Anyone tried towing with a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee ?

Azzy

Jul 8, 2014
Just wanted to chime in... I know a bit about jeeps (its my business, I design accessories) and the new 2014 Cherokees have some glaring issues, especially if you want to tow and take offroad.

The 9 speed transmission in these is really jumpy, at least as they are still trying to work out the bugs. The AWD system kicks in after the front tires are usually dug into the mud.

Honsetly, find a used WJ (Grand Cherokee, 1999+) and go from there if you want a Jeep. Commanders have too small of an engine for their enormous curb weight, and Ive never towed anything with a new Wrangler 4 door (JKU).

Storm Trooper

Home is where you park it!
Feb 14, 2008
Where my camper is parked now.
That frontal area spec is is not because of power.
All the power doesn't help stability in the Jeep.
The minivan has higher spec for frontal area because it's lower, wider and a longer wheelbase than the Jeep.
An inherently much more stable TV even though it's front wheel drive.

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Azzy said:
Just wanted to chime in... I know a bit about jeeps (its my business, I design accessories) and the new 2014 Cherokees have some glaring issues, especially if you want to tow and take offroad.

The 9 speed transmission in these is really jumpy, at least as they are still trying to work out the bugs. The AWD system kicks in after the front tires are usually dug into the mud.

Honsetly, find a used WJ (Grand Cherokee, 1999+) and go from there if you want a Jeep. Commanders have too small of an engine for their enormous curb weight, and Ive never towed anything with a new Wrangler 4 door (JKU).
. I too own a 04 wj grand cherokee. Tow my utah pup with it no problem. Only wish they could design a better suspension lift for it. Im running a 2 in bb. But makes it bouncy

Azzy

Jul 8, 2014
vagov said:
. I too own a 04 wj grand cherokee. Tow my utah pup with it no problem. Only wish they could design a better suspension lift for it. Im running a 2 in bb. But makes it bouncy

There is a really good 6" lift out there for these, but speaking with the manufacturer a few weeks ago, they said expect to go $1000 per inch above a spacer lift. The market is just not there to get the benefits of mass production, and the new suspensions are not kind to lifting like the old solid axle setups are.

West Coast Canuck

Jumped to the dark side ......
Mar 3, 2005
The problem is that the closer you get to the towing capacity the more you will hate the hills, I have a 5500 lb TT and I pull with a Dodge Ram 1/2 ton with a tow rating of 8600 lbs. while I can pull off the line with ease and keep up with traffic with no problem. Definitely feel that it is there with I am climbing hills, I have the brake controller installed and a weight distribution hitch