Anything near Louisville

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by fb5, Dec 25, 2013.

1. fb5

fb5 New Member

I have been looking for camping around Louisville online and have only found the Jefferson Memorial Forest and 2 KOAs. Does anyone know of anything else? It seems like a dead zone.

2. bfahs

bfahs Member

3. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

My Old Kentucky Home State Park is less than an hour away in Bardstown. I've never stayed there, but hear it's nice.

4. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

In Indiana,

Charlestown State Park in Charlestown

Clifty Falls State Park in Madison

Hardy Lake 35 miles north of Louisville

To camp for an event in Louisville, Charlestown is the closest and right on the Ohio River. Hiking is the best at Clifty. Hardy is on a small reservoir.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We like starve-hollow SP in IN. It about 40 miles north. They have both elec only and full hook ups. We get a spot on the lake with elec only.

Clark State Forest IN, is closer, like 20 miles, it's Primitive camping. we never camp there.

6. fb5

fb5 New Member

Thanks for the link, I've been looking for something like this for a while. I have mainly been searching in KY, so that may be why I've missed the IN spots.

7. tenttrailer

IN SP are some of he best parks I have stayed at.

8. gilvin0930

gilvin0930 Member

I saw one this morning that is close to Ft. Knox it is called Otter Creek Outdoor Receration Area. It close down in 2009 and has reopened in 2011. If you are thw outdoors type it has everything...fishing, hikeing, bike trials, caves, hunting, horseback riding and of course CAMPING. I think that we are going to take a ride out there to take a look at it this spring. Some of the pictures that I saw are very pretty veiws. If anyone know more about this campground please give us your thoughts about it. :)

9. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

You are in a good place for camping. There are some great places an hour or less away. We love Hoosier National Forest Tipsaw Lake, Obanon Woods near Corydon, Buffalo Trace in Palmyra(super clean and great only about 30 min from Louisville) ,Charlestown State Park, Patoka Lake, and several in Ky like Rough River Lake, Otter Creek and Jellystone at Raintree Lake. If you are willing to spend and drive a bit more and like full blown family fun and great camping, Lake Rudolph near Holiday World is pretty fun and as Griswold as it gets :). There are so many places to go.

10. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

KY has one of the best state park systems in the nation. 5 CGs are open year round and the rest from May to OCT.

Far from a dead zone there are also private CGs in same areas open year round.

11. tenttrailer

KY has great parks, but there does not seem to be much near Louisville, where IN seems to have a lot. in that area.

12. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

General Butler is north, maybe 30-40 minutes and open year round. If your military in anyway, have a friend, or work for GOV there is a nice CG right outside of FT Knox.

In addition there are plenty of other places. Now to clarify not to many open right now in state system. Get close to the national park system and you will find mom and pop operations.

13. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

Don't be afraid to come to the sunny side [:D]

Indiana is just as close as many places in Louisville. It's just a bridge.

14. rcompton43

rcompton43 New Member

15. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

Neither place in Shelbyville is very nice......that place is very small, the other is well...dirty. There are some nice places in Frankfort (15 minutes east), or Elizabethtown (an hour south on 65)