April 2021 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Apr 1, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

For those who need it, here is your monthly battery charge reminder

Too early for me to have done anything for our camper yet this month. It is, however, good to be able to say that our first planned camping trip is later this month!

Sweetpea and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I ordered a new spare tire cover off etrailer today. ( accidentally posted in March tread).

Kyle R Thorson and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. kitphantom

We were online this morning when reservations for the first part of our October trip opened. We managed to get a reservation at North Rim of Grand Canyon, the sites were going about as quickly as we could look at them. Many were too small for the TT, would have been too small for either of our pups. We may need to park so we can overlap the back of the truck with the trailer tongue, we'll see. I had campsite photos up and on our second choice campground, in case we had to try that one, we have better notes for NR.

4. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

5. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

We went to the hardware store and bought screws and silicone for our aliner bungee hole, funny, the man that helped us out is a camper as well, he was extremely helpful, he's also fortunate to have a daughter that married into a family that owns property that he can store his camper. I'm sure we will be seeing him again soon. That is sarcasm. I did check out his name tag, I've not seen it on this forum.:laugh:

Formally Susan

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

This is a cousin of what Aliner factory uses. It sticks well. Wipe the area down with alcohol or denatured alcohol.
    AP Products 017-412406 Sikasil-N Plus US, Clear

Sweetpea likes this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Discovered that both my battery box hold down machine screws had mostly shed their nuts! Not sure why I never used Nyloc nuts, but I have now.

Sweetpea likes this.
  8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

removed the snap-out screen from our Fantastic Fan and cleaned off the cooking grease and dust with soap and hot water and a soft scrub brush

Sweetpea and kitphantom like this.
  9. Campgrandma

Campgrandma Member

Fixed the zipper on my awning bag, cleaned the awning. Cut down the foam toppers for the bunkends--now the pup will close with them on! Did a trial outing with my geriatric dog, I think she will not be going on future trips! Though she still loves camping, the layout of our HW poses some hazards trying to get up in the dinette bench and the bunkends. The step to one of the bunkends pulled away from the wall and now I need to take it apart and figure out where there are some studs to place screws to stabilize the step. Wish Jayco had made them wider than 4 inches. May have to do a mod. Anyone else with a HW have this issue? What did you do to make the step more stable? Also finding the metal bunkend edge a bit of an ouch factor getting in and out of the bunk. Any ideas on some sort of coping to put over it to lessen the pain? I was thinking of something like pool coping for above ground pools.

10. kitphantom

With nice spring weather (in the upper 70s today) and first trip of the year in just over 3 weeks, I have started cleaning and re-organizing in the trailer.
    The first discovery of the day was that the wind and heavy snow storm we had a week and half ago took out the EMS. I'm assuming we had a surge somewhere along the way. Our power was out for around 3 hours, and I know it blinked on and off a few times before really going out. (Good news is that we haven't found anything in the house damaged by a surge.) The readout on the EMS was merrily going along, but no power was getting through.
    Ordered a new one, but I think I can send this to Progressive Industries for repair, we bought it at the end of August.
    Thinking about how I want to reorganize, and making a list of what is in which small basket is taking a bit of time, but things will be easier to locate in the end. Also considering what items can be eliminated from the trailer, there don't seem to be many, but still good to do.
    I put the batteries back into everything but the fridge and freezer monitors, putting new ones in the smoke detector and flashlight. (We rotate the ones out of the big flashlights every so often, using them for the fridge freezer fan - I hate grabbing a flashlight to find it's dead.)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Cleanning it out and purging stuff is on my to do list, along with labeling all my bins. I have way more stuff for the in case of something happens, i really should get rid of stuff. Like the extra 3 sleeping bags, and 2 or 3 blankets in case the heat goes out. Lol. What other idiot does that? I did order new lable tape, but they sent the wrong type. I got my new brakes in today, so that will be for next week sometime. Then its time to vacume it up and get ready for my 1st trip!

12. kitphantom

@Sjm9911, I've been updating labels too. I had a good supply of tapes in all the sizes I use. Not labeling the separate bins, at least yet. The really narrow tape fits under the lip of the cupboard doors, so I updated a couple of those.
    We do carry extras of things, but not quite that many sleeping bags. We try to have a couple of choices in blankets, since we can have temps ranging from 30s-100 on some trips, two years ago, I was in AZ when the temps int he day were in the 80s, right at freezing at night.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Groomporter

Groomporter Active Member

I put the new custom shade/rain fly up for the first time. Our friends at Spring Valley Lodges sewed it for us from Sunforger canvas. The patio is just big enough for setting up the trailer but a little narrow for the guy ropes for the fly, so the geometry was a bit off, but it will work as planned. Although two of my telescoping poles need to be a bit longer.

