Anyone revert back to tents?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JohnWI, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I still have the Coleman Instant Tent that I used before I got the Viking PUP. It is one of those tents that one person can fully set up by themselves in 60 seconds. I used it many times in the past. But I haven't used it in a long time now. I keep thinking that I would like to take my 4X4 truck and the tent back in some of those areas where I couldn't get the PUP in. I had a single size airbed to sleep on and a Mr. Heater Buddy for short bursts of heat in the morning if needed. The airbed and my sleeping bag were very comfortable, but getting up off the ground in the morning became more and more difficult as I grew older. So the last few times I used the tent I added a single size camping cot. There was plenty of room in my truck for the other necessities, like a camping stove, Lantern, water, a chair and some food articles. Since I was almost always in the boondocks with the tent, a portable toilet was not necessary. There was always plenty of trees around and I had a shovel. The only problem with the Coleman Instant Tent was how much it weighed. You definitely weren't going to take it backpacking.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...96,B00FGPY9CE,B07XHDZGYP,B01MA2B8W7&srpt=TENT

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I really want to get a Gazelle tent, or an Oztent, but both are pricey propositions. They also take up a lot of room lengthwise when packed. I think even with my SUV they would have to be strapped up top or sit in the middle resting on the center console which would screw up my packing organization.

Hilldweller likes this.
  3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

4. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

Tents from Australia and South Africa are in a class by themselves. Military grade, hefty hefty. They can last generations of hard use; your kids will fight over that tent when you're dead.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I think it is reverse cost. They are an Australian brand, so probably way more expensive to get them over here, especially on the limited basis since it is more of a niche product. They are also nothing like what we have over here - you can't really compare Australian camping to what we see, even with the overlanding crowd. Kodiak and Springbar stuff is super expensive too for heavy canvas style tents. I would love to get an Redverz Atacama for motocamping too, but that sucker is also way out of my price range. I like the comfort a larger tent brings, but always looking for a way to reduce setup time and effort.

Hilldweller likes this.
  6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

After battling with some health issues this past year,and losing my license and driving privledges for over 10 months, plus the fact my wife was scared to death and refused pulling a large camper. I resorted to camping back in a tent to salvage any type of camping season I could , it wasn’t bad, even fun, taking me back to my early camping days, The biggest issue I disliked o was constantly having to pack and unpack and basically working out of the truck bed most weekends. It nice to have storage and places. For your gear as I have more with the camper, I have a small dome tent, that says sleeps 4. But more like two in my opinion . Maybe a bigger cabin style would be a better fit for me . I still plan on using the tent on occasion, but over all prefer my trailer for most occasions

7. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Have I reverted to a tent? No I haven’t. Do I still have and use a tent? Yes I do. I have other pursuits that render my pop up impractical. Such as whitewater rafting, float in fishing and I still backpack some. If I think back over it I’ll offer the following, Never say Never! I thought I’d never be on/get on a dirt bike again till I did a 4 day/3 night OBDR, (Okay a Duel Sport, don’t judge me) ride a year ago. Good thing I still had my backpack tent and travel gear.

Good luck and camp on everyone.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  8. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

after losing our PUP at the end of the 2020 season, we started 2021 back in our 6 person tent.

it reinforced the reasons we got the PUP in the first place

having to go back to Tenting meant that we had to carefully pick the site that would mitigate "drainage", carry an additional ground cloth, "raking" the ground under the tent site, staking out the Tent, carrying the Cots for sleeping, bringing our “Coleman” stove… YADA YADA YADA... all the "skills" [and equipment] we honed in the years prior to the PUP… even with the Grand Caravan “Stow ‘N Go”, we still had to hitch the Cargo Carrier to haul all the gear [and we consider ourselves “minimalists”… ha ha… that’s a joke… those “creature comforts” seem to be slowly creeping into my life… DANG!]

Don’t get me wrong…. CAMPING IS CAMPING… heck, I’d set up camp under a tarp, if it was my only choice, just so I could get back into the woods...short of the "end of the world", nothing is gonna keep me from the woods [and, when it comes, THATS where I would want to face it... DW could use the trench shovel and just burry me where I fell LOL]… but,…. having mostly everything “self-contained”, and off the ground, enabled these “old bones” to keep getting out there.

To quote Billy Joel… “If it seems like I've been lost In let's remember. If you think I'm feeling older and missing my younger days…. You know the good ole days weren't always good And tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems”

Happy Trails!

Rik Peery, Pommom70 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I have over the decades, gone between tent, van, truck camper, pop up in a varied rotation.

I currently have a 96 Coleman PU, but with a truck going through a repower / restoration VERY slowly...

I also have a collection of tents. A sierra designs Sirius 3 is my favorite small tent, and God willing my back and hip wil heal up enough to use it again...

My wifes favorite tent is a Swiss Gear Appenzell 3 room modified dome tent 10x20. It's wonderful when set up, seriously, although the factory seam sealing blows chunks. I hosed it down with Silicone Waterproofer and fixed the leak problems, but from the factory it leaked terribly. Setup on it is awful, It has something like 12 poles, and 16 guy out points. I despise setting it up.

My favorite tent is a cheapie Ozark Trail Dark Rest 10x14 instant setup cabin tent. For me, pain free setup / teardown. Almost full standing room, less heat gain from morning sun. Allows me to sleep in and sleep off a Ren Fest mead hangover... NO it is not the best materials, but the design is dead on for my taste...

10. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I have a gazelle t4. The overland just gets you a beefier carry bag, stakes, and a thick ground cloth.

I used it a half dozen times. It's been great. But still the unevenness of the ground just bothered me so. It did setup easy and it was a nice size. I upgraded from the Coleman instant 4 person. That was also decent and worked well in cooler weather.

Truth be told, unless the weather is bad the Coleman does just fine, and is half the weight and size. With 4, there is zero storage. It's really wall to wall.
    The entry and exit is my largest complaint on these. The gazelle is a half circle. The Coleman door is a little low. I guess it all depends on where you are going, and for how long.

11. Nimron

Nimron Active Member

We have a Jayco 14SO and a Nimrod pioneer tent trailer, but packed our tent and gear and flew to San Fran and drove to Big Suhr for a long weekend. Have done the same at Glacier NP. If we can get out there with a tent we will. Beautiful place being in the redwoods. I would love to take my nimrod there someday. There was an Airstream in a spot that looked like it could be a postcard (thought the nimrod would look good in that spot). Also liked the tent boxes mounted on top of the vehicles. I wont give up the popup, but sometimes a tent is nice change of pace.

jmkay1 and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  12. BBQdave

BBQdave Well-Known Member

I've used the Coleman Cabin tent - instant setup. It's 4P, so myself and my two kids fit comfortably. Got lucky and have a Coleman Queen air mattress that does not leak and stays inflated - several years old. The kids and I throw our sleeping bags across it and our comfortable. Upgraded my game, and added an eggcrate foam topper to the mattress - sleeping bliss :)

When I am out solo I have a camping cot or a smaller insulated Klymit inflatable sleeping pad. The Klymit inflatable sleeping pad packs down to the size of a loaf of bread, so easier to store and transport. I've added a foam topper to it as well - topper rolls up to the size of a small sleeping bag.

Read an old old article by a Scout Master that put forth it is better to put your ground cover on the inside of the tent. His reasoning was most floor punctures comes from the inside of the tent - out. Been doing just that for a few years - dry inside on rainy days, and no worries of a miss placed ground cover pulling water under and in the tent.

I hit the tent with water proofing spray every couple of seasons - stays dry in the tent :)

I like the versatility of car camping with a tent. But I also envy the storage and mostly setup for camp you have with a pup. I'm moving and sorted a few camp bins with each base camp set up :)

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  13. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Back when we tent camped in a two room 14x10, DW bought a Coleman 10x9 for quickie two-night camps, one of those "Sets up in one minute!" types (translation: sets up in 7-10 minutes which is fine). Used it once together but I've used it solo many times since, when bring along the pup would be overkill. Just two weeks ago we went back up to Lake Blue Ridge and walked the campground...and the walk-in tent sites were so cool looking (as always) and weather was so perfect I just had to run back the next day for a couple nights of tent camping. Very cold the first night so I chickened out and used my Buddy heater the next, toasty!

14. 1800 Blue Ridge Rider

1800 Blue Ridge Rider Passed Camping 101, 202, & 303 Gold Supporting Member

We have gone back and forth. I still have my Kodiak Canvas 10x10 Flex-Bow tent. That thing is bomb proof! I honestly think it would stand up to a stronger storm than the pop up would. I also have a smaller two person Flex-Bow for lighter motorcycle camping. Kodiak Canvas tents CANNOT be beat!

15. Mcladdy

Mcladdy New Member

I got the pop up so I wouldn’t have to pack and unpack the truck each camping trip. Everything stays in the pop up till the next trip.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Our popups were both small - well tiny @ 6' and small @ 8', so keeping everything in the popup, as we'd originally planned, was just a dream. It does work for some, but people need to be aware of what space is left when a popup is folded down. It was still great to be off of wet ground with the popups, the main reason we bought the first one, and to have a space to cook easy food inside in bad weather. All the food stayed in the tow vehicle with both of them (not just space, but for safety from animals), so we just toted the boxes to cooking space inside or out.

Mark CASTELLANI and BBQdave like this.
  17. Mark CASTELLANI

@Mcladdy ....YUP, same here...

FWIW, attached is the schematic of the gear we permanently kept in the PUP... the 'Fire Box', 'Hillbilly Washing Machine', the 'Luggable-Loo', the portable solar panels/solar batteries and the 'EZ Up' canopy tent, laid out on the floor... JUST HITCH UP AND GO [LOL]

I'm with @kitphantom ...
    ... a philosophy kept from our tenting days

Happy Trails!

Attached Files:

BillyMc likes this.
  18. Mark CASTELLANI

PS... the Inventory List was printed [laminated hard copy] so everyone knew where things where and where they were SUPPOSED to go back [raised three kiddos in that PUP... tried to impart the "everything has it's place and everything IN it's place"]

Happy Trails!

19. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hah, we too had 'invested' in a 10x14 Coleman tent with a swinging door (That sold me on this tent ;o), then two years later DW said I'd like us to get a trailer. We used our 'hotel', as I called it a few seasons. No regrets, but I still makes me chuckle to upgrade our tenting to: awesome tent, new cots and other nice tent accessories... then shift gears to a pup. :eek:)

20. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

DW calls it "Home Place". Everything needs to go back home.