April 2020 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Apr 1, 2020.

1. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

I understand. Really I do. There’s no excuse for a shop to take a few months to do a job that can be completed in an hour or so.

JimmyM likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I installed a countertop filtered water spigot
    Under the counter is a 3M Filtrete Advanced filter.
    Filtered_Water.jpg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Peppir

Peppir New Member

Started bringing camping gear out here. Making plans on ways to increase storage, possible hanging organizer type of storage. Found a bedspread I like that matches interior better. And basically just hanging out in my Home-100ft-Away-From-Home that my introverted self needs as a way to cope with quarantine. :)

neighbormike likes this.
  4. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

I bought 2 new sets of sheets for the pup. We had used full size (these are the sheets we would use on the beds at my in-laws beds at their camp) on the pup beds but they were always bunching up. The new ones are twin size and they fit perfectly!! Can't wait to use them!! (Yes, it's the little things in life that excite me lately!)[LOL][LOL]

kitphantom likes this.
  5. Jawritch

Jawritch New Member

I've been plugging away cleaning mold and mildew stains from our canvas. It's coming along. Also clearing space in the garage for roof removal and rebuild.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Today in the rain was a good day to dewinterize and clean my black tank. Filled it with water while using a wand to clean the sides. Added dishwashing soap and let it sit for 3 hours. Drain water was super clear (didn't think the tank was dirty, but. And the I checked the sensors as I filled it. They all worked ...for now
    I also changed my lock cylinders to barrel type, had to make new locking arms but wasn't bad.
    Yesterday I did the refrigerator fan mod. Super easy to remove the refrigerator . Why I thought it would be a big deal I will never know.
    I got my red LED, but not my amber ones yet. Will do them another day.

Something new to my to do list. A popup counter power strip on the counter and the valve for my gray tank points to the side and is easy to operate but the black tank points to the rear bumper. I have tried in the past a cable operated valve but the cables are very cheap and don't work well. So I think I am going to add a longer rod to the black tank valve and (with guides) extend it close to the rear bumper.

7. JimmyM

I'm dewinterizing tomorrow. It's going to be a nice day so I'll mount the SeeLevel sensors as well.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. mk4

mk4 Member

I spent most of the day removing the converter, replacing 120 V ac sockets
    with usb/12 v, re-wiring, and a heater panel, voltage/energy meter.

[​IMG]

All together saved about 20-30 pounds and a good amount of space.

[​IMG]

Swapped out the ac outlets for usb/12V.

[​IMG]

Even the outdoor one.

[​IMG]

Before heater/energy meter galley

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Close-up. I had a scrap nice piece of wood that I planned to use, but it split on me. So I just used whatever I had available.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We spent last week at the lake. I had a few small repairs and improvements planned but the items I ordered from Amazon have taken a back seat to more important deliveries right now.

10. JimmyM

I forgot I already posted what I did. See below. Whoops

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I spent a couple of hours today out in the TT, using it as workspace. We took the electric radiator back to the house, it's not likely to get cold enough to need it and it is in the way in our limited floor space.
    I tried to open one of the windows, and realized I need to clean and lube the grooves on those. They get pretty gritty, with blown in dirt and such. Now I just need to remember where the "safe place" I put the gigantic cotton swabs I use for that task is.
    Last weekend, I got the remaining adhesive from decals on the rock shield removed and the surface scrubbed and ready for painting. It almost looks like it doesn't really need painting now, but it will be more protection for the fiberglass. It was too windy to paint then, so we're planning that for tomorrow.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I am amazed on how well an electric radiator does heating the camper. And it’s sooooo quiet

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It would be nice to take on cold weather trips when we have power, but it's just too large for our small floor space. It might be manageable on a solo trip, not with both of us. I've been using the trailer as alternate work space (no felines to disturb one quilt in progress there) and doing small trailer chores, and was tired of moving the radiator back and forth, out of my way for the task at hand.
    It does seem to be a much more even heat than the furnace or fan driven space heater, or using the space heater to supplement the furnace and try to get the dead corner heated. [The furnace and thermostat are both in the mid-portion of the cabin, so the ends are chilly anyway, and the bathroom blocks the heat or a/c from one front corner.]

tzmartin likes this.
  14. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, I did it. I went from two group 24s to two GC2 6V batteries. They are installed and wired. Man, I sat there and check the cables three or four times before making the final connection. It worked.

They fit in the Group 24 battery box, but they are too tall, so I guess I'll have to get two GC2 boxes. Besides, the cable outlets are in different spots on the GC2, so the G24 box tops really don't work well. I'll pick up a couple of boxes tomorrow. They have snap top lids too, so checking water levels will be a bit easier.

That was fun. Hopefully now I have a little deeper reserve.

jackquontee and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I works for me when working on the camper when its idle. When camping In the late fall, My wife will sleep in the rear bunk (its closer to the ground and the bathroom) so I can put it in the doorway near her. She likes it warmer than I do, I just bundle up. Our camper is eight feet wide and the bathroom doesn't stick out so we are lucky and have a good size path/hallway down the middle.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not sure what heater you have but the small ones kick some butt and take up less room. I had mine under the dinette seat, and now in the TT put it in a void space.

17. mk4

mk4 Member

Also had my mom sew up these curtain pockets for each curtain to the left and right by the door. I didn't want a hanging organizer there as it seems to clutter up the space. These are for small items such as keys, sunglasses, phones.

Note that the roof is not all the way up as the pup is in the garage and can't extend fully when in the garage.

[​IMG]

bubbafrye likes this.
  18. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time! Diamond Supporting Member

Cleaned and washed the pup. I'm ready to go out today for a quick 24 hour camp out with the kids.

jackquontee likes this.
  19. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

Well, I'm not out camping, which is what I'd like to be doing!
    I'm trying to get my slide out stove to work. It's not getting gas. When I hook up the stove to a bottle, it works. When I check the output st the camper, I'm getting gas flow. I'm guessing it's the connector at the outlet of the camper where it connects to the slide out stove hose, but when I connect it, I can't get any gas to the stove. I certainly want to fix this before my next trip!

20. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Because a propane tank has a safety valve in it to shut off the tank if it senses a large gas flow (like a leak)....... or an empty propane system. Try this ..... doesn't cost you a penny.
    Shut everything off ......... connect the propane tank and just turn the valve on a little then shut it off ...... do this 5 times. What you would be doing is sending a small amount of propane into the empty line each time. After the fifth time slowly open the propane valve fully .... the system will have 5 small charges of propane in it and the tank should not sense a large gas flow.