Anyone Regret Buying New???

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by 3charter, Mar 4, 2012.

1. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We bought both of our pups new. We both have allergies, which were kicked in by used boats we owned in the past. We didn't want that from our pup. Don't regret it.

2. thecigarmann

thecigarmann New Member

I don't regret buying new. I didn't want to be working on something as soon as I brought it home. I wanted everything to smell and look fresh. There is always a chance that something will break or doesn't work like it should even if you buy new. Depreciation makes no difference if you plan to keep it for many years.

3. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

I do not regret buying new. We knew what we wanted which was the 2008 Fleetwood Arcadia. We could not find any used ones since it was a new model in 2007. Even though we did find some 07 model out there, I thought the color scheme was terrible. When we walked into the 08, we knew we found "the one". Someone once said, buy your second pup first. We have a family of 6, it sleeps all of us, has every ammenity you can get, minus the ac which I didnt want.

4. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

At first i thought this bad idea my older D said there was no room because i went from a 12 ft with slide out dinnet to a 10ft camper with no slide out but on my new camper i had to take in for some work and it was cover under the warranty so did i Regret buying new No.

5. Pool Runner

Pool Runner We also love our GoldWing!

We bought "new" because we could not find a used trailer like we wanted. We also knew we would be keeping the trailer for many years. No regrets!!

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I bought a NEW one year old pup at a substantially reduced price with no regrets

7. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

My First PUP was new......we had to sell due to job loss, bought an identical trailer few years later and kept it for 9 yrs with out any issues other than doing regular maintenance and we traded her in. We have just bought a new Jayco Jayfeather X213, do I regret it? No...could not find a used one. I got it for an excellent price and no one has slept in it or used the appliances. We love the newness of the trailer and we plan to keep it that way that is until our grandchild arrives in May:)....and you know kids..lol

8. Pilot371

Pilot371 Member

Bought new when we went to RV show last year - had been looking at used for about 2 years, never saw what we wanted - ended up getting new - WE'll be keeping it along time, so no issue in terms of depreciation from our perspective. Really like that it was new to.

9. TKG

TKG New Member

We almost bought new. And I mean ALMOST. In the late stages of negotiations the dealer and I let $300 be the deal breaker.

I am so happy that it worked out that way. We were about to spend $8K on a tiny, very basic unit. A few days later we found a great camper that was only three years old for $5K. It's bigger, feature packed and again... $5K instead of $8K. :)

10. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Almost and identical story for me. I got about twice the p'up for half the cost buying a lightly used one just a couple of years old.

I think I may have regreted it for the simple fact that I was going to have to finance. We camp when we can....sometimes it's a whole lot and other seasons we hardly get out; I think I would have felt some regret last season when we really couldn't get out due to camping restrictions in the state....would have felt like I was making payments for nothing.

11. drhuggybear

drhuggybear Member

We bought ours new as we are just getting into [PU]. I am sure as you have done this for a while buying used would be easier as you know what to look for on used units. I didnt want to get something that I regretted because I missed something important.

12. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I have bought used twice and invested a lot of work to clean up and repair. Since I have time on my hands, I enjoyed the challenge. However, if I buy a robust and light weight off road PUP (such as Tentrax), it will probably be new. I have not seen any used ones for sale.

13. K2

K2 New Member

I have always bought used, takes more research and time. The RV market is full of units with little use as some people have diminished interest over time. Properly cared for, these are a bargain.

I don't understand the argument that depreciation doesn't matter if you buy new and keep it for a while. Most units begin to flat line after 5 to 7 years. If I purchase at a discount in year 3 or 4 your cost will always be less.

Saving thousands up front will pay for lots of warranty items.

14. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We didn't even consider depreciation when we bought new. We just didn't want someone else's junk, and spend the summer fixing it up so we could use it the next year. We wanted to get out as soon as possible. And we did.We brought it home in August and went out in it in September.

