Are indoor showers useful?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by razcob, Jan 16, 2018.

1. razcob

razcob Member

I am learning about pop up campers and am now considering a hardside.

With no personal experience using a pop up or hardside, why doesn't an indoor shower seem to be a priority for manufacturers to install in only the largest pop up models. There seems to be enough floor space and height to make these an option.

Are they not convenient, or too small to be a hassle?

Many people recommend an outdoor shower, but that doesn't seem like fun in the rain, in cold weather, with mosquitoes, setting up, eventually standing in mud, or risking a fall.

If you have a hardside without a shower, do you wish you had one?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have a small TT now with a wet bath; our pups were both small, neither had bathroom. Short of absolute desperation, our shower will never be used. Between the small space, having to take out items so they don’t get wet, dealing with the dampness, and the gray water capacity, it would not be that practical for the way we camp. We often dry camp for 5-8 nights; our 30 gallon gray tank is just enough for non-shower use. We don’t have an outdoor shower, either; we use campground ones, find them nearby, or do basin baths/shampoos. Having a hot water tank makes washing up a bit easier.

HappyTraveler and NMroamer like this.
  3. razcob

razcob Member

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by,"take out items so they don't get wet, dealing with dampness"? If you use the rinse, shut off water, soap up, rinse method, does this eliminate the dampness? I would think you could easily shower with 2-3 gallons.

4. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Something else you would want to consider is the added condensation from an indoor shower not a great mix....canvas....wood...condensation I always believed.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

We have a tent camper so not the same as you have.
    But when we shower we open the fantastic vent and crack a plastic window open to allow air to vent our with our steam from the shower. Often have the furnace on if cold to compensate as it does get colder with the air whistling through like that.
    For two of us we use around 5 gallons a day including showers using the method you suggest. Moisture is prevalent regardless of method so getting rid of it like we do, or just not showering internally like a large percentage do are the premium soloutions.
    Do the A frames have options of the Fan??

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

With the wet bath, basically the bathroom and shower stall are one and the same. Therefore, anything such as toilet paper that can’t get wet needs to be removed for showering. Some of the other folks with the same camper set-up have added an extra shower curtain but that seems like extra work too.
    I have used the showerhead just in the shower pan section to wash hair, but had to squeegee the floor and wait for it to dry to use the toilet. (We changed the sink faucet so I can wash my hair easier there.) and yes, there was still quite a lot of humidity just from that.
    Between basin baths and using available showers we stay clean without all the extra work our shower would entail or the extra moisture in the camper.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

A shower in a popup is a love for some and a no desire for others. For me, my first and main concern is water leaks which could cause floor rot. Went to see a popup once used and they told me how the pipe on the shower broke and when they turned the water on they had a river flowing out of the camper. My guess they were not on top of winterizing the popup so broken pipes occurred, Although it could also be cheap plastic parts that just break over time. However for a used camper who knows what underlining problems happened. That was not a risk I was willing to take. Second, I pictured my little side kick getting a little carried away with the water and spray water everywhere or me dealing with excess moisture in the air due to hot water and cold air. For most pop ups these showers are only just a shower curtain holding water back. A second inconvenience is on most pop ups you will need a separate portable gray water container for the shower and another for the sink. Storage is already at a premium. I didn't want to lug two tanks.

So it really is a personal preference. I also do a lot of dry camping (no water or power) so really limit how much water I use. Trying to avoid operating the water pump excessively as it could use up my battery power etc. sponge baths are more than sufficient for me and I could wash my hair using the outside shower and a dishpan or use campground showers.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  8. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

I like having the shower, very refreshing after a day on the trail. although it usually only gets used on longer trips or an active day on the trail. I typically camp at primitive campgrounds. my camper is older and doesn't have an outdoor shower but have been thinking about adding one. being able to stand up and shower would be nice. as far as condensation I turn on the vent fan.

9. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I assume this question is specific to Aframes since we're in the Aframe section, but other than damp canvas being a factor, the answers are pretty much the same.

I think the factors are space, gray tank capacity, cost, and simplicity/maintenance.

Even with a large A-frame (mine has a 15' box), we would not give up the floor space for a shower. We typically stay in campgrounds with showers and we use them. We typically stay in state parks and the showers are usually fine (we always wear those rubber shower sandals).

Many folks only use their campers for weekends or an occasional week, so giving up the 'on board' shower is not a big deal. And obviously adding an on-board shower would increase the cost of the unit.

