Anyone use a Lolo Bike Rack?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Eileen Cowen, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Eileen Cowen

Eileen Cowen New Member

We recently bought a 2004 Fleetwood Laramie for the fam, should be quite big enough to fit all five of us. We also have a vertical bike rack that fits 6 bikes, it is made by Lolo in Portland OR. Here is a link if you haven't seen one before... they're pretty sweet and have been great during our "Tent Years."
    https://loloracks.com/

Anyway, we are trying to figure out a way to use the rack as well as the trailer. My thought is to buy a double hitch and use a 12" hitch extension going to the trailer to give room for the bikes on my truck (1999 Suburban K2500). Obviously not worried about weight limits, but I do worry about jackknifing while backing up. I am wondering if anyone has tried a solution like this with a Lolo Rack or Yakima vertical.

Cheers!

2. eplanajr

eplanajr New Member

Also interested in this topic as I have a Lolo rack as well. I bought mine a while back! I love it.

3. Eileen Cowen

Eileen Cowen New Member

20210427_111444.jpg 20210427_111435.jpg
    Hey! So, I finally got the double hitch, it was like $31 at Harbor Freight. I used my existing extension and put up the Lolo and took it for a spin with a few bikes. The bikes DO hit the top of my TT cargo storage on a sharp turn. I ended up changing the upright angle of the rack (There are the three drill holes on the bottom that attach to the arm that goes into the hitch,) and am going to drill a new hole on the rack hitch arm to make it fit more snug to my TV. Here are a couple pictures of everything attached before I moved the upright angle. I am also going to center my propane tank to avoid any issues there.
    Would love your input - I do love this rack and it's simplicity! Here's hoping we can make it work :)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Just a reminder folks that those double hitch tube severely affect your overall tongue weight....could be up to 50%.

Eileen Cowen and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Eileen Cowen

Eileen Cowen New Member

Very true, thanks! That is actually one of my main concerns (besides the clearance issues.) I *hope* when I find a good solution, I can move things around to make up for the difference. I'm pretty front-heavy as is because I'm paranoid of losing control of my trailer.