Are BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler's really necessary?

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by barbjmj, Feb 15, 2010.

1. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Well, my BAL was definitely worth the money because it was free !! Thanks Rick Cathey !!

I used the blocks of wood for the first few years and they served the purpose. I never really had a lot of faith in their stability, though. I mean, a little rain - the ground gets soft - the wood sinks - the PUP falls off the blocks, etc - etc - etc. But I am, by self confession, a 'worst case scenario' thinker. [::)] [::)]

Besides that - you never needed the same amount of wood chunks for any given camp site. So there would be blocks of wood laying around. Next thing I know, there's my kid tossing a piece of my leveling wood into the campfire. [:O] [:O]

Once I got the BAL and started using it, I was a damn fool for not buying one sooner. Slide it in - crank it up. No trying to stop precisely on the middle of some chunks of wood. And when I did the wood block thing, my camper 'squeaked' when you walked around in it because it was essentially rolling back and forth slightly. Not with the BAL !! I use the BAL + chocks on both sides of the other wheel - no noise, no movement.

I will confess the BAL is a PITA to store. A lot of guys use insulated pizza delivery bags for them. I would, but I've just never gotten around to buying one. I should, because I'm getting a spot in the fakie wood paneling under my dinette where the BAL rubs up against it. One of these days......

Yeah - I give them a big thumbs up !! I say a BAL is necessary like toilet paper. Yeah, you can use other stuff in it's place, but for the ultimate comfort and peace of mind - it's good to have one. Please, don't squeeze the leveler !!

2. socharming

socharming New Member

I found a storage bag for it at a thrift store. It was a luggage type bag with a carry handle that just happened to fit perfectly. If you're creative, you can find something that will fit. My support arms for the bunk ends on my popup store very neatly in a padded dress/suit hanger ... again, found at a thrift store.

3. recumbentman

recumbentman Ventura, Ca

another plus for the Bal leveler is that you can turn your PU in your camp site to any angle you want and then level it. Try doing that with boards [;)]

4. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

Im interested in purchasing one, anyone selling one?? or wheres the best place to look? im assuming i only need one... Dont want to sound stupid..

5. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

yup, you only need one, try the Sportsmans Guide, that's where I got mine, the price was good.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We use Lynx Levelers. Just don't see a need to spend the extra money. But that is our choice!

7. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Recumbent man, I did that [LOL] And that is why I will be getting a BAL We wanted the camping facing sideways so we would have good view of the lake, needless to say the site was not level that way, so we placed the boards and pushed it up onto the boards, after a couple of tries we were finally successful. Too bad someone else hadn't done that so I could watch because I'm sure it would have been fun to watch. Moral of the story lesson learned, if you are fussy about what direction your PUP faces.

8. Fleaman

Fleaman New Member

I just got my BAL leveler and chock set for the other side, both from www.sportsmansguide.com and there's a noticeable difference right away. The trailer doesn't move AT ALL!

I definitely suggest getting the leveler or both!

9. br9

br9 Member

We use ours but it is not necessary.

10. nuthouseinva

nuthouseinva Portsmouth, Virginia

I bought a BAL leveler last year and I love it. Won't go camping without it. Makes setting up camp much quicker. And we always get the camper exactly level, a must for my vintage camper.

If you ever wanted to disconnect your camper from the TV and move it to it's final spot by hand, you'd still be able to level it with the bal leveler. I haven't had that problem yet but I guess it could happen.

I paid about $80 with shipping.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

of course not. what did folks do before it was available?

12. Engauge

Engauge New Member

Parked on uneven ground, jockeyed back and forth while shimming one wheel of the trailer and settled for a level that was close enough!

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I must be doing something wrong, that sounds like camping to me but I've never had to do that!

One time I had one tire stuck in the mud much deeper than the other, I just moved my pillow to the high side and had a great time.

14. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Right on! and no heartburn! First trip out I leveled, shimmed, etc. Rain came so hard down the hill near us the whole thing changed. (Noticed this when we woke up and could barely open the door).
    Had stabilizers down, stand jacks up front, skid jack down, etc.

Last (2nd) trip we took, I got it 'close', set it up and no issues. Now those of you with toilets, water tanks, etc, might find it necessary to be 100% level, but we just get 'close enough'. A small bottle jack under the frame straightens out any door issues.
    When we tent camped with our 12x14 cabin tent it was impossible to find a plot of land that big that was level. We just set it up so the head of the bed was 'up' and carried on.

15. cheyo

cheyo New Member

We have one and need it each time we camp. It has been worth the price to us.

16. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

I have 4 1x6 boards that I use and a level...I see what side needs to be raised and do a pretty good estimate as to the number of boards. Usually 2 is the max I have ever needed. Just lay them down in a step fashion and back the pup on them. As far as taking the chance of the pup rolling we chock the tires on the opposite side. Maybe some day we will purchase a BAL but for now the wood is light weight and easy to use for now.

17. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

We are around $90 into the Bal leveler after buying a new pizza bag off ebay. I find that they are necessary depending upon SUV, family, truck, storage, ect.....
    I have a 2 year old, and a 100lb lab. The last thing I need to be doing is jockeying a trailer around.

18. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

Not necessary, but wonderful! This is a purchase I definitely don't regret. Not only does it make leveling a breeze, but on an uneven or sloping site, it really chocks the wheel tightly. It makes it a lot easier for me to level when I'm camping by myself.

19. N1BRU

N1BRU New Member

Well, WOW no post for 120 days, everyone sleeping or out camping??
    I am trying to buy a BAL Leveler and let me tell you mos places are on back order so I guess they are popular, I will keep looking... [:(]

20. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

I'm camping at a private CG right now, I walked around and didn't see a single one. However, the sites here are pretty level, but there is one pup leaning hard to the side....must like sleeping uphill.

If you don't have a fridge, sink AC or cook inside, you really don't need to be perfectly level.