Aqualon vs. Canvas for replacement?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by k-t-did, Feb 4, 2020.

1. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Decided to go with Canvas Replacements for my camper renovation. The original was a thin, vinyl-ized canvas type stuff....like a rubbery tarp. Their vinyl has the fabric backing, so I don’t want that. I like the feel of the aqualon, but it’s an unknown.
    Check out my thread on the renovation. Its a weird vintage camper....It’s only sides, no bunk end roofing at all.
    Bear creek said they only do canvas. But don’t know if that’s truly because it’s better or bc that’s just what they do.

also, anyone have a preference with clear vs tinted window vinyl? Pros/cons I might not have thought about?
    Thanks!

2. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

I just received my replacement from canvas replacements extremely nice. Couldnt be happier!

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I second canvas replacements they did a very nice job for me. I even had choice of trim color.

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

I am just revisiting replacing my entire canvas or not. Can you describe what you like about your Canvas Replacements brand? What made you choose them over Bear Creek? Is your user Icon w/ your new canvas? The beige fits well with your pup that has beige on the sides. My sides are all gray Aqualon with darker blue accent stripes and dark blue vinyl border all around the canvas. I would love the same dark blue vinyl along canvas bottoms.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  5. davekro

davekro Active Member

I'll need to call Canvas Replacements for info. It's very disappointing that their website has zero information about their products (what materials they use, color choices, anything)? That is so very hard to believe that they choose to give zero info. Maybe they choose to give zero info so you have to call??
    Personally, I don't care for the three color choices that Bear Creek offers, (specifically 'their' beige) beige, light green, gray. Can people here that have installed Canvas Replacements canvas on their pups please post a full size picture (user icon is too small) of their new canvas so we can see the different colors -and- if the fitment is smooth and snug (not baggy or bunched up). Please mention whether your company the pattern for your year XXXX, Brand Yyyyyyyy, Model Zzzzzzzz. Did it use tinted or clear windows? Bear Creek has zipped canvas inside covers (just like bunk end screens do). Is there any downside to these window covers, bulkiness or whatever?

k-t-did, thank you for starting a new 'replacing canvas' thread, I had just started searching old threads and had not yet found one with much actual info on specifics of what folks preferences were between 'Canvas Replacements' and 'Bear Creek'. If anyone knows of threads that have specific info discussions on the products of these two companies, please post a link here.

My '99 Starcraft Stardust (10' box) has Aqualon (gray vinyl). Fleetwood OEM uses Sunbrella brand canvas. Bear Creek says it uses 'breathable' canvas. If it was the pricier name brand Sunbrella, I believe they would say so. 'Canvas Replacements' says absolutely nothing about what it uses, so doubtful it is Sunbrella. At the $1100 -$1200 price point, I bet Sunbrella brand would add hundreds to these prices. I don't know that regular canvas would be much of a detriment because our canvas is only exposed for limited periods of time, not 24/7 like a canvas car/boat canopy would be where canvas UV longevity is much more important.

6. davekro

davekro Active Member

I just spoke with Gail at the Canvas Replacement Company. I gave her my VIN #. She said the sides and bunk ends roofs are vinyl. They do have Aqualon, but she said it is not as thick as the vinyl they use. She is snail mailing me the 1 thru 15 color samples, a piece of Aqualon and their regular vinyl. They can make a navy vinyl blue border all around to match my current pup. They likely could not add the 1/2" green vinyl accent strip along the top edge of the navy blue (not a big deal). They can use either tinted or clear vinyl (same price). They do do the Velcro'ed post covers. Right now, 2-4 week lead time. Price is $1,100 + $55 shipping to Calif, so $1,155 total price (no tax).

Ray and JeepGuy,
    1)Did you go with clear or tinted windows? If you had the opposite, how do you like the change to clear or tinted?
    2)Did you get vinyl or canvas? If canvas, were your bunk roofs canvas as well?
    3)Did you get a different color along the bottom all around to accent?
    4)If you or anyone can post pictures of your Pup with the new Canvas Replacements Company brand new canvas, that would help us all from shopping blind. :)

They have literally no pictures on their website except the two 'generic ones' (as Gail stated) on their website. She said their Facebook page had pictures, but it had only 'one' picture. It really blows me away they do not want to display pictures.

