April 2022 - what did you do for your camper?

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I am running out of little projects to complete on the Viking. My first trip is scheduled for May 17th with my son. This month I did do a couple of small things to it. I installed a 12 volt plug-in power source in the back of the Fridge compartment. I got a 12-volt instant hot water heater that I can now plug in to take a shower behind my camper. I also installed some new rims on the tires. The paint was fading and cracking on the old ones. I inspected and lubed as necessary both wheel bearings. And finally, I charged up both batteries.

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Got some stuff to work on this weekend (weather permitting):
View attachment 82982
- HD suspension kit w/wet bolts
- Trim insert to replace cracked trim around front storage box
- Brass 1"-20 high pressure propane outlet cap (plastic one broke)
- Some silicone elastic bands for general purpose use (including across the flip down counter door knobs to keep the doors closed when flipping)

+ painting my new dual spare tire carrier as I got the welding completed.
Wet Bolt kit install thread:

Trim insert:
IMG_20220426_145920216.jpg

Propane outlet cap:
IMG_20220426_134255089.jpg

Dual spare tire carrier:
IMG_20220426_133833071.jpg
(just need another spare tire now)
IMG_20220426_134232541.jpg

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
SO FLIPPIN' FRUSTRATED NOW! It seems like I cannot find a large block of uninterrupted time to install my Road Armor equalizers now that the rig is home. So, since I was working from home today, I did some prep and right at yabba dabba doo time I got to it. Jacking up that rig takes some cribbing, but I got the weight off the springs and then got to work pulling off the old stock equalizer and putting on the Road Armors.

When I got it all out, I went to put the Road Armors on and noticed the overall height of them was about 1 to 1.5 inches shorter than my stock one. It made for a very tight fit and I would have to jack up the axles from unsprung position about 1.25 inches to get it to the frame mount. I GUESS that would work, but that means the frame now sits that much lower on the axles. I was concerned the wheels may rub inside the wheel well.

I asked Lippert about it (awaiting reply) because the literature only asks to measure the horizontal distance between the shackle mounts. So, I buttoned it back up with all the stock stuff, and will have to find ANOTHER block of time to do it, or just bite the bullet and take a day of leave when the family all goes to work.

These are the Road Armors:
1651120478627.png

And this is the stock equalizer:

1651120550911.png

Druidia

Apr 26, 2022
Not April fooling here - it's time for your battery charge reminder for those who need one.

We're getting ready to take the trailer back to the shop in a few minutes, to fix a leaking black water dump valve. It's raining here - we need moisture, so I can't complain (much) but I hate hooking up in the rain.At least I took a ohoto of the drip yesterday, when it wasn't raining.
New to the Portal and learning SO MUCH!!

We just bought a 1997 Starcraft Venture so, for April...we have done A LOT to it. PUP is very solid. Canvas, screens and roof are in perfect condition. Pretty much 'remodeling' it, if you will, to fit our taste. Of course, we took care of replacing any missing or deteriorating hatch covers, cracked sidemarker lights, jack foot, etc. I was sure to get butyl tape to keep everything watertight. Plan to replace the vent on the roof as well. Even though the roof has zero cracking and is fully in tact, I decided that I'm going to put on a layer of Flex Seal liquid to ensure that it's watertight for many years to come. I think this was important to me because a friend of mine has a PUP with a badly cracked shell, covered in FlexTape and putty. She can't find a replacement shell anywhere so this makes me super nervous, as hers is years newer than ours! I think we were extremely lucky to find our Venture.

We still have to reupholster the cushions and pick out curtain and valance fabrics, but the pics attached are before and now.

Attachments

• 20220417_103227_resized_1.jpg
    20220417_103227_resized_1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220424_172233.jpg
    20220424_172233.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 12

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Well, Lippert responded and they said the height difference is common and should not be a problem. Of course, they said stop and check a few times on the first tow to make sure the tires don't rub. So I guess I will be installing them sometime tomorrow.

no Fries

Mar 25, 2013
Fort Mill
Well, Lippert responded and they said the height difference is common and should not be a problem. Of course, they said stop and check a few times on the first tow to make sure the tires don't rub. So I guess I will be installing them sometime tomorrow.
So they "should " work but check just in case. They can't do all the research for each model but you think they would provide the vert dimensions. 🤪

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
First thing this morning, Courtenay got out the compressor and checked all the tires on the trailer and both vehicles, filling those that needed it.
I called Discount Tire to see if I needed to order new tires in advance for the TT, since we'll be replacing them after this trip or the next. Canceling two 1000+ mile trips moved replacement date out a bit. They keep the Goodyear Endurance in stock and don't seem to be having supply issues, so I'm supposedly good to just make an appt when it's time to do the change.
Got clothing totes packed and in the trailer, trip begins in a week. At least with the totes in place, the rest of the supplies under the bed won't slide around when we take the TT to dump the waste tanks today. A bit more food basics to pack today, then it will basically just be the last minute things to add Friday night.

Reactions: NLB

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Got around to flushing the antifreeze out of the water lines today.refilled them with bleach water to sanitize. Reflush tomorrow if it don’t rain all day. Also made sure the hot water tank , stove and furnace. All were in still good working condition

Dugk44

Apr 17, 2022
Hahahaha! When he upgraded, he said to me "maybe you could use these in your's" i said sure... when i came home from work the next day or so. He had already went down to the store and had the wires made up. I honestly wasn't thinking about using all 4... who needs 400 ah? Not me... the most we go off grid is a 3 day weekend for the kids races. I just didn't feel right not putting them in, after he went through his time getting the wire's made. I agree, though. It's laughable.

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
Got my goodyear Endurance St205/75r14 Radial Tires mounted and balanced. My son works in a tire shop ;). While he was at it, we installed internal band style TST tire pressure monitoring sensors on 4 of the tires. (I will add one to the spare next year). Repacked and inspected the wheel bearings. Inspected brakes and cleaned the break dust off everything :).

Learned that when you get everything back to together you have to 1) remember the chrome center cap or you will be jacking it back up and taking the tire off to put it on. 2) brakes should be readjusted while it's in the air (test tow was a bit uncomfortable).

Tested the emergency brake switch. Then I replaced the lanyard and pin when the wire just snapped.

Fired up the hot water heater and got the mattresses out of their winter storage bags. I also setup the dining area (I bag the cushions as well)

Disposed of all the water absorbent.

To do:
Touchup some of the cabinet bases where they swelled when I hit the pipe and flooded the floor.
Add a new cabinet door latch
Add a handheld bidet

Hope for 70 deg days so I can get fix some of sealing on some of the seams that started cracking. Redo the horrible job the previous owner (or dealer) did sealing (my OCD won't allow such a messy job)
Replace a wiper seal on the top of the slide out that started tearing.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Where did you mount the batteries? If on the tongue, be aware of the added weight.
When I added a second battery to the tongue of my Viking I was also concerned about the added weight up front. So what I'm going to do is reconsider where I place items when loading. I have a carry rack on the back hitch of the camper that I will use. Instead of placing the 5 gallon portable water container inside of the camper, I'm now going to place it in the rear rack. That will add about 42 lbs. aft of the center of gravity. I'll also add a few other things back there that should offset all of the additional battery weight.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
May thread here: