April 2020 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Apr 1, 2020.

1. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Added a battery cut off switch to the new battery box. The 100 amp remove able key type.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I've got to give mine a good wash too.

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Cant camp so I started to deep clean the outside. Found this cleaner at Dollar General and put it in a small sprayer. $8 for sprayer and cleaner. It works well. I still have some paint on the front that the P.O. ran over, splattering it all over. I've tried goof off with good results. 20200407_103956.jpg 20200407_104606.jpg 20200407_105818.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  4. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Here’s a pic of my cutting board replacement for the sink. Not that y’all couldn’t have imagined it . Sorry it’s upside down 8967342F-7114-486B-A9D3-9A3BF03CCD0C.jpeg

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

While doing a little prep to install a Progressive Dynamics EMS-HW30C, I had my converter pulled out. I noticed the ground buss bar. Wow was it a mess. Copper strands poking out everywhere. So I removed all if them and crimped ferrules on them and re-inserted them into the strip. Much better now. Even if it's electrically the same, it's much neater now.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

AWESOME!

7. 98Roamer

98Roamer Member

I took the cover off the Clipper and broke the license plate bracket which resulted in replacing both rear tail lights. Now that I have time, i replaced the floor in the front trunk and we're replacing the walls with thin aluminum diamond plate that we had left over.
    Last fall, i didn't get the awning rolled in time and the wind broke off both legs, so we'll be fixing that today.

Next we need to find replacement foam for the cushions and bed ends.

EmilyW, akriot and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. akriot

akriot Active Member

I am so glad you asked! I could use some input... I have a little motorcycle pop up as some of you may know. I'm trying to come up with a solution to fix the ends of the tent Poles that support their wings of the tent if that makes any sense. There is a U shaped Pole in the middle and the 2 support poles come up from the side support poles which are also U shaped. The ends of the poles have been broken and lost a long time ago. I think I may have come up with a solution. I want to use a portion of a 20200409_141901.jpg Screenshot_20200406-205359_Gallery.jpg wooden dowel and a brass plumbing nipple to act as the ends. The dowel will fit in to the end of the tent Pole and also the nipple. Is there another way I can do this? Let me know your thoughts. See the pictures so you can tell what I mean.

9. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I didn’t do anything for my trailer, but I did take my snow brush, snow broom, scraper, and emergency shovel out of my TV. Then I went grocery shopping—first time since March 17th.

Well, I’m sure I heard Mother Nature laughing, when I drove the last 10min home in a snowstorm.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 8.56.03 PM.png

11. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

12. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

We opened ours up yesterday afternoon and cleaned it out (didn't get a chance to do it last fall!!). Washed the sheets and blankets so 2 of my youngest son's friends could spend the night. They spent yesterday working at the Red Cross blood drive that was at our church. Both of them have slept in it before so they know the drill, however I didn't really believe the weather report (it was supposed to snow today) but prepared them for it anyway (heater, heavy blankets etc.). Well the weather people were right, and then some!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    EmilyW, Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I am getting bored being home with nothing to do ...... so today I removed my power core hatch and replaced it with a covered socket with a detachable cord. Easy job just had to make a spacer ring to cover the old screw holes.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Made more reservations for it for our fall trip to Grand Canyon. We now have all but one night reserved for that 16-night trip, the website for one transition night is "undergoing routine maintenance".
    Brought in some ice cream from the freezer and replace it with blue ice. So far, we have not turned the fridge off, since we haven't wanted to find space for the staples from it in the house fridge.
    It's been in the 70s this week, with lows not too bad, but we're supposed to have another cold spell, so I'll plug the electric radiator back in.

akriot and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

Over the last week we did some remodeling on the inside. We are super happy with the way it turned out.
    Before:
    C6DA40C0-697E-4D30-9ACF-6AE0E18800B0.jpeg

C11A4728-1050-4F2C-93DB-71338D6CD9F6.jpeg FFCDBD41-86B7-43D9-AC3E-8F54E2B1CEDB.jpeg 75444655-211D-4760-9F39-7EE83DC9D3E7.jpeg 097C06F4-A303-46B2-9F49-8518025EECB0.jpeg 3C005C59-9783-4D36-8ECC-DDE9FA32710A.jpeg

We also added some amber lighting under the camper.
    37B24746-68CA-4A32-BB75-FFE446C23EC8.jpeg

16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Pictures to me are worth a thousand words. So many great mods and professionally done. Everyones have different ideas and the photos show things we never thing about doing.

I did see something on Facebook that I thought was very poor planning. I know it's nice not to judge ......but a PCV drain pipe to bring your wires from the roof ?????? On a new camper????

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 9.36.29 AM.png

If you think about it, campers do come apart easily ..... if you know where to look. Again I know I shouldn't judge, but if this owner had asked for suggestions his project may have come out better. Just saying.

EmilyW and kcsa75 like this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You hardly notice it. :rolleyes:

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

^^ That’s God awful lol

EmilyW likes this.
  19. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I agree Ray! There’s usually a way to hide things creatively. It just takes a little time, and it needn’t be expensive.
    For instance, my Aliner did not come with a factory-installed exterior electrical outlet, and I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous—yes, I can swap out an existing electrical outlet or fixture, but I don’t do ‘wiring’. I leave that to professionals.

So I can up with this solution last summer. It involved 2 Power Cable Hatches, and exterior extension cord (with that lighted end, so you know that you have power), an old dishpan, and a a piece of plastic conduit.

One Power Cable Hatch installed on exterior:
    [​IMG]

I cut a hole in the bin and slid it over the exterior hatch where it entered the side wall, and is hidden under the bed.
    Second Power Cable Hatch installed on the interior cabinet.[​IMG]
    The power cable is secured to the wall of the covered cabinet and again on the wall covered by the bin. I inserted a short piece of plastic conduit through the cabinet wall to protect the cable. The male end of the power cable is simply pulled out of the interior cable hatch and plugged into the nearby outlet. The female end of the power cable can be pulled out of the exterior cable hatch as needed.

When not in use, the power cable is pushed back into the cable hatch where it is nicely contained within the bin under the bed.

Easy peasy!

Now I really need to replace that ugly flooring! [XX(]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Raycfe, tenttrailer and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Since we were just going to be sitting around the house anyway, we spent a week at our favorite state park campsite.

During our first trip of the year back at the end of February, I noticed a water leak around an outdoor faucet. It took pulling the oven out, two trips to the store, including a 50-mile round trip to the nearest RV dealer, but I got her fixed.

I also installed some LED floodlights on the TT to use as backup lights after dark. I mounted them on the a-frame of the trailer so they project light down each side of the trailer. For now, I used alligator clips to attach to the battery, but think I will as a remote control like another boardmember posted a week or so ago.

Otherwise, did some routine maintenance -- gave the wheel bearings and WDH a squirt of grease, cleaning, etc.

EmilyW, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.