Anyone tried the "As seen on TV" Expanding Hose?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Buttermilk, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

Looks like they would be perfect for a camper if they would hold up, but I doubt you could get more than a few uses out of one before it sprung a leak. Anyone tried one yet?

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

I just saw this and was wondering myself. If it looks to good to be true, it must be. At $20 for 25 feet I just may try it. Probably won't wind back up with a little mud, sand and wet leaves...

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

What are you going to use it for? I suspect that it's not suitable for drinking water -- that's what the white hoses are for.

4. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

I don't drink campground water. I generally use a hose when cleaning up after cleaning fish and for washing dishes and stuff like that..

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I seem to remembers some had tried them, both regular and drinking versions. The majority didn't seem too impressed, though some liked them.

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We don't drink campground water either. Just for washing dishes and such.

7. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Only time I will drink from a hose is.. If it's attached to a keg of beer [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

8. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I'm not sure I understand the plan. If you're going to wash the dishes in the water you won't drink, what have you gained? If it's not clean enough to drink, I wouldn't use it for dishes either.

I've wondered about those hoses, and I kind of doubt the internals would be good for drying the hose. I'm betting they'll grow more of that black mold than a standard garden hose would. Probably wouldn't dry well on the inside.

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Those hoses are good for pumping water out of your boat, after you build a boat from some old screen doors and a few cans of that Flex seal stuff. That is why the expanding hose commercial usually follows the Flex seal commercial. Those leaky hoses could cost you thousands in repairs, which could empty your AlumaWallet, not unlike all of that "as seen on TV" stuff..........so says Phil Swift.

Where is Ron Popeil when you need him? You could actually cut french fries with the Kitchen Magician. (Actually they were Julienne fries by the thousands).

10. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

If you boil your dishwater and add soap, you can use camp water even if it isn't fit to drink. But you also have to boil enough for rinsing....been there done that.

11. Unstable_Tripod

I don't see the problem with campground water. I've drunk the local water everywhere I've camped (all of U.S. except the SE) for over 50 years and only got sick once (Black Hills in 1959 when I was a kid). All states have agencies which require periodic tests of public water systems and they close them down if they don't pass.

12. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We don't drink campground water because it is just a personal preferance. Some do, some don't. Everyone being different makes the world go round :)

13. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

We aren't so much worried about the safety as it is more the funny hose taste of water that comes out of a hose. [:(O]

14. Unstable_Tripod

That's what the white, potable water hoses are for. They don't contain the chemicals that make water taste funny like a regular garden hose does.

15. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

My wife is very sensitive to the taste of hose water period. even white...will not drink.
    I could care less.
    How ever what ever you do... never and I mean never drink out of a Plumber's hose. I know I'm a Plumber and I've used that hose for UNGODLY things [:(O] [:(O] [:(O] [:(O] [:(O]

16. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I gotta say it...there is nothing better on a hot day than a long cool drink from a garden hose...not even a beer ! While the makeup of the "white" hoses may indeed be different I'm pretty sure originally it was just to make sure you had a different color hose for your inlet and waste water...

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

17. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I am with h\Hacksaw, nothing better than PVC flavored water on a 98* August day after cutting grass. Could we grind those hoses up and make beer? Would they ferment? [:D]

18. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Hey, there are places where the dish water comes from out of the mountain stream. Come to think about it, many a pot of coffee came from that stream. It's gin clear water, plus being boiled (even just being brought to a full boil), no bacteria will survive it.

But a thought I always have about those T.V. offers, especially when they say it carries a lifetime guarantee and if ANYTHING ever happens to it they will replace it free of charge - Yeah, right - Like they will still be in business a couple of months after the ad stops appearing on T.V.!

19. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Yeah and they always give you a 2nd one for free...just pay separate shipping and handling. Which is usually more than the product is worth.

20. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Can't comment on the stupid hoses [2C], but if you use anti-bacterial dish washing soap and dry the dishes...what could be the harm in using CG water?