Anyone use a door alarm?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by TheBlurb, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I use this at night especially when I am solo camping. I am a deep sleeper. I also keep my car fob close when I sleep. It’s not much but it makes me feel safer.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Personal preference as to what people bring camping. Telling others what to bring is akin to saying that they aren't camping unless they're sleeping on the ground in a bed roll, in a canvas tent. However, I don't want to have to listen to music, TV, video games, or whatever from other sites.
    Some may have high-end photo equipment, because that's what they do while camping. Our cameras are not high-end, we'd hate to lose them anyway. These days, we have things such as Kindles, cell phones, often tablet and lap tops along because we use them at some point on the trip. So far, no TV, though I would have really appreciated one for some mindless downtime on my long solo cross country trips, since my eyes were tired from driving and and would have benefited from a break from reading for several hours in the evening.
    When we had tents, cameras and books tended to be in the vehicle - as much for weather protection as security. In the popups, we had some in the TV, some in the pups, we would put anything easily grabbed in storage spaces or take it with us. Of course taking it with us is another issue, since we encounter trail heads or parking area where they say "don't leave valuables in vehicles" - and there is no way to leave everything at home, especially on longer trips. We don't leave wallets in parked vehicles for example, but apparently people still do.
    These days, with the TT, we know it could be jimmied open by a determined thief, but we don't let it color our enjoyment of the trip.

Toedtoes likes this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I didn’t tell anyone what to bring. If they don’t like my opinion they don’t have to do it
    My suggestion would eliminate the theft problem.

4. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

People can take whatever they like, so long as they don't annoy other people with it. But if you're leaving $2000 laptops in your camper while you toll around the countryside for the day, you get what you get.

Honestly I'd be shocked if your laptop was stolen even if you DID do that. You never hear about theft from campers. About the only thing you hear about is generator theft, and those sit outside, are easily portable, and are worth a lot, especially if they're inverters.

5. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

Mine is similar it only has 1 chime. It's the Ole Nasty brand.

6. poppy65

poppy65 Member

7. poppy65

poppy65 Member

I have never understood door locks on pups.
    Your motion lights are a good idea.

8. Kerry L. Calkins

Kerry L. Calkins Member

Doubt a canvas wall with our without an alarm will keep out man nor beast. It will certainly keep out all honest folk.

9. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

I have an autisitic child so I use a door alarm when camping. Dollar tree often has them.
    It also provides a sense of security while asleep because ya never know these days.

10. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

all this talk reminds me of when we lived in Chalmette, LA... neighbor and good friend advised "Your wife and kids are safe to walk the streets at night but, don't you EVER leave anything outside...especially fishing gear... it'll be gone by the morning"... odd sense of "ethics", those Cajuns [LOL].... "Life is hard in St. Bernard... ain't no swet in Chalmette"

Happy Trails!

southern gal likes this.
  11. RonDad

RonDad New Member

What I like about this forum: when someone needs answers you have them all (Ex: how do I fix my heater?).

What I don’t like about this forum: when there is not one singular right answer you still have all of them.

If you want the alarm, get the alarm. Cheaper than many other camping supplies.

if your camping neighbor takes his technology (laptop, etc.), don’t worry about it. In today’s virtual-everything you can get another day or two at the campsite by logging the kids into virtual school in your pop up.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

There is never a singular answer, just whats good for you. All else is advice and baised off what others do. If you like what they do you can copy it, if you dont then do it your way. Good thing is you do get opinions. And you know what they say about those. [:D]

13. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

We did that our last camping trip. Fortunately had good cell data, used the phones as hot spots and kids did their school day virtually, even having Zoom class meetings and submitting assignments.

Like I said above, bring whatever you think you need, but don't leave valuables in your pup when you are away... by definition you have a tow vehicle at the very least and they can be hidden out of sight in there. Still very VERY little chance of someone coming into your pup and taking something, but why chance it?

southern gal likes this.
  14. PopGoesTheWeasel

PopGoesTheWeasel New Member

I have a two tone alarm

Attached Files:

15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I disagree with this. None of my family were boy scout types, yet they camped. They also had as much money in fishing gear, etc, just sitting around camp as folks do now with electronics.

Lots of things seem different nowadays, but if you really look, the differences are just in appearance.

16. StormFuel

StormFuel Member

Given that there is velcro around the door of the pup, I don't see much security value in a door alarm. On the other hand, we have a child who sleep walks and it's nice to have some kind of sound when the door opens because we won't want to find her down the road. I've never found her outside, but on one outing she had the door open and was standing there looking out.

Generally speaking we try to keep valuables at home. However, if I wanted to lock up valuables inside of the pup, I think I'd go for something like this bolted to the floor under one of the compartments:

harborfreight.com/digital-drawer-safe-62985.html?_br_psugg_q=drawer+safe

[​IMG]

1380ken likes this.
  17. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Cannot believe the responses one anxious camper got about security. Popups are in no way secure, travel trailers are not much better. I had mine stolen from a storage lot. Your tow vehicle is about as much security there is camping. Until the windows are broken to get the stuff in plain sight.
    Lions Tigers and Bears oh my, be afraid be very afraid.

18. StormFuel

StormFuel Member

Each person's view on security is different. The reality is that there is what makes you safe and what makes you 'feel' safe.

Agree with this, but a lot of it comes down to eliminating opportunities for criminals to misbehave. In a campground or storage lot I'd say it's more about making your stuff less attractive than the next guys. As the saying goes, you don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun the other guy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

My kids have expensive computers. My sons school requires a laptop with at least a C5 processor for each student even before Covid. My daughter has a Surface pro 2 laptop. These computers cost over $4000. I actually feel safer leaving them in the pop up while we are out for the day. I feel safe at our campground that we frequent. During the day we could be anywhere from the top of Mt Washington to a shopping mall. At all the parking at trail heads they have signs saying , do not leave valuables in the car.
    When I started camping, everything that I brought camping including my car wasn't worth close to $4000.

tfischer and StormFuel like this.