Anyone use a Chuck/Grub box?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ghacker, Apr 26, 2013.

1. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

We do virtually all our cooking outside. About the only thing we do inside the PUP is boil water for coffee/tea. Cook over a campfire or on a Coleman stove.

We're getting tired of digging through plastic bins to find condiments, utensils, dry foods, etc. Running a Cubscout Pack, I've seen a number of variations of Scout chuckboxes. Wondering if anyone here has come up with some good ideas I can incorporate? It'd be nice to be able to have things at my fingertips and easy to pack one box in the truck instead of 2-3 bins.

Don't want it to take 2 people to lift. I can handle up to @110 lbs, +/- 10 lbs. w/o killing myself. Would like to keep it about 42" long or less. I'm a fair to middling woodworker or could have something fabricated out of aluminum. Any ideas you've used?

2. pafree

pafree New Member

never knew about chuck boxes til see the one in this thread. http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=70323.0 i also have to dig through bins to find cooking tools. something like it would be great. maybe have removalalbe legs like slip on pipe like a deer feeder where pipe/tubing could slip inside of the pipe mounted on the box. maybe have the back leg straight up and down so you could set it up next to the PUP. maybe add powerstrip to the inside to power the coffee pot or crockpot and a small night light. it would make a great place to set up the coffee pot and crockpots and just close up at night or if the weather gets bad.

[​IMG]

3. Livin2Camp

Livin2Camp New Member

I use an apple crate my Mom gave us (you could probably pick one up at a farmers market). It's wooden, not that heavy. I put small swivel wheels on the bottom, makes it easier to move around in pup and outside, also put handles on either end, makes it easier to carry and move. In the crate I have the cook stove, folding oven, pot/pan stackable camp set, the cooking utensils, can opener, lighter and some odds and ends used for cooking.
    The cooking utensils are kept in the crate, in a small vinyl bag my dad gave to me, I have no ideal where he got it, I think it's some type of tool bag, it was new, still in the palstic wrap when he gave it to me.
    Our dry/can foods are kept in a plastic 2 drawer container (clear kind, from Walmart).
    Once the campsite is set up, the crate is moved under the cooking table, where it stays until we pack up to leave. 2 drawer food container stays in the pup while we are camping.
    At the end of the camping trip, the crate (and all items within) stays in the pup, and the 2 plastic drawers are loaded/unloaded from the TV each trip.
    Having the 2 drawers makes food packing/unpacking so much easier. We did have the 1 drawer container, but we found ourselves digging for the smaller items that would fall to the bottom.

4. efehser

efehser New Member

Pretty much a build your own thing, anymore. Do be careful with size and weight. You might be comfortable with 110lbs on concrete floors, but that's a whole other story when the footing is bad. Try to limit the single man lift to under 70lbs, that's the line set at the large Brown company I work for.

5. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Scout troops use camp kitchen/chuck boxes all the time. There are lots of plans on line for them. Most of the ones that are functional are also heavy enough you want two people to move them and set them on their legs.

6. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Yes, we use one. I posted pictures of it in Favorite mods, etc. I don't know how to do the link.

7. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My Troop switched to plastic totes. Easier to maintain, easier to store, easier to pack. I miss the sight of the classic chuck boxes, but like wall tents, I am happier with a modern switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Ours did the same thing.

I do have a personal patrol box. Got it from craigslist

Jerry in MA

9. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

We used a "Camp Box" from the mid 80's until we stopped camping in the late 90's for a while. I got the plans from a "Popular Mechanics" magazine back then and took the off season to build it. It not only served us well, but my DD took it when she and her DH started camping. When they moved to a TT, they didn't need it any more so they in turn, passed it on to another family they knew. It's still going strong and very useful. I believe I still have the plans for it and if anyone is interested, I'll scan them and send them out.

10. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Please post them here as a jpg. I'm sure that more than one of us would like it, too!

11. daveo1289

I got the instructions out. They were right where I didn't think they were. I'll scan them and either post a link to them or try to post them here later today.

12. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

13. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

14. ThePassenger

ThePassenger New Member

I'm in the middle of my own chuck box project. I haven't been taking any pictures, but it's in the final welding stage, and should have it powder coated (white) by the end of the week. It will definitely be in use at the California Rally in July:) [SUN]

I work in the metal fabrication industry so I designed mine from .090 5052 Alum. The final measurements are going to be 40x20x20. I created three drawers on one end....3'' , 7'' and 10'' x 12'' wide, one open section 8'' wide by 20''x20'', and the final section 20x20x20 (to be sure cast iron skillet would fit). For the door I've decided to use alum piano hinge (welded on), with a small lip to enclose the front entirely. I have not decided on a "bear-proof" latch, so the door is still kinda in the air or can be adjusted for design.

Any input on the bear-proofing (even though we camp in the Sequoia National Forest; I've yet to see a bear! lol) would be appreciated. My current thought is leaning towards welding a nut on the inside of the box and using bolts (1/2'' x 1'') to secure the door in place by finger tightening. Is that bear proof??

The legs are still in the design stage. Folding legs are an obvious choice, but what about storing it? Sliding around inside? Then I thought they should be removable...but how am I going to hold the box and mount the legs? For now, I have a small folding table that will be my "legs", until I come up with a better solution. Although we haven't used the table in a couple seasons, it might be the best solution too. I'm expecting about a 40-50 lbs box when loaded.

15. LGFurr

LGFurr Member

I bought one from Home Depot- Called FAT MAX!!! http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202262088?productId=202262088&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202262088&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202262088&ci_gpa=pla#.UX6G0bWG1nE]http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202262...ads-_-pla-_-202262088&ci_gpa=pla#.UX6G0bWG1nE
    IT's a rolling toolbox... big open "drawer" in the bottom then a smaller section the a top part for small things... It holds all of our standard "pantry" foods and we don't smoosh everything looking for stuff. Plus it can be rolled around and put in the TV at night. I'll look for a photo of it at the campsite as this link doesn't show much.
    It's only two of us and this is plenty of room for a week.
    L

16. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I've looked at plans a few times, but they always seem too massive for us, and impossible for me to handle solo. To reduce the digging through large masses of stuff issue, we have used flat plastic boxes for years. The original ones were Rubbermaid under-bed storage ones, but the design had changed when we went looking for replacements after a few years. The current ones are Sterilite. We have three: one "kitchen", one breakfast and snacks, the other supper and misc. A couple of bulky items go in a flip-top tote, with other oddities. The cookware is stacking and fits in a bag.
    We do most cooking outside, and the boxes are in the TV between meals, so smaller is better. (DH can carry the stack of threee, I take them one at a time.)

18. daveo1289

19. traindude

traindude ORYGUN

We have used plastic totes. Instead of the standard one. We use one with draws that way nothing gets smashed.