April 2022 - what did you do for your camper?

kcrouth

Gold Supporting Member
May 3, 2015
Durham NC
at the end of April, in prep for a dry camping trip to a music festival, we squared up (centered) the roof brace for the A/C unit, and applied silicone lube to all the under the trailer pulleys for the lift system. Also applied silicone to the pull-out bed casters. WHAT a difference!

Planned for May, we will pull off the A/C unit to replace with MaxxFan since we only camp in cooler weather (mountains w/ altitude, spring / fall )

kenquagliana

Nov 12, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Ours is always "interesting". The rain and snow melt works its way in from the ends, so we can have dripping water when we open it. We had one day that was calm enough to open it earlier this spring, after our 3 or 4 snowstorms in a row. Last one was extremely heavy, wet snow. (Alas, we're right back into drought, with bad wildfires all over the place.)
If we lived somewhere more humid, rainy, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see moss grow on that awning.
We've given up trying to keep it white and shiny. We settle for scrubbing off active mildew, leaving the stains behind. It's far less useful than the one on our popup was, so is used far less that we expected.
Is there any way to remove the awning after every trip and store it in a dry location?
Yeah, it didn't take long to figure out the awning bag isn't watertight. Fortunately, our awning slides into and out of, a track on the camper. I have a 14' long shed. I make certain it's dry after every trip, remove it then suspend it from the rafters / reinstall it when I want to use it (sometimes, in fair weather, I don't bring it).

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
No reason you can't, some awning tracks have a screw at one end and sometimes that screw goes through the awning bag core to keep it from sliding off. Other then that, it should not be a problem.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
@kenquagliana Wiht out popups, we just added the awning when we wanted to do so. The first popup was 6'. so the awning I made folded up small. The after-market awning on the 8' popup was just short enough to fit kitty-corner in the vehicle, so we took it when we'd use it. Not leaving it on the trailer saved a lot of UV and weather exposure.

G.P.

Jun 5, 2021
I am looking at what type of preventative maintenance I can do to the roof lifting system on our A214HW A-frame .. I have only had it opened a few times .. and it appears to have "rollers or wheels" mounted on the insides of the roof ... that helps compensate for the "drag" as the inside portion of the roof moves into place .. I am curious what others are doing to help keep the entire lift system Healthy .. thank you Glenn

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I am looking at what type of preventative maintenance I can do to the roof lifting system on our A214HW A-frame .. I have only had it opened a few times .. and it appears to have "rollers or wheels" mounted on the insides of the roof ... that helps compensate for the "drag" as the inside portion of the roof moves into place .. I am curious what others are doing to help keep the entire lift system Healthy .. thank you Glenn
You will probably have better response if you begin your own thread in the lift system section using a good subject line also helps. Posts here may get lost, since it's a more general section.

ehoneybee

Jun 4, 2022
New to the Portal and learning SO MUCH!!

We just bought a 1997 Starcraft Venture so, for April...we have done A LOT to it. PUP is very solid. Canvas, screens and roof are in perfect condition. Pretty much 'remodeling' it, if you will, to fit our taste. Of course, we took care of replacing any missing or deteriorating hatch covers, cracked sidemarker lights, jack foot, etc. I was sure to get butyl tape to keep everything watertight. Plan to replace the vent on the roof as well. Even though the roof has zero cracking and is fully in tact, I decided that I'm going to put on a layer of Flex Seal liquid to ensure that it's watertight for many years to come. I think this was important to me because a friend of mine has a PUP with a badly cracked shell, covered in FlexTape and putty. She can't find a replacement shell anywhere so this makes me super nervous, as hers is years newer than ours! I think we were extremely lucky to find our Venture.

We still have to reupholster the cushions and pick out curtain and valance fabrics, but the pics attached are before and now.
What flooring did you use?

Druidia

Apr 26, 2022
What flooring did you use?
Honestly, I wasn't happy with the results. I used a peel and stick vinyl plank style. I ordered it on Amazon, because it was cheaper than the exact same ones that Lowe's sells. However, I think when they stored them, they had them upright because a bunch of the ends were a little warped and didn't want to stick down well...despite a very clean floor. Oh well, maybe next year I'll go with the click-together floating vinyl.

ehoneybee

Jun 4, 2022
Honestly, I wasn't happy with the results. I used a peel and stick vinyl plank style. I ordered it on Amazon, because it was cheaper than the exact same ones that Lowe's sells. However, I think when they stored them, they had them upright because a bunch of the ends were a little warped and didn't want to stick down well...despite a very clean floor. Oh well, maybe next year I'll go with the click-together floating vinyl.
Darn, I was hoping the peel and stick would work but I can see how they'd be annoying. Thankfully, there's not a lot of floor to deal with so the click ones shouldn't be too difficult :)