Approximately how much do these weigh?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Kristiecowans, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Hello,
    I want to buy an A-Frame pop up and I know my minivan can only pull 3600, so I'm shopping for a truck. The truck I like is a mid-range V6 and can pull 7000-would this be enough towing power to haul an A-Frame? Thanks!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

A V6 should have no problem towing an A-frame. HERE are some specs for Flagstaff A-frames.

3. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Depends on the brand and size, options. My 98 aliner lxe with shower, ac, furnace, 2 full bottle of propane, water and my gear is less than 2500.

4. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Most loaded up only amount to 60% of that tow capacity -- I would just be careful of the tongue weight in some circumstances. You can pull mine while it is loaded to its max weight allowed in cargo and still have 3500 potential towing pounds left over... still well within the safety margin of tow weight.

5. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

My aframe weighs 1628 pounds dry with a max weight of 2500. I do t think you need a truck, although they are handy to have around. If you need to justify it to your wife, sure, gotta have a truck to tow. Your secret is safe with me.

We put a hitch on our Subaru to tow our Aliner.

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

The heaviest Aliner has a max GVWR of 3,500 pounds. If you choose your aframe carefully, you may not need a truck. In addition to GVWR, make sure you consider tongue weight and the GCVWR. And always have brakes on the trailer.

Toedtoes likes this.
  7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

My Canyon tows up to 7700lbs and my pup weighs under 3k. I really don’t even know it’s back there.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree if all your planning to tow is the a liner or other popup than you don't really need a big truck to tow it. Now if you think you will eventually go to a hybrid than yes. I have a v6 4Runner that tows 5000. I tow a 3500 GVWR popup and have no problems except on the very steep portions in the mountains and then my tow vehicale only slows up and can't keep speed. It does turn my AC off so that it could use that power to where it needs it. With that said I wouldn't want to tow much more than this with my vehical if I continue to camp in the mountains. The mountains really gave my car a workout, but she did it, and once at the top we were back at speed. On flat ground and small hill I can feel it but the car has more than enough power. It all depends on what camper you are looking at. If you go for the lighter A frames you can get away with less vehical. Look at where you like to camp. Do you have mountain you will be crossing? will you be boondocking with the camper? Those would be situations where you will need more power than what a smaller vehical can provide.

9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

I'm w/ CivilizedOne; if you can swing a truck too, BAM!, do it...someday you might wanna go bigger camper wise...I haven't driven a car since the 70s, not sure I could now...

10. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

When we got the largest Aliner both the Aliner and the Ford Escape were rated for a max of 3500 lbs. I don't think we ever loaded the camper to the max, but we never measured. While the car knew it was towing on the hills, it did fine were we took it. When we bought the truck we moved the brake controller over and have not used the car to tow the camper since.

I doubt you need a more powerful vehicle to tow an A-frame camper but, if you want one, go for it. As my signature says, we missed having a truck.

11. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Thank you everyone for your answers and advice!

12. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Wow!!! Towing w/A Subaru!!!

13. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

It's like you read my mind-I'm torn b/w the A-Liner and a Hybrid! My friends just got a hybrid and I love it! But they are not able to tow it safely w/the family suv-say issues so I am going to do my homework before I commit.

14. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Nice!

15. mark30

mark30 Member

Many people here tow with a Subaru Outback, with either the 2.5i or the 3.6R engine. I tow with a Subaru Legacy sedan, which is essentially a different trim level of the Outback, as both are built on the same platform with the same engines, etc. Hence, both the Legacy and Outback appear to have the same or similar towing capability; main difference is the lower amount of ground clearance with the Legacy. To know the Legacy's towing capabilities, look at both North America and UK/Australian ratings to see the similarities. The Subaru Legacy (North America name) is called the Liberty in UK/Australia.

Using my Subaru Legacy 3.6R equipped with a Class 2 hitch, I've been able to tow a Rockwood 1940Ltd pop-up camper, with hardly knowing it was even there. The Rockwood 1940Ltd weights slightly more than an Aliner Classic (depending on options). The only issue with the Rockwood was the tongue weight, which is higher than that of the Aliner. Hence, there appears to be reason to believe the Aliner Classic is a good match for a Subaru Legacy as well as a Subaru Outback.