Are indoor showers useful?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by razcob, Jan 16, 2018.

1. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

There is hot water. I just extended the shower head hose from the existing faucet. I can put the shower tent wherever is convenient on my campsite.
    The shower head has a valve to conserve water when dry camping.
    The only inconvenience is the faucet is not accessible from the shower tent. I adjust the temperature as needed for my family.

2. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

My tongue weight is 288lbs and handles it just fine. We normally just travel the two of us. We have done the Oregon to Utah trip twice now and have had zero issues. We use a WDH and it travels like a champ down any road.

3. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

That is the dry weight of the hitch. My 1206 dry hitch is 305 and loaded ready to camp: 455lb tongue weight.

4. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

I weighed the tongue loaded and it was 288, dry on the 228d is around 240. It has something to do with the slide out dinette moves the weight back.

5. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

This is straying off the topic of the shower question in the A-frame part of the forum.

Our Aliner doesn't have a shower and we never wanted to crowd and complicate the limited interior space with one. Our Lance pickup camper had a wet bath and in ten years the shower was used only twice. DH didn't even shave in that tight space. The space did provide a little privacy for the toilet, but we only wanted the cassette toilet in the Aliner. If we didn't have the cassette, we would have a portable toilet.

Maybe it has something to do with growing up in the deep South years ago. Children in the summer only wore shoes on Sunday and didn't have a real bath every day. We did "wash" and always washed our feet before getting in bed. Without a shower in the camper we get creative and make do. Our '92 Starcraft didn't have a lot of the amenities our Aliner has. We made two trips to AK in it. We were mostly boondocking or in campgrounds with only pit toilets. We planned our trip to be in a campground with showers every few days, but when we were on the Kenai River during the red salmon run I needed to wash my almost waist length hair when we didn't want to go into Soldotna to the laundromat (which also had pay showers). We didn't have a shower tent either. I put on a swimsuit, we heated water on the stove and I washed outside behind the camper while DH pored the water over my head when needed.

I have seen photos of setups using children's swimming pools to bathe or as shower pans. If I had children who needed cleaning up at the end of the day, I would start with a large plastic dish pan to wash those feet.

Pommom70 and kitphantom like this.
  6. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Not really useful, but the DW like it.

7. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

Our old tt that we had for years had a shower. Was a great place to store the fishing poles, but in the 15 years I had it, not sure anyone ever actually showered in it. My Sis owned a MH at the time with a combined tub/shower. She had it for 15 years or so, and not sure anyone ever showered in it either, however, when we traveled clear across the US to the east coast to visit family, it was a great place to use to haul a tub full of lobsters packed in ice all the way home. Guess it depends on how you camp more than anything. For us, it's not important, but for some, I'm sure it would be a necessity, lol!

8. Calldon

Calldon New Member

I've had RVs for years, an '86 Argosy and a fifth-wheel, but have lived in them more than travel in them. I'm thinking about getting a small RV, either a Casita, a Lil snoozy or an A-frame just for traveling around the country and sightseeing. I don't go out in the woods, I'm not a "camper" and I'm single, no kids or grandkids. I use my TT as a portable motel room. But in my travel trailers, if I have a shower and bathroom, I will use them.

That's why I wanted to know how people felt about the showers in the a-frames. With the shower curtain pulled, I don't see how water can get everywhere. I've looked at the Rockwood a-frames and although the showers are not sealed, you can pull the curtain around to protect the trailer. And as someone suggested, you could possibly use the fantastic fan to pull moisture out while you're showering. I would not like using campground showers all the time

9. AAlice

AAlice New Member

I see this is an old thread but I wanted to say how much we've appreciated having our indoor shower in our Aliner LXE. We primarily camp away from campgrounds/RV parks and I really don't miss those old camping days where my hair felt terrible after a few days and we had to leave our campsite to take a shower (it was just too cold outside to take one outside). We had problems with the shower curtain in our unit when we bought it - the hangers damaged the weatherstripping on our dormer - but we made a better shower curtain and hangers that attach to the walls and a compression curtain rod (again, attached to the walls). But it still takes quite a lot of effort to set the whole thing up to use it so we're not using it every day on our trips. And in the cold and windy months we absolutely need to have the interior of the camper heated while showering. In freezing weather sometimes the drain will clog up but so far a little pumping action with warm water frees it up. (When cold camping we heat the water in a stockpot on the cookstove and use a Zodi pump as a sprayer). Also it's a hassle drying off the shower curtains and the towels but we hang them outside and it doesn't take very long. There is a problem with the LXE/Thetford/shower enclosure though not sealing properly around the toilet portion, (Aliner paid to re-caulk which was totally ineffective because the enclosure wall moves too much). So water might leak under the toilet. We'll have to put some tape over the leaking seam.

StlAnnie likes this.
  10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning... I haven't camped at Casitas Lake.

11. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Since down-sized to an Aliner, we travel with only 2 of us. Hit the public bathroom is much easier. For 1-2 days between, we can clean our body with a tub of hot water and a towel. Lot of parks now offer shower. There are plenty of truck stop on the road if we need one. I would vote NO.

12. penny

penny Well-Known Member

We briefly had a big Aliner that had a nice cassette toilet in a bathroom. Never showered, but really liked the idea it was there. Toilet was real convenient. The bathroom was a good idea, but took up too much space. We never showered, did wash hair and rinse off feet a few times, it was a pain, couldn't really stand up, wet floor and such.
    I don't want one in my "new" pop up for the reasons others have mentioned; water conservation, tight quarters, keeping water from getting things wet. A shower should be "relaxing". I've never enjoyed it in a camper! Even our rialta, which has a really ingenious pull out bathroom, fold up sink and removable floor over shower pan and drain, is too much trouble. It is warm and cozy and has hot water, but just so much easier to use a sink of hot water to wash up, and shower in one of the other many options.

