Anyone using Trail/Game Cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Wrenchgear, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I've been thinking about a trail cam for a while now. I have a few different places that I think will be neat places to have one sitting for a month at a time. These are on personal private property, so I don't really have to worry about it being stolen, however, I will still probably lock it to the tree it's on. I just got one for Christmas, but it's kind of (actually very) disappointing in it's performance, especially taking video at night. The packaging says the LED lighting is good out to 50 feet at night, but it can barely see me moving in front of it at about 3 feet. A couple of nights ago I had some action on some bait I put out in my backyard, and I got seven, 10 second videos of pure grainy black, of bait set at 15 feet from the camera. We've tried 2 different sets of brand new batteries in it, and also 2 different memory cards, just so we could rule out the most obvious. Results were the same with both set ups, you can't see a single thing. So we've decided that this one goes back to the store for refund, and we have ordered a better one on line. The new one is supposed to be here in the next few days, but with the holidays happening, we may have to wait a bit longer. We will probably order a few more and do a comparison test on them, and send back what we don't want. Does anyone use trail cams while camping? What brand and model number do you guys have? How is it's performance at night?

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I m using Primos brand cameras. Don't remember the model #'s. I have 4 set around a remote camp. Night pics are in black and white. They use 8 AA batteries, which I change yearly. These are no-glow flash. A camera with a flash will attract bears.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have several but the TASCO mod 119271CW with LED flash works best for me. I bought several at Wally World (they had the best price) I purchased a stealth cam reader on the Inet and it was cheap, I can take it and place the cards from the cameras in and read them on the spot so I do not have to change the cards every time so i can read them on the pooter in the house.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have a Browning Dark Ops HD. It works well enough but I wish it could be setup via a PC or Smartphone interface.

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I've never gotten back to this subject, and I still don't have the camera that I think I want. The first camera that I talked about in my original post was a Tasco brand camera #119271CT. Something was wrong with that one as it could not take night time videos. I've seen that other people have them and they work good, but the one I had just didn't work. That particular one was a dude. It went back to the store for a full refund. We then ordered an ApeMan model H70. This was a great camera, and I almost wonder if I should've kept that one. It went back to amazon because of a few reasons, but I wonder if I was being too picky with some of its features. We then ordered 3 more, a Campark T45, a Campark T70, and a Moultrie A35. These all had cheap quality construction problems that I didn't like about them, or operations that I didn't like, so they all went back as well. So at this point, I'm kind of trail cammed out. From the beginning, I think I've wanted a Browning Force Extreme, but it is not easily returnable, thats why I tried out so many other cameras to make sure I know what I like and don't like in one. I might get into ordering that Browning in the next couple of weeks. I see that Steve is using a Dark Ops HD. I'm not worried about it alerting my phone, and I've seen many youtube videos about those high end Brownings, so I think thats the way I want to go, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Stealthcam used by this household, mostly at home and only occasionally. Worked well enough. We had been trying to find the critters eating our fruit.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I bought a trail camera a year or so ago to keep in the camper. Thought it would be interesting to see what, if anything comes snooping around the campground at night. Other than the backside of a raccoon one night all I've gotten was photos of cars and people going by.

We were in Colorado last summer and had an overnight visitor of the black bear variety. I slept through it but DW heard him banging around the bear box and he tore up the tonneau cover and scratched up the bed of my truck.

But no pictures!

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I had one for awhile - Got it from AMAZON for under $50.... Made great pictures... Had camo case...

I eventually ran off and left it hanging on a tree haha... Was back to that area a couple of months later but it was gone... This was along the wooded trail on the Virginia/WestVirginia state line border that runs through George Washington Natl Forest...

Things to play with when solo camping...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

kcsa75 likes this.