Anyone revert back to tents?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JohnWI, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Mcladdy

Mcladdy New Member

We store a ton of canned food in the pop up. It’s pretty safe against animals, means less shopping to camping and we also use the pop up as a bug-out emergency home if something ever happens and we need to be ready.

Rik Peery likes this.
  2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Careful in freezing weather. Not sure if it froze or not, but we had a can that was swollen and leaked over the winter. The rest of the cans were all rusty on the bottom from being wet.

3. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

The question raised by the subject is continually in review and, at least in my case, revision, so kudos to the resurrection of an older thread instead of starting another thread on the same subject.
    Did I revert back to tents? Not really. "Towards" tents is a more apt description.
    As DW and I have changed in the 40 years we've been together (evolved, aged, whatever), frivolous fru-fru luxuries have also evolved, first through niceties, and now into "necessities": thermostatic controlled heat, air conditioning, fridge/freezer, a flush toilet, hot and cold running water, always dry bedding. We have all those in our fiberglass Casita, but we also have trailer weight, size, cost, designated tow vehicle, fuel use increase, loss of spontaneity. Not huge downsides when setting up as a base for three+ days at a time, but .......
    I wanted to preserve at least the option of some of the solo irresponsibility I had before I chose marriage, but now in in my 60's. I'm no longer willing to sleep on the ground, not willing to select more tow vehicle than 98% of my needs suggest just for the off-chance I'll haul some mass of air resistance somewhere, sometime. So I have a Coleman Colorado for these admittedly infrequent solo trips. Quick set-up (and take-down), off ground, light weight, low profile, tow-able by nearly anything on 4 wheels, interior standing height. I've added a few of the 'nice-cessities' I appreciate in the Casita into the Colorado: Three way cooler, casette toilet, propane heat.
    I have the best of both (my opinion), or maybe you think I have the worst of both. That's OK.

4. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

We hadn't brought our aliner when we went to Ely last summer, and our tent zipper quit working, the mosquitoes came in in droves. We went into town and bought a new tent, I really like a tent, but I can't [email protected] to get back up there in our aliner, it's thebacking in part that I don't love. And, we had to sleep that night in our ford ranger. That really sucked.

5. Susan Premo

My husband worries bears can smell canned food. Do they?

6. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

7. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

After sleeping for the first time in our new PUP a couple of years ago I don't reckon I'll be tenting any time soon. I am slowly passing my tents along to my children and grandchildren.

Susan Premo likes this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

If you're to believe a lot of what's said, a bear can smell a single crumb of food encased in epoxy from 50 miles away and will be over to claim it within minutes.

Anthony Hitchings and Arruba like this.
  9. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

For all you urban dwellers that have a bear phobia I have been tent camping in Alaska and all over the Southwest since 1973.
    Not once did I have a bear close by that could not be scared away by a loud noise.
    Hunters are in more danger than campers. Hiking alone without bear spray is another danger.
    I sold my popup in November so I could return to tent camping.

Susan Premo and tfischer like this.
  10. Mcladdy

Mcladdy New Member

Most of my camping is on or near the coast. No bears. Only seen them in the Sierras and Yosemite. A lot of crazy dysfunctional bears in Yosemite

11. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I have only reverted inasmuch as there are places I can't take the popup trailer because the roads are too rough.

The White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park is one example. For that I would take a tent, plenty of water, a good camp stove and fold-up table. Wouldn't bother with a canopy. Yes, it would be great to have shade, but that's a drive, camp, and move on type of trip.

kitphantom likes this.
  12. Susan Premo

We like both, we have cots for the tent, can't lay comfortably on the ground. ​

NMroamer and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If the right trip came along, I'd stay in a tent, as long as I didn't have to put it up myself. The White Rim Trail trip davido mentioned would be one such trip, if my joints would handle the road.
    I can still sleep on the ground with the right sleeping pad (must be genetic, in spite of all the arthritic joints my dad had - and as I have now - he napped on the floor until he died in his '70s, just on a rug). I was wishing I had my Thermarest mattress with me when a friend and I stayed in a cabin last fall - the bed was so bad I was considering tossing all the bedding on the floor and sleeping there for relief. Almost 2 months later and my cranky shoulder/upper back are still recovering. I missed having my camper!

14. Susan Premo

I have two cranky shoulders, I had frozen shoulder in my left, therapy helped. Now my hands fall asleep in a lying down position with my hands up too high. Getting old my be a gift, but it's tough too. My father in law was the same way you mentioned, he'd lay on the floor all the time.

kitphantom likes this.
  15. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

I have the opposite problem as most of you. Popup beds kill my bad hip in just one night. A canvas cot with a 2 inch pad and I sleep like a baby.

Susan Premo and BBQdave like this.
  16. BBQdave

BBQdave Well-Known Member

Very happy with my Coleman camp cot. It has springs that attach the canvas to the frame, a foam pad and really comfortable. Plus gives me storage under cot in the tent.

It folds large though, and requires a little planning to bring it on a camp trip :)

It seems like I'm a Coleman Camp rep, but that was not my intention :)
    My gear is old, caught some good sales years ago. Was not expecting the equipment to last, but it has. I would caution that in recent years Coleman has appeared to change in quality. So what I have is not the Coleman Camp gear of today.

Edit: not a Coleman rep :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    Susan Premo and Rik Peery like this.
  17. Susan Premo

That's what ours are, I do like the under the cot space. There used to be stores called united store, they were great for camping gear. Gone for quite awhile.