Apple Butter Time!

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by jrclocks, Oct 12, 2013.

1. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

We enjoy apple butter when we go camping, so its time for the ritual of making it.

My family gets together at our house every two years to make a batch of about 30-40 quarts.

We were all together last night at the rehearsal dinner for my nephew's wedding and we agreed to the weekend of the 26th for this year's batch.

It take Friday evening and all day Saturday, but everyone agrees that its worth the effort!

Anyone else out there make their own?

JR

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

As kids we did. There is an entire festival in Grand Rapids Ohio devoted to apple butter, sounds like you guys would love it. They make it in huge kettles!

3. chippers

chippers New Member

I make my own most years, but not in nearly those kinds of quantities! A couple of pints form whatever apples are left when the deer are done with the 2 trees in my yard.
    I'm sure this is sacrilege to the purists, but the Crockpot is great for apple butter.

4. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apple butter, no... Sadly, because I love it. Applesauce on the other hand, we make a lot of. We have an orchard with great apples nearby.

5. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I'm definitely no purist.

My sister made several batches in the crockpot before we resurrected our family's tradition. Good stuff! Great way to make a small batch.

But the open fire and giant copper kettle seem to add flavors that you can't get indoors.

JR

6. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Word got out at work that I make jams and butters at home. Come fall, I usually have quite a few people hounding me for 6oz jars of apple butter.

Time to get peeling soon! :)

7. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Find a photo from the '11 batch. I'm guessing this is about 1 hour into cooking.

[​IMG]

8. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Had great weather for this year's batch.

Made 28 quarts!

Good times with family and friends.

[​IMG]

9. bjugrad79

bjugrad79 New Member

I live in northern IN just south of the MI border and apples are plentiful in the area. I cook them down in a large pot on the stove and use the crock pot for the slow cook to get the consistency just right. I have three dozen jars of apple butter in the pantry and will use much of them for gifts.

10. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

We lived in Valpo, IN for a while. The MI apples are great!

There were vendors selling apples out of their truck all over the area.

JR

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I live 15 mins. away from a town called Wellesley, in fact I live in Wellesley Township. They host the "Wellesley Apple Butter and Cheese Festival" every year on the last Saturday of September since 1975. I've never gone and have never tasted apple butter. Maybe I should check it out someday.

12. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I bet you'd enjoy it!

Several communities in this area have apple butter festivals as well. They're a great time. Lots of food and they often have arts and crafts going on as well.

Give it a try.

13. runewolf

runewolf New Member

Growing up it was a yearly tradition with my grandparents. 10 or more family members all taking turns stirring. It is something I miss greatly now. I've tried for 3 years to find out who ended up with the kettle. Seems that it has disappeared.

14. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I have great memories from my Grandparents as well. My Great Aunts and Uncles would come over to help.

I was lucky and got my hands on the kettle, fire ring, paddle and the canning equipment when I got out of school. I got my Mom, brothers and sisters together and we have a great time reliving our childhood. The whole experience brings up all the funny stories from when we were kids on the farm (hayrides, butchering, Dad's wild cherry wine, etc).

I bought a new kettle, as our old one was getting worn thin and I wanted to keep it intact. I got it on CL and we've been using it since 2010. Also made a new paddle and a rotary stirrer (in the second photo).

I hope you get your hands on a kettle and revive your tradition like we did. It's kept our family close.

Good luck!
    JR

15. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Thank you for the memories. I was never present when my grandmother made hers but I sure recall the wonderful flavor of her apple butter. I also remember my mother telling me they would put pennies in the kettle to keep the butter from sticking, if they behaved, they were given the shiny pennies when the butter was done. [:D]

Diane

16. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I think many people have great memories involving apple butter. Not as many people make it anymore, but those that do seem to tie it back to their roots.

I've heard of the penny trick, I've heard other use silver coins and even silver spoons.

We just keep stirring!