Anyone use a Camp Chef stove?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by TSQ, Sep 6, 2021.

1. TSQ

TSQ Active Member

Looking for a new (outside) stove and leaning towards a Camp Chef Everest 2x

Just wondering if anyone knows what pressure the Camp Chef mountain series stoves run at - I've emailed Camp Chef but they are not being particularly forthcoming.

There is currently a 30psi 1"-20 hookup on the side of my trailer that I would like to use. I can change out the 30psi regulator for a different one as the stove will be the only thing that runs off that side.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

except the fine print Excludes Mountain Series cooking systems the Everest is part of the mountain series as in Mt. Everest.

The OP could attach to the PU's threaded 1x20 30 psi, leaving the regulator on the stove and work fine. This requires a hose with male/female 1x20.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Connect it directly to the trailer's 30 psi port via a hose of desired length (male and female 1x20 on either end).
    These stoves like Coleman propane stoves are regulated (little blob that connects to small bottle) to ~15 psi, your 30 psi feed will be adequate.
    They make an add a tee if you want to operate additional regulated appliances

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    TSQ likes this.
  5. TSQ

TSQ Active Member

Thanks for the responses,

Yes, it would be great if it is ~15 psi and would run off the existing 30 psi hookup.

They seem impossible to find in stock right now but hopefully availability will improve by next spring.

6. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had HP at the trailer and ran my camp chef through a "steak saver" connector then the regulator/lp connector from that.

Attached Files:

TSQ likes this.
  7. TSQ

TSQ Active Member

After a few back and forth emails Camp Chef did let me know that their mountain series stoves run at 10 psi.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Everest runs high pressure. If you are looking for a low pressure option, all the big 2-3 burner stoves run on low - think Explorer, Tundra and Denali series. You can also look at the Coleman Road Trip, but some of the more recent ones have moved to high pressure now. Weber Q series BBQ can be modded, along with the camping sized Blackstone griddles - 17" and 22" models.

I have an older Camp Chef weekender stove that also runs off low pressure. I built a splitter so I can run 2 things at once - usually a stove and the Weber since I haven't bought the adapter for my Blackstone yet. The weekender is a great compromise, but it doesn't like wind so keep that in mind. They show up on FB marketplace from time to time as well.

Lately I have been using my 3 burner Coleman 5428 guide series stove. This is an old suitcase style stove they sold for a couple years that runs off high pressure propane instead. I carry a small 5lb bulk tank and run everything off it. I have been really happy with it, as now I can run high pressure stuff in addition to low pressure off the pup.

9. TSQ

TSQ Active Member

The outside hookup on my trailer is 30 psi, so I should be fine with the Everest 2x.

I'm surprised more trailers don't have higher pressure hookups on the outside. I guess they want to avoid the chance of liquid in the lines, but 30 psi gets you down to almost -15 C (~0 F) before you have to worry about that.

My old stove (Wait Primus S-160) runs directly off tank pressure (100~150 psi) but it needs a bunch of work so looking for a replacement, and being able to run off the outside trailer hookup would be useful.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I don't operate my furnace unless propane container pressure is less than 100psi.

NFPA 1192 standard for RVs had nuthin' in it about regulated high pressure till 2008.
    When Coleman made PUs, high end versions came with a Coleman propane stove for outside use, regulated to 15psi at the tongue mounted propane container, operated leaving the stove regulator in place.
    When Fleetwood made Coleman PUs, high end version came with an unregulated HP stove regulated to 16psi at the tongue propane container.

~'04 or '05 Fleetwood stopped HP regulator and only offered low pressure outside (grill or stove). Within a few years, NFPA added HP rules, 30psi within 5' of the container. Fleetwood and their successor started back their 16psi regulator for the outside stove on high end units.

08 or later, Coachman offered a rear 1x20 connection on PUs regulated to 30 psi.

I'm sure cost is an issue, why it is not more common.

Sjm9911 and TSQ like this.
  11. Mark60

Mark60 Member

I bought the camp chef Everest and forgot my 20 lb bottle hook up so I screwed on a one pound bottle and cooked all weekend on that 1- bottle, couldn’t believe it.

TSQ and Sjm9911 like this.