April 2021 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Apr 1, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The new Progressive EMS we ordered from Amazon arrived, so we have the TT back to being plugged in and protected. We're not sure if it was a surge or what. We were instructed to cut off the cord and discard/recycle the unit. It was easier, and more interesting, to just open it up, disconnecting the cord to remove it. The part that obviously failed is not what we expected as surge protection, so it may have been coincidence that we noticed it a week and a half after the storm. [Progressive Industries is sending us a new unit, but it may be some time before it arrives; when it does, we'll have a back-up.]
    I canceled our second choice reservations for the June ladies' trip, since we're more sure that we'll be going to AZ, the trip we really are more excited to do - it's been in the plans since last June. East entrance to Grand Canyon is opening up tomorrow, which will make that, and our fall trip, easier.
    Worked in the trailer for a bit, got the "pantry" (it's really mostly dishes) emptied and washed. Changed out to our new Fiestaware bowl plates, which fit well (yay), and removed a couple of smaller sets of plates we don't really use. Gives more space for paper ones, since we tend to use those more often for lunch than real ones. I'm happy to find that I'm not really finding much in the trailer that we don't use, this will be the 7th season with it. I think we'll always have some level of trying something new, but willing to discard what doesn't work at the moment.
    New floor mats arrived, rolled into a tight cylinder, so those are unrolled and sitting under weights, so I can cut them to size when they flatten out.

Sjm9911, Kyle R Thorson and Sweetpea like this.
  2. TheLight75

TheLight75 Member

So far...
    • Replaced wheels hubs with hubs & drums
    • Installed trailer brakes & wiring
    • Removed water-damaged storage trunk wall
    • Removed galley
    • Removed all exterior light figures
    • Repaired cracks in ABS with fiberglass
    • Replaced propane tank
    What's coming this month:
    • Apply 2 coats of Grizzly Grip to entire camper
    • Replace all exterior lights & covers with brand new ones
    • Rebuild trunk storage wall with PVC board
    • Rebuild galley with PVC board
    • Replace roof seal
    • Replace LP regulator

3. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

Wow

Allamakee County likes this.
  4. Strawhouse

Strawhouse I miss my camping family... Gold Supporting Member

***cough***overachiever***cough*** [LOL]
    Seriously, you have accomplished so much! Would love to see some pics. You might considered adding the year/make/model of your trailer & TV in your signature line on your profile page.

5. kitphantom

I got the pink antifreeze flushed out of the trailer's water system today. Courtenay had to turn a valve on the water pump that keeps it from pulling from the fresh tank (seems to be part of the bypass system for winterizing). I know it's there, just could not see it nor reach it, under the fridge and behind the convertor. We'll sanitize the system sometime this weekend. I also found we have a leak under the toilet, to the outside, looks like some sealant goop needs to be replaced, so that's added to the list.

I was online this morning when the window for reservations for the second week of our fall Grand Canyon trip opened up. We didn't get our favorite campsite, but one just a couple of sites away. Once that week was set, I got the overnight reservations for the Flagstaff KOA on our first & last nights out, and Wahweap (Lake Powell) for the night between the two Rims (we can restock groceries in Page).
    That gives us reservations for some sort of trip every month for the rest of the season, except for July. Courtenay is hoping to do a backpack or two in NM then, depends on drought, whether the forests stay open, and a few other things.

6. TheLight75

TheLight75 Member

LOL! I’ve been called that a few times before.

We have a camping trip for early June so that’s lit quite the under my butt to get our major renovations done by then. Later in the summer we’re putting down new flooring and repainting the inside.

Thanks for the suggestion! I added the details to my signature. EDIT: I thought I did? But it’s not showing... We have a 1998 Coleman Cheyenne that we picked up in September 2019. We are glad we did since prices went crazy due to the pandemic!

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It shows up, on your phone you need to tuen it sideways to see it. Lol.

TheLight75, RVAdebla and Strawhouse like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So today I started official "summer-izing".
    Silicone spray in my locks
    Got it plugged in
    Sanitizing the water system. I'll finish tomorrow after the bleach/water has sat over night.
    Lubricated the toilet flush valve
    New batteries in my fridge/freezer thermometer
    Disconnected the maintenance charger and started equalizing the batteries. I'll disconnect them tomorrow.
    Started installing motion sensing lights in my cabinets. I need to buy batteries tomorrow though. Ran out. Oops.

Sweetpea, Strawhouse and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

began waking her up from her winter slumber today - opened the door, loaded in some of the kitchen supplies and first aid stuff i took out for the winter and then closed the door. need to pick up some bleach to sanitize the water system before i start messing with the water system. first outing in two weeks.

10. kitphantom

I finished flushing, sanitizing, and such today. I have to say that using the bleach method takes much less flushing and rinsing afterward than the Thetford 2-step process we've used before, and I manage to do it without ruining any clothing. I'll reserve that one in case we run into really bad issues somewhere down the line. I only needed a little help from Courtenay to reach a few things, loosen drain caps, and put the anode back into the hot water tank.
    We filled the hot water tank and turned it on long enough to make sure it was working, after lighting a stove burner. At some point during the winter, we found the switch had been flipped partway on, we didn't think it had been enough to trigger it, but wanted to make sure it was OK.
    It will be handy to be able to use the water system as I get the trailer ready for the season.
    Turned the fridge on this morning, and by the time we did our shopping, it was right in the range we like. Good thing, the store had a killer deal on ice cream, so it's all in the camper, for now.