Many A-framers tend to like to like the simplicity of the A-frame and a shower would add complications (water heater, maintenance, larger gray tank, etc.)

When we did our 8 week cross country trip with 2 kids I was very glad to have a dedicated shower stall. When not in use it was a great spot to hang wet rain coats, etc. It was a 21' HTT and the bathroom and shower made life easier for the 4 of us.

Right now, the A-liner with just the porta-potty and outside shower is fine for my wife and I - but having just returned from a 3000 mile 2 week trip where we spent more time inside due to unseasonably cold temps - we know that as time moves on and we do more and more longer trips, we'll eventually migrate to either a larger TT (or a Class-C so I can tow a boat ;) )

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Sotovoce likes this.
  10. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

The more they try to make Aframes that cater to every possible preference, the further they drift away from the concepts and characteristics that made them unique in the first place, and the more problem prone they become.

rjhammetter, Econ, Halford and 3 others like this.
  11. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

There have been a number of times I wish we had a water heater & an outdoor shower, but with only one or two exceptions, I usually prefer to use the campground shower. My Aliner is already small enough that I wouldn't want to sacrifice space for a shower. If I bought a TT I'd want a wet bath just to have the option, but it still wouldn't be my first choice.

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

No A-frame here, but I do have a shoilet in my pup. After 3 years I have never used the shower, but the toilet gets used regularly. #2 is done in the park bathrooms, and showers are also done there. I prefer the higher water pressure afforded by a bath house shower, and the greater room to move around in. I don't like it when the shower curtain sticks to you, or my elbows are constantly banging into something while trying to wash. Since we use the toilet regularly I really don't want to deal with a wet stall while using it. I wouldn't mind cutting the stall out and keeping the toilet in order to give me a little more storage space, but that is more work than I am willing to take on right now.

When I do upgrade to a TT one of my requirements is a larger shower stall with the curved glass doors, as they seem to have adequate room for my needs, and are pretty standard in a lot of the lighter TTs that I am looking at.

Halford likes this.
  13. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I'm with Sneezer; he could be quoting me directly, as I've said everything he listed, from the sticking shower curtain to the #1 only rule (#2 and showers in the bath house) and everything else he listed.

When we were shopping, I was actively looking for a cassette toilet and was just as glad when I found a shower, toilet combination. We have NEVER used the shower. The only thing it's done for us is to flood our towels by accident one time. Somehow, when we closed up the previous trip, the water controls got bumped or turned or twisted or something. When I connected the water on the next trip, it immediately began flooding the shower basin and wet all our towels within seconds. If I had it to do over, I'd get a cassette toilet and skip the shower part.

The outside shower, however is hugely useful ...

MaeKay likes this.
  14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I have shoilet combo in my Niagara (not highwall). I was happy to see that when I was shopping for a Niagara. But I ended up not using it. the shower really took some space, and I wish I only have toilet cassette. If I use the shower, I would HAVE to dry out inside the popup which I have no desire to. I don't want mold on canvas inside. I just use the bathhouse.

Pommom70 likes this.
  15. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

I would not want to mess with putting one up in a popup, but having the bathroom in the hybrid is nice. 90% of the time the laundry basket sits in it but when we get back from the shower house all the damp stuff goes on the shelves (soap, shampoo bottle, razor, etc.) It is nice to rinse a kid off or knock the smell off quick if you don't want to go to the shower house late at night. I personally wouldn't want to deal with setting it up in the pup though as to me most were too small to be functional and took up too much valuable floor space for other things.

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

i can always shower in back of Niagara but never used the exterior shower. I paid for it and never use it!!!!

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

We had one in a PUP and used the shower once, it was to much trouble , had to remove everything that needed to stay dry (inc. t.p. towels etc) then wiping the wet down and off the floor. To much of a problem.

18. Cheesehead RV

Cheesehead RV Member

We had one in the TT that we just sold. In the 7 years we had it I think we used it once. The rest of the time it was used for hiking boots storage. We usually use campground showers or just stink for a day or two.
    Simplicity is the reason we downsized to the Aliner, and I think a shower in a PUP would complicate it more then it would help for us.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  19. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

We rarely visit campgrounds without bathhouse showers. When we do I set up an outdoor shower tent and use the outdoor shower faucet.
    If I had an indoor shower I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in those situations.

20. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

i used the shower in my pop up when i was boondocking quite a few times w the 12v pump and hot water heater .. i also have a tt and i use the shower in it ... i guess i dont want to walk all the way to the shower when i can use mine and walk out and still be in my rv

Orchid likes this.