April 2020 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Apr 1, 2020.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Checked all systems, stocked fridge & freezer, sanitized and filled water system and just now...
    CF4E738B-AD2C-4A97-BF4B-FF67B1BB56D9.jpeg
    turned my outside shower into an outside faucet!

kcsa75, Ladiesman, bheff and 4 others like this.
  2. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

Stared at it in the garage for about 20 minutes. :(

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I finally got a coat of Krylon on the rock shield. Took me far longer to mask off the frame than to actually paint it.
    We checked the water level in the batteries and did have to add, so it was good to get that done. (Dry) lubed the locks for the batteries and coupler pin, and the door handle.
    I turned the bathroom fan on and realized the occasional vibration I'd noticed at the end of last season had not been added to the winter chore list. Courtenay took that apart, we cleaned the fan, lubed it, and it seems much better. We'll see how it does when high summer gets here, we run it 24/7 to help move the hot air in the trailer; it still gets to 100+ inside on most days, for a long while.
    In doing that, he realized it is actually possible to remove the vent screens from inside the trailer, it "just" requires removing the garnish frame. that's good to know for the next time we need to remove vegetation that finds its way under the MaxxAir vent covers. He'd been doing that from the roof, removing the vent cover.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I walked outside to the camper ....... it started to rain ....when back inside.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok so i started the de winterizing process. What a PITA. Lol. So it was easy enough to get the pink stuff out of the lines. Now the fun starts. I do not have a gravity fill on my TT. Instead i have a siphon by the pump thats under the bench seat that does not stay open on its own. Additionally i cant remove it easily. This is coupled with an array of non labled valves that do not match up with the owners manual. After a bunch of tries and following the diections i got it right. But the directions make it 1000 times harder then it needs to be. Note to self, dont follow directions. Especially in a camper manual. So you would figure i labled everything nicely so next time i can do it nice and easy. Nope. Because i really had no idea as to what i was opening and closing, there would be no need to lable stuff. I did find the elusive tank fill valve. If going any where that has no water hook ups and i need to fill at a hose before entering a site, i need to switch the valves over to the correct possition before leaving for the trip. This is because my bed slide is over the couch that covers the valves. If anyone has a system like this to sanitize, first suck some bleach up into the water holding tank, then add water, then run it with the pump through the lines the directions had me do each one individually, whild holding the sipon in the bleach / sanitizing sulution. So i needed 6 hands and a clamp. If i would have started from the holding tank, i would have been able to do it in one shot easy. Live and learn. Might be better to set up an outside pump system to push the cleaner through the outside water hose hook up. No open containers of bleach in the camper that way. I only spilled a little. [:D]

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yea. Me too 4FC930E0-24BC-4B75-A41F-1F70280209AC.jpeg

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Aren't moms awesome! When I was in my 20s, my mom sewed me up new canvas for my 69 VW Campmobile.

Strawhouse likes this.
  8. JimmyM

I installed the SeeLevel sensors on my tanks. No more crudded up black or gray tank sensors.
    I de-winterized and tested out the flow of my new countertop filtered water spigot. It works awesome.
    I also installed a valve as my hot water tank drain. No more fighting with pliers to get the plug in and out every spring/fall.
    The new Oxygenics shower head I installed delivers more "intense" flow than the previous shower head. This is all while using the onboard pump. So I'm happy with that.
    The camper can't be more ready to go.

On my TV (2011 Ford Expedition) I installed SuperSpring (SumoSrings) Coil spacers in the rear. They should help it squat less. I have a WDH, but I don't like the squat it has. I got used to the air-ride leveling suspension on my Denali.

kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@JimmyM
    You'll have to report on how the SeeLevel sensors work. I really wanted to install them on our TT, since the sensors for tanks and battery all seem to be in their own universe. However, by now, we're pretty good as knowing tank levels - we can eyeball the fresh and black tanks, and interpret the gray tank from there. I'm undecided whether to push for the SeeLevel, or just have Courtenay install a meter for the battery.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. JimmyM

Another camping friend has had one for his hybrid for a while and he loves it. During some testing, it seemed to work well.
    I'll report after some actual use.

Raycfe, kitphantom and neighbormike like this.
  11. Peppir

Peppir New Member

Located another electrical outlet. :) And my aunt-in-law surprised me with a gift.. a tiny retro looking red mini fridge, wewt! This is great because with the conversion going to 4 solid walls, some things got gutted in the process.. mainly my kitchen. :( Basically the back slide out bed permanently stays in, losing out on the kitchen. It's okay, though, have the mini fridge, my butane camp stove, and a folding outdoor kitchen thing with sink. Figured we'd be cooking outside anyways. What I lost in kitchen I gained in a whole bunch of storage under the fixed bed, so all is well.

BTW, I am yet again 'camped' out in it today. Me n the doggy load up our stuff and hang out in here. It's about the same interior space as my converted van I lived out of a few years back. But I can stand in this rig. :D

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

I really like that idea. I use mine for washing a few dishes and maybe my hands after fishing. I will never use it as a shower. This I would get some use out of.
    Where did you get the set up.

McSkippy likes this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Dura Faucet RV Exterior Quick Connect Flexible Spout (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082BG5B83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MT4PEbG1CPG8X
    They may sell the flexible spout at rv stores also - I have seen them on a lot of outdoor kitchens. I just removed the quick disconnect it came with and removed the shower hose then got a female connector from the hardware store. It was a snug fit but seems to work well.

Ladiesman and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Sjm9911

Ok so noticed a drip on one of my shut off diverter valves that fills my fresh water tank. It might just be from non use, and the packing is dryed. But ,i cant take the chance as i have to fill it and will not be able to monitor it. So , i caved and finally got a crimper for pex. I'm probably the last hold out. Lol. Time to retire the torch.

fourhallatts and neighbormike like this.
  15. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Ventured out last night to Runnings (all masked up of course) and picked up a refillable 1lb canister kit. Hopefully we can try to fill it today (dh has been working 3rd shift since the NY pause started and has had trouble adjusting from 1st shift).
    [​IMG]

16. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

We replaced the faucet, brought the plastic windows back to clearish from stained and opaque, repaired the bumper, painted cabinets, replaced the curtains, installed covers on all cushions, painted exterior plastic, repaired a corner tenting tear, failed to remove the anode rod, still need to cover the fridge face, yet to install the vinyl plank flooring we bought, need to clean the entire tenting, interior roof, and the exterior bunkend tops but unsure of what is best to use, need to wash the exterior and paint the frame, wheels and tongue.

JimmyM and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. JimmyM

Whooo. You been busy!

clif and sandra likes this.
  18. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

yessir. when we can finally start trying to camp again, I don't plan to do anything other than relax and eat!

neighbormike, jackquontee and kcsa75 like this.
  19. Sjm9911

You can try penetrating oil on the anode. Let it sit for a day, respreay it. I couldn't get mine out when i had the pop up. I tried impact wrentch, huge socket wrentch , heat, hammer , etc. I didnt want to drill it out.

clif and sandra likes this.
  20. JimmyM

Excellent approach!