AR-Crater of Diamonds State Park

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by McCullah, May 30, 2007.

1. McCullah

McCullah New Member

Very well shaded campground. The travel channel special has really created a big interest in this park. Cost to camp $17.00 per night, cost to dig $6.50 per adult, there is a children's water park/pool area that costs a couple of dollars. Enjoyable experience though we did not find a diamond--there were 5 found while we were there. BRING SUN SCREEN--you dig out in an open field and it gets warm fast---best time is right after they have turned the field or a rain.
    http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/

Mike and Sheri
    '06 Dodge Mega Cab
    2007 Palomino Yearling 4102
    (look for the Arkansas Razoraback Tacky Lights--HaHa)
    nights camped 2007 so far 3 --

Edited by - McCullah on May 30 2007 10:59:36

2. SuprDadOf3

SuprDadOf3 New Member

This is one park that I really want to take the kids to. Unfortunately it will have to wait until atleast next year, too many trips planned for the year (not that that's a problem)!

-Stan

DW-Dorothy
    DH-Stan
    DS-Stanley
    DD-Eve
    Baby #3 - On the Way!
    Duncan - Mini Dauchshund

2005 Dodge Caravan
    1995 Fleetwood -Stony Creek

3. fergusonman

fergusonman Member

Been there, Done that...dug all day long and all we got was dirty and sunburnt.....but we had a great time there.

'03 Coachmen Clipper 128 sport plus
    '99 Jeep Cherokee
    camping in 07,4 days

4. Indy

Indy Member

I'll second the reviews, although the prices have gone up a tad. ($7 a day for digging and I believe the site rates are up a bit too - can't recall). The bathrooms & showers were newish and clean - very nice compared to Texas State Park ammenties I'm used to. Loved the on-site laundry. Staff were nice as can be. Large wooded sites with level parking - we were in site 017 and loved it.

Had no luck digging for diamonds in the sun, but the experience was great. Very dog friendly- they even let you take your dogs out to the dig site. I have 2 dogs that love to dig up my back yard and I thought I'd put them to work digging a hole, but naturally they had other plans. It's hot out there digging - be smart and set up an umbrella for shade.

Remember me and my helpful review when you find the big one! [:D]

5. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

Thank you all for the reviews, I can't wait to go there!!! I've finally got a camper and can now take some of those trips I've always wanted to do. Thanks to campers like you guys, I know more or less what to expect.

[PU] [TV] [:D]

6. greginhouston

greginhouston New Member

Got a trip planned here for Spring break. Any recommendations of things to do besides digging? We're hoping that it gets warmer in the next week or so

7. Indy

Indy Member

It's about an hour drive to Hot Springs National Park, so we drove up there for a day trip and saw the sights. Another day we drove the Talimena Scenic Byway to see the sights there.