Anyone turn a fish cleaning table into a camp kitchen?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by CamperChrissy, Jan 31, 2017.

1. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone has used a fish cleaning table (folding table with a built in sink & faucet) into a camp kitchen? I recently got one on clearance at Menards, since we realized we don't like using the inside sink. I have a 10 gallon flat blue rectangle gray water tank to keep underneath. Planning to camp at places with a water hook-up.

I was hoping to add some sort of organized storage underneath for all the plates, utensils, grilling utensils, etc. I hate the current system we have, which is just throwing everything in a big bin. Wondering if I can attach drawers underneath the table? Or some sort of hanging thing?

Oh also, don't need to worry about stove - hubby just got a fancy folding table that holds his Jumbo Joe charcoal grill, which is our preferred cooking method.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I considered it, since we do prefer to cook outside, but the ones I found weren't easy to fit into the packing space we had at the time. I ended up going with roll-up aluminum tables; one adjusts to counter-height. We don't usually have water hook-ups, so use jugs outside, and dishpans.
    I've seen ideas for using tool boxes on wheels and the like for utensils, dishes, etc. We used flat plastic boxes - originally under bed size, then Really Useful ones. They stacked well in the TV, and were easy to transport to the cooking area at meal times. While we are usually able to leave the camp stove and water jug at the cooking area, we do not leave other supplies there. [We camp in areas with bears, ravens, ground squirrels, and other animals that we don't want to attract to the campsite.]

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I have seen folks take a suit case and make wooden shelves to put inside for a campsite kitchen organizer

5. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Hi, CamperChrissy! Thank you for the good suggestion! We'll go on line to order one for our next camping trip.

6. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I haven't considered it, but I own a portable fish cleaning table and that's a damn fine idea! Come to think of it that thing has been sitting around in storage a good while. I've gotten more use out of the stainless steel bowl it came with than the table itself [LOL]

TrishChar17 likes this.
  7. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

We purchased that one last season, It is a good height for food prep and cooking, but does lack storage ideas, we haven't figured anything specific out, other we do stack our totes underneath. Having the bins be able to fit in the PUP is important.

I have thought of drilling a few holes in each leg and adding a bungee style shelf. and also adding a few hooks off of one side of the top.

8. TheEscoMos

TheEscoMos New Member

We have a fish table as part of our outdoor kitchen set up. We have only gone camping once since buying it but it was very nice to have. Made washing dishes SOOOO much nicer. Our indoor sink is very splashy and we don't really like using it. Plus we do all our cooking outside. We use a tall narrow plastic drawer unit as our chuck box. Something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Drawer-Tower-White-Case-of-2/44785828
    I already had it sitting unused in the garage so it was a good solution for us. It does not fit in our pup but fits nicely in the back of our TV. I don't put it under the table but instead right next to the stove hanging on the side of the camper. Makes a nice place to set things as you come and go out of the camper. Most of these drawer units can be taken apart so you could probably take out a drawer to make it fit under the table.

9. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

I use one for my camp kitchen. It's been great. I hook it up to my outdoor shower. I made a rack on the rear bumper of the trailer for transport.

Attached Files:

10. CamperChrissy

Thanks for all the great ideas! I have some of those Sterilite drawer units sitting around the basement, I think I'll start with those. Then I could just leave it packed in the camper and move it under the table when we set up camp. The hanging organizer is nice too, kids & husband would be able to find stuff without asking me [:D].

I'm thinking I'll also add a towel bar for the dish towel. It seems to be left laying around and then it's on the ground...

Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming!

11. Orchid

I'm really into this sink-in-the-front idea. Second time I have seen it recently where someone ran from their outdoor shower. I may have to try to copy this in the near future. A fish cleaning station would be perfect for it. Now to find one on the cheap ...

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We have 2 dishpans, $1 each, set a table, or fit in our sink. Fold up SS drain rack was $3....DW is a bargain hunter.

13. Orchid

My life is one giant bargain hunt. [LOL] I don't pay full price for anything, and much of what we own has come from thrift shops.

I think I'm going to do an outdoor sink run off our outdoor shower. I'm going to find or make a cheap folding table, then use a stainless steel mixing bowl for the sink. Will cut a drain in the bottom, and use a cheap faucet set if I can find one at thrift (usually can) or Walmart. Will cut a hole in the table to drop the sink/bowl in and and another hole for the faucets.

14. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

15. Orchid

16. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

The shipping cost is terrible and YES, I need to look for promotion codes too.

17. CamperChrissy

I got mine at Menard's for about $45, so if you have a Menard's close to you that would be close in price and no shipping.

Running from the outdoor shower is a great idea! I'll actually be running right from the campground hookup, since we won't be using any water inside our PUP (we have no bathroom, just a little kitchen sink in there which we won't use).

Another idea I might try - I found online somewhere where someone got a foot pump and hooked it up so that they could pull water from a fresh water tank. I have a 5-gallon fresh water tank that come with the camper, so I might give that a try. After looking at potential campgrounds for summer, I found that pretty much all the state parks and US COE ones in Illinois are electric-only. We do want to hit some of these, so I'll put the foot pump on my to-do list... : )

18. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

This is how I hook it up to my shower. I have a quick connect so I can interchange with different hoses an nozzles. It runs off the pump of the trailer as I have never been to a place with water hookups.

Attached Files:

19. Va_Camper

Va_Camper Member

I want to thank everyone for this post. I hadn't seen anything like this before. Since y'all brought it to my attention. I just order the Tricam MT-2 fish cleaning station from Amazon. We camp with water/electric sites, but we rarely hook the water up to the camper. We only use it for hand washing and such. So we typically just walk over to the connection and get it from there. This is perfect for what we use. I may look into removing the inside sink now. I will have to think about that.

https://www.amazon.com/Tricam-MT-2-Quick-Connect-Stainless-150-Pound/dp/B00GI0RF0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487768042&sr=8-1&keywords=tricam+mt-2

20. SHFL

SHFL Active Member