The good news is that the leak I thought we had yesterday, under the toilet, was just part of the water spill that happened when Courtenay removed the filter that's upstream of the water pump. More water spilled than I realized before he got it stopped than I knew. It leaked out where it would find a place, so under the pump, under the toilet, and HWT compartment. All good and dry today. He's taken that filter off to check it before, so not sure what happened this time.

Sweetpea, Sjm9911 and Strawhouse like this.
  11. Strawhouse

I ordered gas springs, etc. for my Aliner. Excited to install them as soon as they arrive from BC, so I’ll be ready for our Eastern Canada Regional Aliner Rally at the beginning of June. Fingers crossed that the park will be open!

JimmyM, Sweetpea, firepit and 2 others like this.
  12. S4nsc

S4nsc New Member

I extended the gas line on our Ranger to a quick disconnect on the right rear. Not I can stop carrying those little Coleman propane bottles around. Everything leak checked, split loom installed and brackets to mount the line and quick disconnect.

I also put a tee in with one side capped so if I decide to add a hot water heater in the future I only have to take the cap off and run a couple of inches of line. I would kind of like to have hot water available but haven’t run into a situation where I really needed it. Figured it was good planning for the future and if I never need it oh well.

Kyle R Thorson and Strawhouse like this.
  13. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I had my Viking opened up for the last couple of weeks just doing little tinkering jobs to get ready for a Boondocking trip in May. Those tinkering jobs included a Bluetooth sensor for my Solar controller, a bigger inverter, and a sensor on the bottom of my propane tank (Mopeka) that tells me how much Propane is left. One problem I always have before an upcoming trip. I can't remember if I put the "what ever" in the camper. How much canned food is left? Where did I put those extra batteries etc., etc.? So before I closed everything up this time I took everything out and photographed it. Now I can just look at the pictures and see what I have in there without having to open the thing up again. That will also help with an insurance claim should I need to file one.

14. GalsofEscape

hopefully you will be able to attend this rally. so disappointed that you are not going to make any of the usual ones across the border.

Strawhouse and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. kitphantom

@ Grandpa Don - We have a rule that we don't assume anything is packed, we have to put eyes or hands-on. We use lists and cross-out or add as necessary. We started the hands-on rule many years ago when we assumed the can opener had been packed. Nope - but a hug pair of channel lock pliers can rip a can lid off quite well!

Sweetpea, Grandpa Don and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have bought 3 can openers for the camper so far. I sware they grow legs and move around.

17. Strawhouse

Thanks, D! I know it’s wishful thinking, but I have my fingers crossed that the border will be open for the VT rally. I usually cross the 1000 Island Bridge at I-81, and layover 1 night in NY state. I’ve decided that crossing directly into VT would be wiser, given the circumstance. I can layover on this side of the border, or I have a standing invitation to camp driveway at PopupPortal friends’ place just south of the Ontario/VT border crossing.
    They recently made vaccines avail for non-essentials in my age group. I’m scheduled for my first shot Apr 20th. The decision was made to maximize the number of people who have their first shot, so they’ve currently extended the time for the 2nd shot to 16 weeks. No, I’m not confident with that decision! My second shot is scheduled for Aug 10, so my immunity should be fully established by Sept. The ti:e frame for the 2nd shot may change, if more vaccines become available.

JimmyM and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Pulled the tarp off the roof that was protecting it from the snow and ice. Didn't want ice and snow in the A/C unit. Now all it needs is a nice bath!

We are pretty much all set for the season. The DW and I got both of our COVID shots and we are ready to blow this taco stand!!! As many of you, we are ready to get out and about to do some camping!

19. GalsofEscape

I heard something about Canada delaying peoples seconds shots. Just looked up the vaccination rates and it is interesting (yes geeky i know). US is at 18.7% full vaccination (57 million people) with 35.7% (117 milllion) having gotten the first dose. Canada is at 2.1% full vacc (800,000 people) and 18.7% with 1st dose (7 million). Total population of Canada is about 37.7 million people vs about 300 million US. here's hoping Canadian supplies improve and you get your 2nd shot sooner and the borders open up.

Got the bleach - water system in sanitization mode..... tires held air pressure well over the winter, the underside of the awning stayed white (thank you "Wet and Forget").

20. kitphantom

We took all 3 LP tanks to be filled to begin the season. Two were empty, the other just needed topping off. For those who track it, we paid $3.71 a gallon for the LP, at our handy nearby KOA. I even remembered to light the stove burners once the two were back on the trailer.
    I asked for suggestions for a folding wagon from Sisters on the Fly in their FB page, a lot of Sisters have them, since they are so handy to move chairs and supplies around a campground at events. The one I bought a couple of years ago, being a "best guess" from the large number on Amazon, has a least 2 connectors broken, as we discovered the other day. I ordered a heavy duty all-terrain one, with both a pull handle and a push one. 300# capacity vs 150# - I never even needed that but extra margin is good. The first one didn't cope very well with rocky campground roads, let alone a hilly campground road, so this should do better. I will take it on solo or ladies' trips in case I need to have an LP tank refilled or tote water very far. It gets use in town, we found the breaks on the other when I was using it to haul my 40# vintage sewing machine. Even before back surgery and really cranky joints, moving the machine wasn't fun. (I share it with a friend, and we had to take it to the shop, we can do routine cleaning and oiling, we were not going to tackle the scary hot foot control, nor ask our husbands, both of whom are electricity adept, since they have enough Honey-dos as it is.)