Anything work to de-yellow outside of camper box?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by dcrowder03, Aug 7, 2015.

1. dcrowder03

dcrowder03 New Member

The camper has yellowed over time. Are there any cleaners that will remove the yellowing of the white she'll?

2. dcbain

dcbain New Member

Old computer buffs have a trick which whitens Commodore 64 cases. I can't remember the details, so try Googling around that.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

There is a product we use for old radios called Retrobrite but I clean with alcohol and use 3% hydrogen peroxide.

4. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

There are lots of posts on youtube where people use oxyclean and peroxide mixed with some sort of thickening agent like starch to make a paste to restore yellowed plastics. Have you tried magic erasers?

5. dcrowder03

dcrowder03 New Member

I have not tried a magic eraser. Maybe Ill give a round of Greased Lighting and then the Magic Eraser a try and go from there.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I just cleaned up a window AC that was really yellow from nicotine, Greased Lightening cleaned it and it is like new now. You might want to give it a try, but in a spot that is inconspicuous to see before you do to big of an area..

7. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Oxyclean.

8. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

9. mbuxx

mbuxx New Member

I believe your referring to hydrogen peroxide. Can be found at stores that sell hair dresser supplies. Actually may not be a bad idea since you need to let it sit in the sun, shouldn't be an issue for a pop up in the driveway(hopefully)

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

heh heh.... "commodore 64"

Don't tell me those a remotely desirable now.
    We had a guy at work who constantly complained about his work computers performance so as gag I packed my old commodore in a "new" computer box from IT and put it in front of his desk... Priceless... he was all giddy until he opened the box

11. 2002sheds

2002sheds Member

Hi,
    This may have been solved already, but it is a combination of the above -- namely, get the strongest hydrogen peroxide that you can (Sally Beauty sells something labeled either 30 or 40), put some in a bowl, and sprinkle in Oxy clean.
    As others have said, the process is activated by sunlight (or that part of the spectrum).
    I stumbled upon a detailed description of this at a site called Lonely Island. Using the above -- described method, I completely restored all of the plastic trays for one of those cool Coleman "refrigerator/icebox" coolers that stand upright....
    The process is super easy, and amazing. You want to be sure that an entire are gets covered, or you will see streaks -- and the streaks don't completely come out with another application... just try to be thorough in the initial application.
    Good luck! It will work. Try to take pics before and after... you will be amazed.