Apex 15X

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by firemantaco, Dec 19, 2020.

1. firemantaco

firemantaco New Member

Good day,
    I’m looking at buying a used Apex 15X, 2019. I don’t see much about them online and was curious if anyone here has any experience or opinions.

The unit was a rental and seems to be in great shape, we go look at it Monday.

Thanks!

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I always have an opinion! Not worth much though. :)

I've been online browsing smaller hybrids and this is on my list. I like the width--there aren't many left under 8 ft wide. And the travel length and weight is somehow less than my popup.

Concerns I have when comparing it to other hybrids with a similar floorplan (but they are 6" wider so it's not a fair comparison!) are (1) the dinette and sofa seem small which is only a problem if for some reason you have to turtle and sleep on them. (2) the fridge is a little smaller but still an upgrade from a popup. (3) Tanks are "only" 30 gallons. (4) 2 burner cooktop instead of 3 burner/oven range. (5) CCC isn't super high.

But again, these complaints are only from comparing it to larger trailers. These tradeoffs are likely worth it. Please report back what you think of it, regardless of whether or not you get it. Good luck!

firemantaco and neighbormike like this.
  3. firemantaco

firemantaco New Member

Awesome feedback. Coming from a 98 Coleman Sea Pine PUP, so everything seems much bigger and more luxurious!

We had been looking for a Jayco X17Z and this seems better on paper. I’ll report back!

4. nickap

nickap Member

I'll be very interested to see what you find - my wife and I are looking at small hybrids and had the same reaction; the 15X seems to have been almost deliberately designed to address some of the downsides of the Jayco X17Z. In particular: narrower width (without losing bunk length!), lighter, higher CCC, and a couple of other things. The 2-burner cooktop is a bit of a disadvantage but I'm thinking it would be easy to replace it with a 3-burner - from the photos it looks like there's plenty of space. I'm very interested in checking one out; none available in my neighborhood just now though ....

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The Palomino Solaire 147x is another of this level of stubbiness. It's 8' wide so compares more to the Jayco.

I'm in plague central so it's nice to vicariously shop through you guys :)

6. firemantaco

firemantaco New Member

I really liked the size and the layout. Unfortunately, this unit was not in “excellent” shape as the ad indicated and the offer I made was not accepted by the seller. It occurred to me after that though it was only two years old, two years of rental life is probably like 10 years for a normal owner.

Tires needed replacement, roof needed attention, bunch of interior stuff was peeling or broken.

We’re trying to decide on our next move. New would be great but the cost is scary for a toy.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That's too bad. Your rental years estimate is probably correct. Like dog years but worse! I would have expected the owner to take care of the roof but I guess if he was planning to offload it in 2 years it didn't matter to him.

8. firemantaco

firemantaco New Member

The roof had evidence of being sealed but had a couple of spots that needed attention. Both front downspouts - one was separated from the main body. They have 50 rental units so I guess they can’t all get the best attention.

9. RAP62

RAP62 New Member

Palomino looks nice, but my choice would be the Apex 15X because it is built with Azdel.

10. nickap

nickap Member

I never heard of Azdel before, but think I got lucky ... a few weeks ago I ended up getting a 2013 Apex 151RBX, in great shape for $8,900, and it has the Azdel construction. Very similar in size and features to the Apex 15X, but 8 feet wide instead of 7-1/2, 2 propane tanks, and a 3-burner stove. So really a lot like the Jayco x17z, but with much lighter weight (2980 lbs dry) and much higher CCC. I'm VERY happy about this camper! See https://www.popupportal.com/threads/recommendations-for-a-small-hybrid.132979/page-3#post-1387128 for photos ...

Canadarago likes this.
  11. RAP62

RAP62 New Member

Here’s a link to info on Azdel, if you want to check it out.
    https://www.azdelonboard.com/

12. Canadarago

Canadarago New Member

Sorry for not replying to this earlier. I’ve had an Apex RBX151 - same floor plan - and have been trying turtling options. The dinette folds down into pretty much a twin size bed and sleeping on the lined up dinette cushions with a sheet on top was surprisingly comfortable for me and I’m 6’1”. The jackknife sofa is too small for an adult. We’re working on solutions to ‘bridge’ the dinette bed and jackknife sofa to make one big bed for two. Involves putting a couple of storage bins between the unfolded sofa and the dinette bed and filling the 9” gap between them with a rolled up mattress topper. Every once in a while we like to have an overnight at a campground and then continue on without unhooking our TV and opening the bunks. One night stays in miserable weather is one reason and one night stays in hard-to-level spots is another. I’ll post some pictures as soon as we have a solution worked out.

Nice to see some fellow Apex Nano 15 owners here.

Dingit likes this.