Now with full replacement quote in hand, I will go to some local canvas shops to see what they might charge to just replace the bunk end roof vinyl pieces (or Sunbrella).

7. davekro

davekro Active Member

I went to a local canvas shop very nearby. To just replace the bunk end roof sections with a vinyl material, he would charge 4.5 hours labor ($440), He'd need to look into the cost of a vinyl material, but said it would likely be similar in price to 80" wide Sunbrella which would be $64/ linear yard. I calculated I'd need 3.5 yards, so ≈ $225 for material. It gets worse... ;) The lead time would be about 2 months. I'll pass on ≈ $665 for just replacing the vinyl roof tops of course. I have one more canvas shop to ask, just to confirm this is not a good option.

So getting new vinyl canvas all around, w/ clear -OR- tinted windows, and blue vinyl all around the bottom to match my OEM color scheme for $1,155 ($1100 + 55 shpg) sounds pretty good now. We had thought of going cheap in case we sell and upgrade, but now figure we'll do a complete refurbish and enjoy it for a few to many seasons if we decide we still want to upgrade. We do love our floor plan. I just finished the first coat of Tropi-Cool paint on the roof. It looks very nice. New white, instead of somewhat yellowed from the sun Filon.

I'm waiting for material and color samples from Gail at Canvas Replacements to come in the mail. It sure would be cool to see some pics of others who have gotten new canvas from Canvas Replacements. ;) Hint, Hint.

I am very happy and excited at how the improvements are shaping up! [Guitar]

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Do a search, ill look tomorrow, late here now! I know there was a thread not so long ago about show us your replacement tenting or such.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

The tops of the bunks are vinyl from Bear Creek. Kind of surprised they wouldn't make you an entire canvas of it if you sent in your old one for a pattern. They were a few hundred dollars less when I got our new canvas last year.

I absolutely love the tinted windows our new canvas has! And I love that they have zip covers over the inside, eliminating the need for curtains.

davekro likes this.
  10. davekro

davekro Active Member

Is your Bear Creek canvas Sunbrella brand? Can you post a picture?

11. Orchid

No, I don't think it's Sunbrella. I have posted a few pics of the new canvas here, I'll see if I can find one and tag you in the thread.

12. davekro

davekro Active Member

Orchid, thank you for reminding this forgetful mind that I had created a thread specifically for
    " Aftermarket canvas replacement, Show your Pictures :) " That thread is a much better place to post the pictures, Duh. And thank you for your two pictures posted there of your 'Bear Creek canvas'. I hope to see some 'Canvas Replacement Company' pictures there too eventually, so I can see what they look like as that is the company I am leaning towards.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

No problem. [LOL] I had forgotten as well. I just knew there was a photo I put up for some reason here somewhere.

I have purchased several other things from Canvas Replacements and they were fantastic. I read on here someone once complaining about a lack of response from them about something (but you have already witnessed my memory lol.) However, I think they were on vacation or something at that time and had noted such on their website. They are a family owned company.

I had purchased the wrong bumper from them by mistake. They paid for return shipping and shipping of the correct bumper, even though it was MY mistake. I also bought lift system parts from them on another occasion and had good experience.

14. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

I'm in the middle of absolute H*LL installing my Canvas Replacements canvas. I decided to go with them because when I called Bear Creek, the guy was short with me on the phone, and a bit condescending, and the lady with CR was super friendly and nice. So there. Just a matter of how they came across on the phone!

I'm not really happy so far with my canvas. They put numerous vertical seams in it where none existed before, which is making installation almost impossible. Also, I was charged basically the same amount as a full pop-up, with many more windows, much more fabric, considerably more work...when all I got was a single rectangle of fabric for my vintage pop up. Was also charged $50 plus dollars for shipping, and due to the small size of my canvas, it did NOT cost that to ship.

Perhaps a traditional pop up would be no big deal...people seem thrilled with the canvases they provide, but mine isn't typical, and it's not been fun.

Today might be the wrong day to ask me about canvas. Was up late last night with Halogen work light trying to install and having to postpone and hopefully not cancel our spring break trip. Bummed is an understatement.