15. Biohazard

Biohazard If its new, take it apart and make it better !!!!

its all about what you feel comfortable doing... if you are constanly looking to upgrade and buying a different pup every few years then new is prob not for you, unless money doesn't matter, but if you are planning on buying one pup and keeping it for years then new might be the way to get exactly what you want and know that nothing is hiding to be fixed... new or used, its fun either way.. [:D]

16. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

We bought new. Once we decided on a model, we found very few used ones for sale. So we had to purchase new.

The one thing I would refuse to do is finance a camper. We payed cash for ours new (did the same for our last vehicle).

Would I purchase a camper used if I found one a great shape and at a great savings? Sure.

17. K2

K2 New Member

Wow, I never realized how long it would take to get camping. Thankfully, there are still people who don't account for value. Makes buying used even more financially viable.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If a camper requires repairs before use, most likely it is going to take longer than originally planned, if it is anything like many peoples' home repair projects; most things seem to take us 3x the original estimate + a fudge factor!

We would have considered a good used pup when we bought last year; however, there were none in the size we needed that were as good a deal as the new one we got. When we bought our previous pup, it was 15 years old (or so) and in shape that we could camp in it immediately. However, when it needed renovation after a few years, it took us about 4 months over the winter. It might have been a bit faster if we'd had garage space, but we were still limited to DH's days off; if it had been over a the summer we'd have been wanting to go hiking and camping instead.

19. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

I totally agree, Travelhoveler. DH and I never considered buying new, and after looking at five pups over the course of a month last December found one perfect for our needs - as well as barely used, and in near-pristine condition. We paid somewhat more than our original top-dollar of $4k but after what we'd seen we knew this was a great deal. The sellers came down a bit and we came up a bit and everyone was happy. We've camped in it six times so far since we picked it up on December 23rd and have had no problems. So bottom line: for roughly 1/3 the price of a new, similar model and paying cash without breaking the bank we are VERY happy with our used, new-to-us pup. :)

20. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

I recently bought used...VERY used, but not in need of major repairs. If I had the money for new, I would have loved to buy new, or at least newer. Here is my opinion on the difference between the 2... (most of the pros and cons for new also work for almost new)

Pros on New: no fixing it up, everything clean and shiny, bed ends rolled out like butter, no hitch issues or wiring issues, I knew that there was a warranty if needed (we never needed it), I KNEW the mattresses were clean, the dealer through in all kinds of extras, being able to choose exactly what we wanted without waiting for a used one to show up, it was so pretty, newest safety features.

Cons on New: we traded it in a year and a half later for something bigger and took a hit, I fretted about anything getting messed up, I freaked when the kids spilled something and worried about dings and dents on the cabinets and outside the camper.

Pros on Used: great price (mine was $2K), not too concerned about dings and dents since it is "pre dented", I can paint it, decorate it and make it my own without worrying about "messing it up", I know that I can sell it today for what I paid for it, the repairs that needed done were fairly minor (such as the rear and side light, fridge hinge, stabilizer)

Cons on Used: I spent about 4-5 hours cleaning it, it was dirty, I had to vacuum all of the mattresses and cushions, the fridge was gross and had a hinge missing and the door rack, there was something sticky in the drawer that took forever to get out, I had to vacuum inside all of the cabinets and under benches, the hitch wiring is temperamental and needs to be replaced, one stabilizer needs replaced, 2 lights needed replaced outside. all in all, not much work compared to the price.

Also, I got a signed title but it was from out of state, I can't transfer the title to my name in my state without a bill of sale notarized in the state the title was in. I did not know I would need this and the seller has yet to get it to me. New, from a dealer would not run the chance of registration issues.

Bottom line, if you know exactly what you want and that you will be keeping it for years and it is in your budget, I would recommend as close to new as possible. If you are handy, like tinkering or are on a tight budget, get as used as you can. I was told that for $2K, I should get a pup that was ready to roll, mine was, just really really dirty.