Anyone tow w small vehicle?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by BKJ, May 24, 2016.

1. piscoot

piscoot Member

We tow with out 2015 Jetta 1.8. Turbo sport she has a 1500 towing capacity, she tows very nicely better then our 12 Jetta 2.5 5 cyl.

Sent from Piscoot's iPad

Attached Files:

2. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

[​IMG]

This is overloaded. Here in CA the statutory weight limitation is based upon number of axles and legnth of a regulated vehicle. The other possible violations are the weight limitations of the tires, which can not be exceeded at all. What is at issue, such as the example above, is whether or not the vehicle is safely loaded which is subjective and opined by the officer addressing it. A manufacturer GVWR is not a legal threshold to substantiate a violation or hang a hat on as far as who says it is safe or not. As far as loading your combination of vehicles near the superficial GVWR, just remember it isn't made to do it every day like a big rig is. I load mine near or at its limits each time I lash up the pup, which amounts to about 4-6 times a year. I have installed equipment to do it and have been doing so for the last five years without a single event or even a flat tire. In the interest of common sense, I have never seen a GVWR - 50 lbs. the margin for error and overage has been built into the manufacture superficial GVWR.

Happy Campin'

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Like what? Some people agonize over numbers that are often arbitrary.

4. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

Heading to Wyoming from Flat Florida. I have a 4 cylinder Nissan, with 5 speed stick shift. Pulling Aliner about 1K. I am assuming I can cruise in 5th gear with the stick, unlike an automatic transmission, am i right? or should I keep it in 4th even on flat terrain? I understand lugging the engine and downshifting as needed, esp. on hills. Just wondering about normal flat terrain cruising. I'll take any advice...
    [ALPU] [PUT]

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

That's what I do. Works in North GA and NC I would think at higher elevations you will have to adjust your driving/shifting a bit.

6. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Don't know about your Nissan, but my old Ranger had 4 cylinder & 5 spd stick. Fifth gear was overdrive. Owner's manual stated specifically not to tow in overdrive & that applied to both auto & manual transmissions. It was a challenge to remember not to shift into 5th. Not sure how things would have gone trying 5th on long, flat stretches, because I never towed in those conditions.

7. Strikeouthhh

Strikeouthhh Member

I always love the TV capacity threads! No problem with my manual TDi pulling 970# dry, and still 40mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

I have the 2.5 Sedan. According to my manual the TDI (automatic and manual) is only rated to 1k lbs. Total nonsense.

9. Snowfam

Snowfam New Member

i had wanted to buy a tdi Golf, but sales were frozen.So i had to go with the 1.8, Zero towing, but my wife has a CX7 so we have some there. TDi can tow a house lol

10. piscoot

piscoot Member

The DSG transmission in the diesel or gas VW does not recommend towing.

11. Snowfam

Snowfam New Member

5 speed here, still cant tow via US standards. Sorta a bummer but o well lol

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

I have a manual as well. Not sure why VW doesn't allow towing with the DSG in the US.

13. Strikeouthhh

Strikeouthhh Member

Yet year after year the Jetta is rated as the top TV in the EU. Granted, they tow a LOT lighter loads over there.

14. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

Thanks minimalist for your two replies. I appreciate the input. I will keep it in 4th for the trip and avoid 5th gear. I'll see if the manual has any details and call the dealer for his opinion. Thanks again.
    [ALPU] [PUT] [{:)]

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

The Jetta TDI with DSG is rated at 1500kg/3300lbs in Germany.

16. piscoot

piscoot Member

I know those ratings driving me crazy! I want the DSG coupled with a TDI in the US

Sent from Piscoot's iPad

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

The only reason I can see for the DSG not being rated for towing in the US is quality issues if they are manufactured in a different plant than the European ones. I know for fact that ZF has quality issues in their US plants. Not sure if they make the DSG though. I love my manual. As long as I can get a decent manual I will drive one.

18. piscoot

piscoot Member

I'm lazy and live where the streets are getting busy with traffic. The DSG Volkswagen claims do to the clutch size which is tiny could easily over heat and fail. No big deal my Jetta sport does fine with the automatic.

Sent from Piscoot's iPad using Tapatalk

19. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

A little trailer tale follows. A dear friend of ours has a camper which he tows behind his F150 truck that's powered with some small, v-8 engine ford offered with it. His camper is what I'd describe as a mid sized, egg shell looking thing I'd guess weights around 4000lbs. His trucks power, weight and size I'd say is appropriate for this camper but what shocked us is when he claimed it got 30mpg towing it. We'll gee whiz, he may live the green life style, but physics and mechanics didn't magically change to grossly increase it's fuel mileage. Auto manufactures do need to retail there products or they'll go out of business. Sometimes the marketing department helps to much, and they'll make fantastic claims that there products can do this or that to the extreme. Towing capability may go the same route. So we need to remember that physics did not change at the manufacturers location but then, neither does marketing. In the case of our camper towing buddy, just because he lives the green lifestyle, the mechanics of the F150 truck didn't change to increase his mileage. Seems VW got in the shorts for overstated there emissions and mileages. Personally, I'd take there towing capabilities with a good douse of salt.

Arly stirs up the VW Pot

20. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

You misunderstand the VW fiasco which will cost them millions. They didn't overstate anything. The VW diesel does have great power and fuel economy but they will lose some of each when brought into compliance with EPA regulations. They tweaked the computer so the diesel could pass low speed emissions testing but would then belch pollutants at highway speeds.