Anyone tow with Infiniti QX4 or Pathfinder with 3.3V6?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by smoreking, Aug 14, 2012.

1. smoreking

smoreking Member

I have the fever for an older SUV for family car and TV. I can buy Infiniti QX4 from a friend whom I've bought four other cars from with good honest dealings. My only concern is if it will tow my pup well enough. Tow rating is 5000 and loaded pup is about 2000. Well within limits but I'm used to having a V8 and reviews on this rig have many people saying they are sluggish. Anyone know about this first hand?

2. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

We use to pull our old pup with a 2000 Pathfinder. Not sure what the weight was but probably close to 3500 lbs. Went 3600 KM in 9 days on one trip and it pulled fine. They are not powerhouses and will shift down on hills. They are a little thirsty at the pumps as well.

Rob

3. smoreking

smoreking Member

Thanks Rob. I only get 14 mpg while towing now so I guess there would be no difference there. Something else I was wondering about is how much tongue weight I could support and still be close to level? Never worried about it with the truck. I've seen mid-sized SUV tow trailmanors and hybrids so I think it would be OK but I don't want to start buying WDH and stuff just to make it work.

4. waldo_2001

waldo_2001 Member

I have a 97 LE with the 3.3 v6 and it pulled my old put at 1800 pounds fine. I then got a Jayco hard side camper at 2800 pounds and it would not tow it well at all. I now have a highwall fleetwood 2700 pounds and do have to run a WD unit.

Thanks
    James

5. smoreking

smoreking Member

Thanks James. Have you any idea how many mpg you get towing that highwall?

6. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

We have the 2002 Pathfinder with the 3.5 L V6. Our pup is 2500 pounds, as weighed by the dealer, and according to the owner's manual for the Pathfinder, our tow capacity is also 5000. I don't think I would want to go much heavier than our current pup, but it towed fine this past weekend, up some pretty good hills. We dropped to about 50 MPH on a few of the hills, but the engine temperature guage never strayed from its normal operating temp, and never felt as though the trailer was too much for the car.

I did add an aftermarket tranny cooler to the Pathfinder before this trip, but part of that is our Southern Arizona heat. When you're towing in triple-digit summer temperatures (and likely, the heat coming up off the asphalt is pushing 130 F or more), you can't have too much cooling. I figured $50 for the tranny cooler was cheap preventative maintenance.

7. smoreking

smoreking Member

Yeah, I don't think the QX I'm looking at has a cooler because it doesn't even have a hitch yet. Only has a 4-pin connector.

8. waldo_2001

waldo_2001 Member

Around 9 mpg towing in mild hills. If you have not bought the suv yet and look to be camping over the next few years I would look to a 99 or newer that has the 3.5 v6. My 97 has really help me back for wanting to tow any further than 45 miles or so fo fear of killing it. I have installed a large oil cooler and have never had any issues but it stays around 3 to 4 thousand rpm to maintain 60 miles an hour towing.

I have towed in NC and now in ND which is much flatter and easier but would never take it into the mountains with anything over 2000 pounds behind it.

James

9. smoreking

smoreking Member

WOW! 9 mpg! I don't know if I should be wanting an SUV. I just really think they are cool and comfortable. From my research, I thought I would ust get the same terrible gas mileage that I currently get with more comfort.

10. bodsworth

bodsworth Member

I have a 2012 V6 pathfinder and I get 14.5 mpg when towing, and I avg 19.5 when not towing.

It is rated for 6000 lbs, but mine does not have a tow package and struggles some on hills pulling my #3500 pup.

11. Faced

Faced New Member

Used to work at a Nissan/Infiniti dealer here in Wininpeg.
    I can tell you first hand that the Qx4 will pull a pup no problems.
    And as far as i remember, a tranny cooler will not be found on a stock unit.
    The pathfinder is obviously just a un-glorified Qx4 with less trim options.
    The drive train is essentially the same for both if they are same year models.
    5000LBS/6000LBS depending on the year.And i would NOT recommend using the 4wd system while towing,
    the rear ends are pretty weak.

12. smoreking

smoreking Member

Thanks again for replies. If I can pick it up for the right price I think I will give it a try. It is a great looking ride, but it needs to tow my pup too.

13. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

We used to tow our Yuma (2,200lbs loaded) with our '97 Pathfinder which did fine on flat surfaces but once you got on hills and grades above 3-4% it really struggled. We now have a 2007 Pathfinder and we cannot feel the camper behind us. Last trip to the coast we averaged 18.5mpg fully loaded 2 adults 3 kids. Newer Pathfinders have transmission coolers. However! There is a known defect in the radiator. So if you buy a model older than 2007 have a Nissan tech or transmission tech re-route your cooler lines so they DO NOT run through the radiator - just the cooler.