Anyone take 2 spare tires?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Smazze, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Smazze

Smazze New Member

I will put some thought into a piggyback situation on the back. Or I guess I could do what one poster said and just keep the extra rubber since that's the hard part to find. It's a 2016 Flagstaff 185/80/R13. Load D. Last week our trip to Panama City we had a blowout around Montgomery and called/went to 4 different places including Walmart with no luck. All special order. So I drove the last few hours wo a spare...slowly. Found a place in Panama that had 1 on clearance 2 years old and only load level c, but was the best I could do. We made it back to Chicago without incident. Our last flat was in Texas and had to use a 175/80/R13 Load C to replace because that's all I could find. Must be an odd size tire or something. I now have 3 tires..all different.

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

That is an oddball size. The 185s are only about 1/2" difference in width and diameter I think. Personally I would use the 175-80-13s, as they can be had everywhere I think. I just checked Northern Tool, looks like they have a large selection in store. Tractor Supply might be another option.

3. Smazze

Smazze New Member

I don't disagree. Either is possible to find on etrailer etc., but it's just when out and about it's not so easy. The 175's that I've found at stores in stock are usually load C for some reason. Not the end of the world, but I'd rather have what's called for if I can.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I carry two spares. One on the back of the camper and one "tire only" in the TV.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Have carried two spares for years.. mind you my trailer has 4 tires to start with..

Not that rare, but not as common as the smaller 175 tires... NO you cannot / should not use the 175's as replacements, they are under sized and will have a lower load rating..

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Only once once , just when on a Jeep trip (no trailer) in the back country (Arizona Strip).

Bit of a nuisance- mounted it on a hitch mount tilt down bike rack stem. Never needed it, nowadays I carry a plug kit AND two cans of Fix a Flat.

7. Lowcountry

Lowcountry New Member

We carry 2 pares. One one the camper and one in the truck bed.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I have carried 2 spares for years. I just happened to come across one in a wrecking yard when I was there getting some car parts. It was on the scrap tire pile. Same size, exact same rim, good tread, and reasonable date code. I asked the guy how much, and he asked me what I was going to do with it. I said I'll just use it as a spare for my Pup. He told me to just take it, he didn't want anything for it in that case. So I have the orig spare hanging on the back, and the wrecking yard spare goes just inside the door of the pup when its closed down. I washed it all up with soap and the garden hose so its good and clean, and it sits in there for every trip. When it comes out at a campsite, I just put it under the rear bunk end to keep it clean for the return trip. I keep a big garbage bag handy for if I have to use that spare and need to put my regular tire in the bag and into the Pup.

9. Anthony Hitchings

think about it - you are towing a trailer - it can't go anywhere by itself. IF anything needs two spare tires - its the tow vehicle. Which I did just once,and likely will never do again.

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I think the thought is that car tires are available just about everywhere, but trailer tires might be harder to find.

But... I have one spare for the trailer, and actually none for the TV (it didn't come with one lol)

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That is it exactly.. My pup tires were 185/70.13 load range D .. difficult to find everywhere, could easily find the 175/70/13 load range C tires but not the proper tires.. Now with the TT, the size is pretty common 205/70/14 load range C (which is what was stock and what I have on it now, but prefer using the load range D tires (both spares are this)..

12. Anthony Hitchings

well, it depends - if you are retired you can wait for a trailer tire to be shipped, or drive to the nearest place that stocks one :)