I realized I have to tension the ropes nearest the trailer first to keep the triangular end portion on the roof before tightening the ropes on the far end. The color of the fly is a little off, but close enough considering we were trying to match almost 60 year old canvas.

For fun, I also set out the old camp stove and kitchen box just to show them off.
    IMG_2348.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Sjm9911

Thats why i carry the bags, lol. When i fist had the pop up , in lake george the temp dropped to like 36 one night. We froze, i never turned the heater on because it was the first trip and it was 80 during the day. We got in the extra sleeping bags i had brought. And i never forgot it , so they still come with us. Now, i know how to use the heater, and have a ellecteic one also. I probably can ditch the bags.

kitphantom likes this.
  15. Sjm9911

It looks factory. Throw some dirt on it , it will blend right in!

kcsa75 and Groomporter like this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I put a few finishing touches on my 4G antenna mount and marked the roof of my camper. I'll be finishing the install tomorrow. Wish me luck cutting a hole in my roof

Strawhouse and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. kitphantom

I finished reorganizing the main stack of shelves, including those made from one closet last year. We haven't added anything to what we're taking, but it is more organized and a lot easier to access than it has been. I found I had enough colors of the Target baskets we use to have each a different color on each shelf. That will make the master list easier. Can't do anything with the closet on the other side of the bed until Courtenay removes the remains of the metal shelf we put in that, it fell apart on the last trip. I plan to use that closet for extra paper goods when we take the "girls' trip" in a couple of months, since making the dinette into a bed blocks access to two storage areas, so I'm working on ideas for that.
    Measured the old cushioned PVC mats that go in front of the sink (for my old knees to kneel on to access things in the deep cupboard), under the dinette table (warmth, and to reduce the wear on the floor as we slide the table back and forth), and in the bathroom (stepping on the shower drain is painful). Ending up ordering from Amazon, the ones I've had before were from Walmart, can't find them on the website, and not in the mood to in into the store (yet).
    Researched the suggested amount of bleach to use to sanitize the water system, since I want to try that this year instead of the Thetford product we've used in the past. Last time, it took me forever to get it all rinsed out, for whatever reason. Turns out that Chlorox has changed their bleach %, I thought it was just the bottle I bought last, so had to figure out the adjustment for that. Hoping to do that next weekend., after de-winterizing.

18. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

Oh my God, I am rethinking having a camper!! Tents are easier. Our aliner needs a new fing screw for the bungee we bought ones that are a bit too small, emailed aliner, waiting and hoping they can send the right size. All I wanted to do was open her up and start cleaning her for the season. Geez.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. kitphantom

In some ways, yes, having a camper of any sort is more difficult than tent camping, because there is mechanical maintenance to keep up on - bearings, sealing, etc. We always put up our tent before the first trip of the season, to make sure it didn't need seam sealing or such. My husband has a new backpacking tent for this year, I bet he'll be putting it up one of these days to check it out.
    On the other hand, each popup reduced the amount of packing that needed to be done at the campsite when we broke camp. Both were small, so we still had to use the roof carrier and inside of the vehicle for most of the gear, and I still spent - and still do spend time - packing before a trip. I actually miss having the rooftop carrier, as attic space for things not needed right away, but can't use one on our truck. folding down the popups was bad enough in the rain, dealing with tent, sleeping pads & bags and such was worse yet. I still don't like to pack up in the rain in the TT, but it's the easiest of all the ways we've camped in our 30+ years of camping.

Sweetpea likes this.
  20. Strawhouse

Strawhouse I miss my Camping Family... Gold Supporting Member

I removed my table and replaced it with a small 7-drawer drawer unit that is fastened to the front panel. I think it will make a great storage space for paper products, lightweight cutlery, games, etc. Credit for the idea goes to someone who posted this idea either here or on one of the FB group pages. I have a small Camco bamboo table that can be adjusted to 2 heights that will sit in front of the unit as needed. I can simply remove the drawer unit and put the table back in when I need to make it into a second bed for a friend who occasionally travels with me.
    FD78C74B-F066-491F-8652-16D40935F56C.jpeg

I also installed a lightweight lotus pendant light. I bought (separately) the shade and a set of 6 usb-rechargeable, dimmable remote-controlled puck lights from Amazon.ca and cobbled them together with some other bits and bobs. The unit clips onto the hanging wire (cut from an old charging cable) and can be removed for travel. The pucks are magnetic and attach to the top inside tube of the shade. I can easily reach up inside and swap out a puck light with a charged one. With 6 puck lights, I’ll always have spares available. I really like the light it gives out. The pictures show it at full brightness, but I’ll likely have it dimmed in regular use. I particularly like the appearance of the light from outside my Aliner—I think it’s a showstopper! :)
    I have another pendant that I will hang in my 11’x11’ canopy tent.
    45A4C482-FB56-4B20-9E3D-1C9DD8ECB90C.jpeg