save by buying used can be spent for peace of mind. And sometimes it's just nice to have something new once in a while.

If we had taken out a loan we might have had second thoughts. If you can afford it .. Go for it.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't regret buying new at all but I didn't pay full retail. I bought a Fleetwood Yuma that was one model year old but had never been sold. It sat on the dealer's lot and was also brought to an RV show as a display. I got a super price on it as well as several concessions on related things. I used it for three years and only had one problem, the igniter in the furnace, which was covered under warranty. I sold it for almost what I paid when I decided to move up to the TrailManor.

8. papachaz

papachaz New Member

most of the angst over buying new is the worry about immediate depreciation. if you're planning on keeping it several years, that doesn't matter. I've bought several new vehicles, i usually keep a vehicle 6 or 7 years and get my money's worth out of it!

the best bet for buying new is as already mentioned, find a new 'last years model' that you can work a better deal on

9. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

we got ours new, the fun part was figuring out how everything worked and you had the warrenty too, which did help

10. br9

br9 Member

We bought the pup new. Traded it in on a new tt. Wife loved it we got to pick our own options. Built just for us.

11. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

I bought new back in 06, and have no regrets. It was very reassuring to have the warranty, and not have to worry about something crapping out within a year or two of purchase.

My PUP is showing some wear now, but, I've been using it as a spare house for over a year while working on the main house.

12. Biohazard

Biohazard If its new, take it apart and make it better !!!!

We had a used Pup, sold it and was hesitant to buy new but like you said, the used market is full of overpriced pups that didn't have exactly what we wanted so we started to look at new. We found a great deal from last years model, added the few things that we wanted and are very happy with the result. Now we have a full warranty and like others have said, we plan an always having a pup so new was the right way to go instead of upgrading to a newer used one every few years.

13. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I forgot to mention that we ended up having a leak in the roof. It was covered under warranty. I had to pay the $800 for delivery of the new roof, but I've heard that replacing the roof can be over $3000. This would not have been covered under warranty if I wasn't the original owner.

14. electronflux

electronflux Member

I did the same at UT, bought the 2010 model year in 2011, and since Coleman closed their plant the price was even more deeply discounted. The only downside is that there's no factory warranty, but that doesn't matter since I'm pretty handy.

15. Ksuburban

Ksuburban New Member

I bought new and now would not even think about buying a used one. It is nice to have the piece of mind that the trailer is covered under the warranty. If you buy a used one you get no warranty. It was also nice not having to remove anyone elses stink from the beds, toilet, and everything else. If you are planing on keeping it then who cares about it depreciating in value.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Like ElectronFlux, we bought a new-old-stock Coleman. While we were not interested in another project camper, having renovated one 2 seasons before, we would have bought used if we'd found anything likely. Even at the end of August, there was nothing used in the size and with the features we wanted. Got a great deal, took a friend who is good at bargaining and goes camping with me, so she had a vested interest in me buying the new pup (DH never saw it until we picked it up, I did all the shopping and choosing). The end price was comparable to the few used ones I saw advertised on CL, at dealers, etc.
    We did get a third-party warranty, but knew we would deal with any small stuff ourselves. We plan on using this for a long time, this was the upgrade in size/features from the previous one.

17. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I'm so happy we bought used. Ours was in very condition, the interior was immaculate, and we paid a fraction of the cost of buying new. Lack of a warranty has made no difference to us; we've had virtually no maintenance to take care of. The earlier owner took all the hit on depreciation. Our cost savings are funding several cross-country trips and all our weekend camping.

If you go over a camper carefully when purchasing, you can identify any possible issues. Why throw away money on a new camper when it's going to lose a third or a quarter of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot?

18. iceman

iceman New Member

We bought ours with cash so we did a lot of haggling and got it for what we were willing to pay which is a lot less than county assessment for taxes!

19. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We bought new and do not regret it. We looked at some used, but didn't want to deal with other people's problems. There's always something you don't see before you buy. There were a few things that needed to be fixed when we picked it up, but we took it in after we were done with it for the season and they fixed all of them.One bunk end had a small hole in the canvas. They replaced the whole bunk end canvas. We even had to reseason the canvas after that. It has been a good experience for us, knowing that we were the only ones to use the beds and sink, fridge, etc. We had to travel 60 miles to that dealership, but it was worth it for the deal.

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We bought our pup new and don't regret it at all!!