Are Dormers Worth It?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Jerold Harter, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

We have a 2016 Rockwood A-214 HW with the hardside dormer. It is over the kitchen and bathroom area. Absolutely love it, have never had any leaks, and wouldn’t go any other way. It makes it so much more spacious and open feeling in our opinion. Hope you find what is just right for you!

2. mark30

mark30 New Member

We are loving our soft dormers on our new 2020 Aliner Classic. The benefits are lots of light, ventilation, and panoramic views. The camper says cool inside with all the windows cracked open. At night, we close the dormers if we want more warmth.

PointyCamper likes this.
  3. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

If we had dormers I think I would choose soft rather than hard. At the North American Rally in Williamsburg last May the new Aliners on display showed both. The windows in the hard side dormers were small and placed high. All I could see was sky when seated at the dinette. The windows in the soft side dormers were large providing a good view and a lot of ventilation.

PointyCamper and Rik Peery like this.
  4. Justdede

Justdede New Member

We have a 2017 with hard dormers. I love them. They are easy to set up and warmer than soft dormers. It also allows me to store food in the trailer in bear country. In California, if you have soft sides in your trailer, there are places (Yosemite in particular) where you must store your food in the bear box. Hard sided dormers your are considered equivalent to a hard sided trailer. That said, I would not have purchased an ALINER without dormers - I think soft or hard is just a matter of preference and where and how you use the trailer.

Tom and Teresa likes this.
  5. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

I think you have to think about where you’re gonna use your camper and if you are concerned about drying the soft dormers out and if you will be in bear country. It’s definitely easier to control the temperature with the hard side dormers and you don’t have to worry about mildew.

Lloyd B likes this.
  6. jadmt

jadmt Member

if in bear country just don't put the soft dormers up. simple as that. They do not need to be up and I have found that even in heavy down pours they don't really get wet. They are not canvas but some other wonder material that dries really fast. We had a front soft dormer in our Ranger 12 and in a 6 month period we camped 33 nights in it. The only thing we did not like and the reason we sold it was we didn't like the sofa bed. We are on the hunt for one with a permanent bed and it will have a front dormer no doubt about it. For the record I live in bear country and never was a worry to me. When the dormer is down it is the same as an Aframe without a dormer so that will not limit you. We never cook in our campers as they have no real hood vent and I always hate going into a camper where I can smell someone has cooked.

PointyCamper and Rik Peery like this.
  7. Longfellow

Longfellow New Member

Do the soft or hard dormers raise the 'folded down, ready for travel' height of the A frame camper by much ?
    Just curious if having the dormers inhibits your view out the rear view mirror (which is one of the major benefits of A frames.....)

Trying to research possible options for us...thanks

8. woodentoy

woodentoy Member

As noted in a previous post, the dormers were a must for me. We camp 100+ days a year and the openness and ventilation with the
    dormers is fantastic. That said I guess it would depend what your tow vehicle is whether you could see over the top. The dormers add
    about 4" to the height of the camper. I tow with a Subaru Ascent and cannot see over the top but don't find it to be a problem. I towed with
    an Outback before that and it wasn't really an issue either.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

TV: Honda Pilot. No dormers on Exped. Cant see over the front bubble. Its all side mirrors. I speculate bubbles are taller than dormers.

10. jadmt

jadmt Member

I tow with a jeep wrangler and see over the top just fine. I think tow vehicle has more to seeing over the top than anything. If you are in a low riding tow vehicle you will have issues a tall one you will see over fine.

11. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

12. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

Ours is a Rockwood A214 Highwall. The dormer adds about 4 inches in height. We tow with a Ram 1500 and can see over the top of the camper. We wouldn’t have an A-frame without the dormer and bathroom. Had a small leak in roof (in flat are where dormer comes out)over the bath area that my husband sealed. No more problem.

Laraf123 likes this.