Anyone use one of these? PVC Bike rack?

Discussion in 'Biking' started by Chrisplus4, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Chrisplus4

Chrisplus4 New Member

[​IMG]m

Anyone use one of these. We have three adult mountain bikes and two kids bikes to take with us. Will this work on a 2012 Rockwood Premier with roof A/C? Is it stable? Is it too much weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Chrisplus4

Chrisplus4 New Member

[​IMG]

3. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Not sure I'd trust PVC for this task. I was able to pick up an aluminum bike rack on CL for about $75, and it works very well for us:

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Bike-Mighty-Rack-Trailer/dp/B000SKZDD6?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Much more expensive new though... Ours didn't come with the tie downs which is just as well because I don't trust drilling through the roof - both for leaks, and for the forces that wind can put on the bikes/rack. We use ratchet straps tied down to the frame beneath the PUP.

4. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

For that money, no way on the PVC. I'm not sure it would work well at any price, though.
    Nor would I buy the Swagman again; all of the corners developed cracks, it dented our popup's roof and was very difficult to get set just right, and we had to use tons of ratchet straps (we also bought it used and it didn't come with the tethering hardware, but just as well).
    We have since purchased a toydeck PUP, but if we had to sell it for some reason and get a non-toydeck version, I'd buy the Prorac or Sixnall or spend some money to build one like them.

5. tfischer

Corners of the rack? or of your Pup?

We run the straps down to the pup frame below... I"m somewhat concerned about putting too much pressure on the roof by ratcheting down too much but in 2 seasons going on 3 it hasn't yet been a problem.

I'm already pushing it on tongue weight so I have few options on racks. I'm also not interested in removing the front bike wheels (which isn't even possible (easily) with most kid's bikes)

6. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

The Swagman rack developed cracks in the corners, not the popup; so we were worried it would fall apart if we used it for another trip. Sounds like we attached it the same, tfischer, we ratchet strapped it to the frame of the popup. I'm glad you didn't have the same problems!

7. tfischer

I'll definitely give it a look-over, thanks for the warning. I actually just put it on the pup (without bikes) last night for the first time this year. I wouldn't expect aluminum to crack so it wasn't even on my radar.

8. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

I built a PVC bike rack from pictures I found here and have had no problems. The original builder found that using 1" PVC with 3/4" EMT slid into the crossbars was the key to keeping the flex and possible cracking from happening. Search on the site and you can find his and several other designs.
    My camping friend purchased a bike stand made for parking bikes and straps it to his PUP roof, he has also had no problems and I think he paid $25-$50.

[​IMG]

I am the camper in front and his is in the middle. If you look closely you can see the bike racks. Wish I had a better picture...

Adam

9. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Double Post [:D]

10. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Used mine for 4 years. Sold the camper with the bike rack still in good shape.

[​IMG]

11. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Did you paint the PVC to protect it from the UV? Just curious....

Thanks,
    Adam

12. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Never painted mine, but my camper was stored indoors. So sun exposure was minimal.

I thought about using UV stable PVC that's used in constructing portable greenhouses. Found it online, but never pulled the trigger.

I figured for the $40 I had invested, I just build a new one if needed.

Hope this helps,
    JR

13. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

14. Chrisplus4

Chrisplus4 New Member

How
    Did you attach it?

15. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

My Fleetwood Camper had Yakima roof rails installed from the factory. I bought the Yakima anchor plates and attached the rack to the roof rails.

If you don't have a similar system on your camper, perhaps you could slip foam swim noodles around the pvc pipes where they touch the roof for cushion and strap it to your camper.

Hope this helps,
    JR

16. Chrisplus4

Chrisplus4 New Member

I went and looked at the racks. They were over 10 years old so I did not buy them. They seemed rickety!