Anyone take a toaster oven along?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by shirlchap, Nov 20, 2012.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have one of these, and have used it for front country camping for years, on our white gas Coleman; we've never bothered to take it into the back country. We got the Coleman oven to do larger quantities of tortillas and corn bread when we did a group trip. Since we already own it, we have thought it might be useful on some trips, esp. one where DH is not along - he is the one who has fine control of baking in the Outback oven.

I used a toaster oven for years before I moved to NM, when I was single it was handy to be able to heat just that up instead of the large oven my stove had. We bought one last year, after 20+ years, to use it for some things at home, being able to take it on the Canyon trip last year was a bonus, but also provedd to us we were not likely to haul it along very often.

2. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

I bought a small one at ACO for under 20$, it is great for making toast, tortilla pizza, cookies, heating leftovers, etc... I really like it because it is small enough and it does multiple things well. I never had one for home use but really like it so I keep it in the kitchen and we just throw it in the camp box along with the electric skillet when we go on a trip.

3. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

We use a toaster oven both at home and whenever we camp with power. With the Niagara, it is no issue to carry cooking impliments for both electric and nonelectric sites. We also carry an electric skillet, a Coleman oven for the stovetop, a small charcoal grill, a dutch oven, and a grate for the campfire. We like to have several options available for meal prep. The current toaster oven was $ .25 at a garage sale. Works great.

4. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

I use one. I got the smallest, cheapest one I could find so it would be light weight and easy to store away.
    [​IMG]

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

I carry a toaster oven, regular toaster,coffie maker( small one),two gas grilles, and my three burner stove which came with the camper. And grate for the fire pit. Got it covered i think.

6. shirlchap

shirlchap New Member

Great pic Buttermilk. Ours is a bit larger but it is what we already had. I never use it in the house but I sure am glad I thought to bring it along. It worked out great for us. It also helped heat the camper which was needed.

7. shirlchap

shirlchap New Member

Tumbleweed, what about a microwave...gotta have one of those.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

No microwave. I don't even use the one i have at home. Give me a stove or a grill and i'm happy.

9. shirlchap

shirlchap New Member

Tumbleweed, I found that the microwave is a very quick way of heating water. I wasn't smart enough to bring paper plates and such. We used the real ones...I was forever needing the hot water...but not complaining, enjoyed every bit of it.

10. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

We seldom have power so the Dutch oven is it. The folding Coleman oven box is tempting but I haven't seen one around anyplace I have shopped in the past year. I am still perfecting (keeping the flames contained ) my skills with the DO. I really like the challenge. [;)]

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We have a small one we picked up for about $20. We use it on those rare times we are at a place with electrical hookups. It's handy, but hardly a necessity.

Don't have a microwave, wouldn't use it if we did, and in fact, would have ripped it out at the onset.

We do carry a small Bodum electric kettle for those few times we have hookups. Otherwise, heat water on the stove....

12. CampChaos

CampChaos Member

Just bought a brand new one for under $10 bucks (I love the goodwill). So I have been looking for recipes. I plan to take it with me and see how it goes. :) I will most likely try a few recipes before my first camp outing of the season.

13. Deannetor

Deannetor New Member

We have one that we use for biquits & gravy & cookies? The folding Coleman oven likes to burn things.

14. CherylL5156

CherylL5156 Vassar, MI USA

Hey Buttermilk,
    I'm curious about your outside stove set-up...Is it a rather unique Mod ( [MOD]), or something that's available to the common people?
    Thanks,
    Cheryl

15. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Buttermilk--
    Your kitchen set up looks almost exactly like ours. I love being able to hang the stove on the outside of the camper. Come to think of it, we have never used it inside at all. Looks like you were all set for breakfast with the sausage cooking and the biscuits in the toaster oven!! Makes me so wish it wasn't Winter in Michigan!!

16. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

It's made that way. The stove can be used inside or hung on a track and used outside. A factory feature for the Flagstaff 176LTD. I found an electric hotplate at a yard sale and now I use it most of the time because it's a lot easier for me to cook on than the gas. I tend to burn everything up when using gas.

17. maromeo

maromeo Member

I had the first generation coleman propane toaster oven.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Base%20Camp%20Gear/Campsite%20Gear/Propane%20Appliances/Coleman%20Portable%20Oven/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jerry%20Goller/

It worked well but the bracket that held the door closed was very flimsly. The bracket fell off just after one season. When it held closed it did a fine job. We cooked our whole Thanksgiving meal with no hookups and used the toaster oven for our bread, stuffing and green bean casserole. If I would do it over I would have purchased the camp chef oven. Much better built and sturdy.

http://www.basspro.com/Camp-Chef&-x00ae%3b-Propane-Camp-Oven-and-Stove/product/102150/?hvarAID=shopping_shoppingdotcom

It is great to have one along. Enjoy.

18. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

That might be great addition for those long trips so the kids can bake cookies and stuff! What size baking pans/cookie sheets fit inside?

(sent from my phone)

19. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We carried a toaster oven for years. Replaced it this summer with a Camp Chef oven. No more having to run the gen to have hot chocolate chip cookies before bed it also replaced the outside stove so one item for two. they are pricey but well built.

20. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Just the wife and I so we use our toaster oven at home quite a bit. Thinking of buying a new one on sale this weekend and putting the old one in the PU