April 2017 - So, what did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theyellowbeard

theyellowbeard Active Member

Pulled the pup out of the garage into the backyard to open it up. Survived the winter just fine same shape as when I put in storage in November. Just need to get it ready for Maiden voyage. Time and tv problems prevented any trips last fall.

2. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Got it out of storage yesterday, dewinterized, restocked, cleaned and ready to go. Need to probably repack the bearing as I have not done that service yet.

3. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Reorganised/rebuilt all the storage.

It appears that Jayco need to compel their designers to actually live in one of their designs for a while... Then maybe they'd realise that putting the hanging "wardrobe" closet furthest from the door isn't a good idea, because when you come in, you want to be able to hang your coat up out of the way.
    Or that putting the pantry over by the door, means that opening the fridge door will block access to it... or, come to that, opening the pantry door does the same, since the hinges are on the galley side.
    Or that, if you're going to store cans and packets and such in your pantry, does it really need to be an open space three feet high? A couple of shelves will triple the storage capacity.

So, hanging space goes in the bathroom, pantry shelves go where the wardrobe was, more shelves go in what was the pantry, for clothes....

This is not to mention the cabinet door that scrapes the light fitting when you open it, and the smoke detector that's covered up by the slider, so you have to put the slide out if you want to test or replace the detector battery.

....and we didn't even take it camping yet!
    (that's next month - this is Florida, where the state parks are all booked up from last year!)

Ian
    The re-organising man from Scotland

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We towed the TT to the local KOA dump station, refilled the LP tank on the same trip. We managed to hit the sweet spot for the dump station, which has a bit of a slope to the asphalt pad. Quickest gray water dump we've ever done, so we need to remember that placement.
    My husband removed/replaced the MaxxAir vent covers and upgraded the fasteners on both, including lock nuts. He removed the huge ponderosa pine needle that had been stuck in one vent, we had never figured out a way to reach it with the covers in place.
    We have a bit of an electrical puzzle again, the batteries were very low when I got home, in spite of being plugged in at both campsites. Still low before we left for the KOA, almost fully charged by the time we got home. I know I had a connection issue on the way home, since I realized I had no trailer brake connection to the controller as I was making my way through town at the end of the trip. The plug was barely in the socket when I got home, but at least I hadn't been dragging it, which is what I feared when I had no brakes. (I was in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic, going uphill all the way home from the interstate, so I didn't try to find place to pull over to check.)

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Replaced the canvas! Looking great! 20170409_194811[1].jpg

KWAZ, bob barnes and Natureangel like this.
  6. Va_Camper

Va_Camper Member

Sneezer, I really like the looks of that canvas. Where did you get it? We also have a 99 Jayco Laurel. The canvas is going to need to be replaced eventually.

I popped it up and I am getting it ready for an Easter weekend trip. Leave on Thursday and have to travel almost 5 miles to the campground. We are staying at a Jellystone park this weekend. This is the only time of the year that we will stay there. Any other time of the year and we can camp in other parks for two nights for what it costs there for one night. I am looking forward to it. Anything to get out. My only concern is that on the 99 Jayco Laurel the furnace was an option. The original owner didn't that option. We have the heater strip in the AC and I am taking an electric heater as well. I think the coldest it is supposed to get at night is 49 degrees. I picked up three clearance 40 degree sleeping bags. So, I think we should be good.

7. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Opened it up yesterday after a long winter hibernation. Was pleased to see it got through the cold snowy months with no surprises and no critters taking up residence. Will do some cleaning and clean and sanitize the water system, check all the electrical and some other minor maintenance in the next week, but due to health situations we probably won't get out for a few more months at the least. Going to be a short season for us this year. :(

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really like the new color on mine. I live in the Dallas TX area. There are two Jayco dealers, Vogt in Fort Worth and RV Max in Sherman. Vogt was the more expensive of the two by about $200, although both were cheaper than Canvas Replacements, who wanted about $1100 for the same part. I highly recommend you call your local dealers and see what they can do. I have them my Vin and the original part number which is on a tag under the roof on the dinette side. There is a new part number that supersedes the old.

Mine has the furnace but no heat strip. I generally camp with hookups so a small space heater works as well. I also have a propane buddy heater when I need it from my tent camping days.

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I poked my head into mine yesterday. Smells fine [:D]

10. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

You did that yourself?

11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Out of hybernation and water system undergoing sanitization. First trip for 2017 is in three weeks!!

12. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

IMG_3739.JPG
    Cleaned her out, restocked, made beds, covered cushions with crib sheets all ready to go minus the water system:)

KWAZ, bigmajestic, JPBar and 2 others like this.
  13. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

That is a sweet looking pup!

14. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

We washed her. DH applied the Novus 7100 kit for the annual cleaning treatment on the skylights. Vacuumed all interior areas including storage bins under the dining benches. Repaired a leak from the shower handles for the outdoor shower. Wiped all walls, ceiling, fans, vents, fridge, microwave, AC, furnace and all interior hard surfaces with disinfectant wipes. Mopped the floor. Reorganized, restock, and labeled items. Sanitized the water hose, lines and tank.

And bought her a NEW Thermacell MR 450x Mosquito Repellent device with refills, silicone travel bottles for toiletries, kitchen sink caddy, and additional fishing poles.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

15. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Looks like a Holiday Inn neat!!!

Natureangel likes this.
  16. jonshonda

jonshonda Member

Revised the tongue layout to accept (2) Group 31 batteries and (2) 20lb propane tanks. We will have 310ah of battery now, which is required for our reckless power consumption needs. (2) 20lb tanks so I don't have to worry about it when camping. I still need to wire up the batteries, and figure out a locking system for keeping them safe. But hoping I won't have to add solar to the list of requirements.

I need to replace the Carbon/Smoke detectors for piece of mind (they have expired according to mfg). We also switched our TV from a Sienna to a Lexus GX470, so I need a longer drop shank for the WDH.

17. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Natureangel, you camper looks AWESOME!! If I show that picture to my DW, I can only think of all the ideals she will come up with.

Today I moved the ole gal to front driveway gave her a good bath and wax job, checked torque on lugs, filled tires to 65 lbs., greased hitch, stabilizers,and wench. Already did the wheel bearings and lifter post. I get to have a mans weekend out this weekend will change water filter and check water system this weekend. A friend has TT and wants to see how to do water system clean and check.

Natureangel likes this.
  18. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

So replacing CO2 detector sounds like a smart thing to do. So I crawl in my closed pup to see what I have.
    It's only an LP detector.
    Something else to buy...

19. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

I put a new tool box on the front of the camper. The old storage box was the root of all things evil, or in this case the complete rebuild.
    We went with a 60" diamond plate tool box, I wired it with marker lights for safe travels. I also installed a PVC tube for holding additional poles for the canvas that are too big for the tool box.
    [​IMG]

Then we took it camping.
    [​IMG]
    Weather has been great in South Mississippi.

Laney A likes this.
  20. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

Replaced our tow vehicle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.