Anyone take 2 spare tires?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Smazze, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Smazze

Smazze New Member

we travel a lot on interstates on long trips. I’ve only had 1 blowout - driving too fast- and one flat in a parking lot from a nail. But finding a spare to replace the one I put on is almost impossible in the right size and load range. And I don’t wanna not have a spare.

So I’m thinking of getting another but not sure where I’d keep it. Any suggestions? Wondering if there’s a way I could mount under the trailer somehow.

Lowcountry likes this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

In almost four decades of towing trailers, I've had to use a spare one time. I think trying to haul around two spares is overkill. Maybe stick with one spare and carry a can of fix-a-flat.

Econ likes this.
  3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We have in the past. In some more western states, roads are graveled with a material called scoria. This reddish rock has sharp edges and likes to cut threw your tires, especially if the tread is getting thin. In western ND, we got a flat and drove 100+ miles and to several locations, to find all the parts necessary to repair this. For the next time, we made sure the tires were near new, and brought two spares. Pumpers* out there carry two in there trucks.

* people who check oil wells.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Milemaker13 likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I carry two spares when I have brand new tires on the pup. Got defective tires one time and had a side wall blow out and a large bubble on the other tire.

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

only on very long trips

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If we're going to a remote location or more than a couple hundred miles from home I like to carry 2, especially with any age on the tires. Just gives me peace of mind because I had to find one before. Being a few hundred miles from home without a spare is worrisome.

I carry mine in the bed of the truck, but you didn't say what you're towing or towing with so it's hard to give a good recommendation.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

You should be able to add one under the A-Frame like on boat trailers or a bumper mount available from Etrailer.

Milemaker13, Smazze and J Starsky like this.
  8. Smazze

Smazze New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, we carry one currently bolted onto the back of the popup, I don't think it's on the rear bumper at all. My TV is a Toyota Sienna MV setup with a WDH. We have 4 small kids so we pack heavily and there's not much room anywhere in the trailer or van for another spare. I will look at the bumper mounts and maybe something on the A frame, but we the WDH L brackets are there too already. With the kids especially I can't imagine being stuck anywhere without a spare, which is why I'm thinking of getting another for piece of mind and hunting down another tire for 2+ hours isn't fun either after they've already been in the car for 8+ hours.

Attached Files:

9. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of something like this under the A-Frame.
    sparecarrier.jpg

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

2 spares are a good idea.
    Under the A frame is good, under the frame anywhere really. The rear bumper is another great spot. I wonder if you could double up on the existing carrier. Although mine is like yours, mounted to the camper not the bumper. I dont think id want extra weight hanging there.
    Go for the rear bumper :)

11. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

I would rather have two and not need them than need them and not have them. I blew two on the same side of a tandem once. The first blew out and got changed then about a half hour later the forward tire blew. I had two spares luckily. The only thing I can figure is that what ever took out the first tire also damaged the second and I didn't see it. It's more likely too happen with a tandem than a single if the blowout is caused by debris. I replace trailer tires usually at the first sign of cracking. Lets face it rim/tire combos aren't that expensive to replace every few years compared to a hiway or remote road blowout. I have never had a trailer tire wear out.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Orchid, Arlyn Aronson and Milemaker13 like this.
  12. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I would have advised strapping it to the roof rack on the Sienna but I see that space is already taken. The rear bumper is not strong enough to support a spare and I don't think you have enough ground clearance to mount it under the frame. Mounting double on the existing spare mount is possible but I doubt the mount could handle the weight without major reinforcement.

The only option I see still open is inside the door, last in first out, but I bet that space is taken too.

13. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I hung a spare rubber (no rim) under my flat deck for a while, but never needed it. Tossed it once I replaced the older tires.

14. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

This is what I was going to say. Put a blanket or beach towel under it, ratchet strap it down tightly and tuck it under the front of your bike trailer.

15. Smazze

Smazze New Member

Top of the van isn't a bad thought. We don't always have the bike trailer up there and are looking for one that folds up. Sometimes we put a roof bag up there though. I was liking the rear bumper idea, but as Steve P said, I'm not sure if it could handle the weight/bounce. There's nothing else on it currently, but it doesn't seem real sturdy to me. I will look around the A frame and see if there's an option there, hate to add more tongue weight but my Weight distribution bars are 600lbs so should still be under that. Again thanks for all the suggestions.

16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Had a blowout on our latest trip, and used the spare for the first time. We had no issues locating a new tire at a Walmart down the road. I didn't want to go without a spare for the rest of the trip (about 1500 more miles of driving) either.

17. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

What Make and Model Camper do you have? What is the tire size?

Milemaker13 likes this.
  18. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

You could try one of these on the tongue but it will increase your turn radius and could damage your lift gate.

19. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Fortunately for me, the TV and the Camper both use the same size tires. So I'm already carrying 2 spares.

Depending on where your current spare is located and the size, you could just piggy-back them. The added weight should not be a problem, again, depending on the size. Or, mount it on the opposite side of the bumper, just don't cover and lights or the license plate.

20. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I had one trip that had two blowouts - one on the way down, and another on the way back. Thankfully I had replaced the spare while at the destination. I don't have many options for a 2nd one though. The spare is bolted to the rear of the camper, not the bumper. Besides, my grey water tote is transported back there so I don't have any room on the rear. My pup uses a torsion axle instead of leaf springs, which means it is much lower to the ground than everyone else. I can't hang anything underneath without severely impeding ground clearance. The only place I could put it would be in the front trunk, but it would have to sit angled, and would take up a good amount of valuable storage space.

Since that one trip with 2 blowouts, I now operate with the understanding that the bad tire gets replaced on the trip. If I can stop at a Wal Mart or Northern Tool on the way and get a new tire we are good. Otherwise, get to the campground, get setup, and make a trip in the morning.

I did have a defective new tire last year as well - bubble on the sidewall so I changed it out in a gas station. This year I think I may get some of the wireless temp/pressure monitors to give me some more data and early warning of any issues.

Toedtoes likes this.