Anyone tried towing with a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee ?

br00n0

Sep 26, 2012
Hi all,

We are considering purchasing a Jeep Cherokee within the next 12 months.

With a 4500lbs towing capacity with a Pentastar V6, it should easily tow our 10' popup (1,500lbs) and will give us upgrade room for either a bigger popup, hybrid or TT.

Has anyone towed with such a Jeep? Or heard about it?

Thanks!

B.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
I never owned or towed with one however with a V6 and 4500# towing capacity it does not provide the breathing room you think it does for upgrading to a HTT or TT.

Its only capable of towing the smallest of HTT's or TT's .

mjsny

Aug 14, 2013
I have 2013 Dodge Durango with the Pentastar V6 and it is rated for 6200 lbs. It tows my 3500 GWVR Utah very comfortably with 2 adults and 3 children, a dog and all of our cargo ( 2 propane tanks, large battery etc). However, I wouldn't say that it struggles at all but the engine does rev a bit high on the medium to steep inclines.

Looking back...I should have forked over the extra cash for the Hemi but the kids are young that Utah fits us just fine for the foreseeable future. If I was ever to upgrade I sure do like those Shamrock/Roo 21 & 23 footers but I wouldn't do it with the Pentastar V6.

In fact, I don't think I would go any heavier than the Utah with this engine, but that's just me. You will be fine with your 10" 1500 lb PUP and little larger but if you are looking for a lot of breathing room, than you may want to look at other vehicles.

sgip2000

Jun 16, 2010
Hillsboro, OR
skidz said:
I have 2013 Dodge Durango with the Pentastar V6 and it is rated for 6200 lbs. It tows my 3500 GWVR Utah very comfortably with 2 adults and 3 children, a dog and all of our cargo ( 2 propane tanks, large battery etc). However, I wouldn't say that it struggles at all but the engine does rev a bit high on the medium to steep inclines.

Looking back...I should have forked over the extra cash for the Hemi but the kids are young that Utah fits us just fine for the foreseeable future. If I was ever to upgrade I sure do like those Shamrock/Roo 21 & 23 footers but I wouldn't do it with the Pentastar V6.

In fact, I don't think I would go any heavier than the Utah with this engine, but that's just me. You will be fine with your 10" PUP but if you are looking for breathing room, than you may want to look at other vehicles.

I agree. It's not the engine that is the issue. It's curb weight, wheel base, etc...

Detroit_Iron

Jan 31, 2013
Pulling a pop up would most likely be fine but I'm not sure if I would attempt a hybrid or TT with that jeep. There's more to towing than just the stated towing capacity, I'm willing to bet there's something in the owners manual about a limit on the frontal area of a trailer also.

br00n0

Sep 26, 2012
Hi folks,

I understand your comments about the limits. However if we ever find a 3,500-3,600lbs hybrid one day, could the Cherokee handle it well?

Of course, we would try to stay clear of the 4,500lbs limit knowing we are 2 adults (sometimes +2 kids) with luggage and doggie...
We would definitely avoid 3,750+ trailers...

What do you think?

Is the 4,500lbs tow limit only for marketing ? Can this Jeep handle the job properly?

Thanks for your replies!

B.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
I wouldn't even consider a 3500 TT or HTT. You have to look at the frontal area of the trailer, wheelbase, all kinds of things to consider. You will always end up carrying more weight than you thought you would. Not trying to scare you but have you watched this video?
Windy

Also do not listen to the Jeep Salesman or the RV salesman. Most of the time the Jeep salesman will tell you that you can tow a 53' flatbed with 5 steel coils on it, and the RV guy will tell you you can pull his 40' 5th wheel with a Schwinn bicycle

mjsny

Aug 14, 2013
I forgot to mention that I also have the factory tow package on the Durango that includes engine cooling, 180 amp alternator, rear suspension upgrade, class iv hitch etc. and I don't think I would go much higher than the 3500 lb Utah even though it is rated to 6200.. but I may be overly cautious with this stuff.

skidz said:

In fact, I don't think I would go any heavier than the Utah with this engine, but that's just me. You will be fine with your 10" 1500 lb PUP and little larger but if you are looking for a lot of breathing room, than you may want to look at other vehicles.

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I tow my utah with a 4.7 v8. Grand cherokee. It will be fine as long as you stick with popups. I would never attempt to tow a htt. Especially here in Pa mountains

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
skidz said:
but I may be overly cautious with this stuff.

Overly cautious is a good thing. I tow a 6000# GVWR HTT with a 3/4 ton truck rated at 9400 towing. You can get 1/2 ton trucks rated at the same towing but they do not have a 3275 payload, and a 9500 GVWR. They also do not have a bigger frame, larger brakes, heavier suspension etc. Its way more truck than I need, but it tows very nice. Just do not add up the gas receipts.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Old_Geezer said:
Also do not listen to the Jeep Salesman or the RV salesman. Most of the time the Jeep salesman will tell you that you can tow a 53' flatbed with 5 steel coils on it, and the RV guy will tell you you can pull his 40' 5th wheel with a Schwinn bicycle

I like that, you're absolutely right.

Jun 19, 2014
I have a 2008 liberty that is equipped with the 3.7L V6 and has a 5,000lb capacity. Let's just say, I am towing at close to 90% capacity. The Jeep has enough power, the tranny is over-worked on steep climbs, but where you need to focus on is the safety. The jeeps have a shorter wheelbase than most TV's, therefore the trailer is going to be harder to control. I have the electronic brake controller, E.Q. hitch and sway controller. I would not even THINK about hooking up a trailer at even 50% of the capacity without that equipment. Can it do it? Yes... Is it safe? That's for you to decide...

I'm a newbie so go easy on me [:D]

photo_zps363ac47d.jpg

Detroit_Iron

Jan 31, 2013
This is the towing page out of a 2014 Cherokee Owners manual, I have a friend that works at a dodge dealership and they sent it over for me

1b34be48531f80f858b7eb0445d9db75.jpg

CamperMike

Super Active Member
Sep 27, 2012
That frontal area spec is even lower than what they specify for the minivans(40 sq ft), which actually have a lower tow rating. Based on that frontal area spec, you don't want to tow a HTT with it!

It would be fine for any popup however.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
In addition to the frontal area spec, with a 450lb limit for tongue weight you may as well end the discussion. You are not going to find very many TT's or HTT's with less than 450 lb tongue weight. There are very few models of either out there that will be below 450 once you load cargo, 2 propane tanks, and a battery.

inthedirt

Super Active Member
Aug 28, 2012
SW Montana
Unless you're considering the AWD model, don't forget that the new Cherokee is now FWD. I wouldn't put HTT or TT on anything but a rear-driven axle.

BigBaron

Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...
Jun 21, 2012
Uh... I see a few extra driveshafts, then.
I just re-read the post. My bad.

"Unless you're considering the AWD model..."

niagarafam

Super Active Member
Jan 25, 2014
Completely agree w/Geezer and others. Go for the Hemi and a tow package. We don't take our TV beyond 60% of its stated capacities, and we error on the extreme side with safety (hitching, brakes, and tires). The vehicle will serve you much better and longer, and you will enjoy the journey/ride much more.
M&K

br00n0

Sep 26, 2012
Hi all,

As I can see, better safe than sorry. Better stay clear from that limit as much as possible.

Well thanks for sharing your wisdom!