13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

My wife and I have discussed what we are moving to after we get rid of the kids in a few years. We think the Rockwood A214HW which has a hard wall cassette toilet /shower area looks like it would be perfect for two. Having the dormers would give extra standing room (I think) in the bathroom area.

I have been in some really skanky showers... though I'm usually more worried about the toilet in the middle of the night.

14. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I agree about skanky showers! Better to need a shower than to take a shower. We use an spiffy new porta potty in our small pup. No midnight walks for me!

Pommom70 likes this.
  15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

If you gots the room couldn't be any better having one.

In our case we have the CASSETTE POTTY with Shower Combo and the pot part gets used alot. The shower part is just to small for me. You have to sit on the pot to take your shower haha... There is just something wrong with that idea for me at any rate... I never know if the I am suppose to have the lid up or down hehe...

Even with the privacy curtains it is just not big enough to be practical for us...

[​IMG]

We will wash up at the Sink or go use the camp ground shower...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

16. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I specifically chose my pup because it DIDN'T have a cassette toilet or shower. I didn't want the floor space usage or moisture inside the rig. My pup also does not have a grey tank, so I have one of those rolling totes that I use for the sink drain or to dump my dish pans into, so a shower would just be a giant pain for me. I lived in my grandparents large 5th wheel for a month when I was in college (which was an adventure in and of itself), the shower was just so small that it wasn't comfortable to use and the lack of water pressure didn't help matters any.

I do have the outdoor shower on my pup. I've never actually used it to shower, but I do use it frequently for dishes. I've also used it to clean mud off the dog a time or two. Then there is the issue with the "no grey water dumping" rules at most campgrounds with the outdoor shower unless you have some setup to capture it, which leads me back to the same problem of having to haul it to dispose of it properly. You should NEVER dump your grey water on the ground, if for no other reason than the next person that camps on your site doesn't want to wade through your waste or food particles. Not to mention standing water draws mosquitoes.

Most campgrounds I visit have decent shower facilities (I highly recommend a cheap pair of flip-flops or shower shoes [;)]). Even if I have to pay some quarters for them (I always keep a roll in my shower bag) it's worth it to me. Many of my trips are short weekend variety, and if I'm not physically exerting myself, I just wait until I get home and shower there. I do a lot of kayaking, so a quick dip in the river or lake doubles as a bath on the [CF]really hot[CF] days, ha ha.

I don't have kids so I imagine my needs are far different than those of you parents/grandparents out there. Back to the OP's question, it comes down to personal preference.

Byrd_Huntr and myride like this.
  17. Calldon

Calldon New Member

I'm single, no kids so I'll be traveling by myself for the most part. I've lived in an RV full time for 20 years first a 1986 Airstream Argosy and now a Nuwa Hitchhiker. I'm only 5' 6" so I don't have the height problem. I haven't used to shower in a pop-up or a frame but I would rather have my private bath than use a campground shower, although I've done it in the past. But that's why they make different models, some with and some without.

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It's not really "in the camper." It's sealed off under the toilet unless it's being used. You put RV chemicals and water in at the start of every trip so everything dissolves and doesn't smell. I have a very sensitive sense of smell, which is why I could never use one of those luggable loo things or kitty litter. Anything come out of the south end of a human needs to go directly down a hole into a vat of liquid chemicals. LOL

As a reply to other posters about "steam, condensation, the horrors of being touched by a shower curtain, etc." -

A pup shower is not like a home shower. You don't turn that bad boy on full blast hot water with steam rolling off of it. It's more of a quick wet, then off, then quick rinse. Being in Florida, we always have the a/c running while it's in use and have never had any feeling of dampness throughout the trailer.

Our shower curtain is custom made by me. It's two vinyl shower curtains sewn together so it's wide enough to go all the way around. Then I cut and seamed the bottom to conform to the stall and sewed on Velcro along the ends. I put Velcro around the shower enclosure, both at the bottom and one place on the side, so it's all tight and not a drop of water can escape. Then I put a fabric curtain on the outside just for looks.

If I happen to hit the shower curtain with an elbow, it won't stick to me. It stays put because it's secured. Just takes a bit of planning, but certainly no reason to avoid using the shower because it's not perfect as originally presented. Lots of folks with some pretty intense and complex mods on this board - Velcro'ing a shower curtain is pretty easy in comparison.

Our shower is enclosure is fairly large, and our hinged wall is much higher than most I've seen. The lift up wall goes nearly to the ceiling. I guess they started making them smaller in newer models to allow space for additional amenities. Our pup lacks seating space. We only have the dinette. It would be nice to have a couch, but not giving up the bathroom for it since we don't spend a whole lot of time in the camper anyway.

The one thing I have not used, but would like to, is the outdoor shower. The only reason we don't use it is because I have no idea what to do about the grey water. No real way to collect it. We camp almost exclusively at state parks where it's against the rules to let water run out like that.

I do still use park showers when they are nice. However, I nearly always shower the grandchildren in the pup as they can get filthy on the way back from the bathhouse. It's also nice to just wash off feet before getting in bed, since we most often camp at the beach. I hate sand in the beds.

19. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I love my outdoor shower and shower tent. For the grey water, I stand in a bendy plastic garden tote with handles that collects the water. I then just grab the handles and walk it over to the drain at the campsite and dump it, super easy. I take quick "utilitarian" showers, so it's only a couple of gallons of water.

20. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

An inside shower is critical for me. It came with my 2005 Aliner Expedition. The factory shower curtain was beyond a joke and ridiculous. I custom made a shower curtain the way that it had been factory made for my prior functional shower of a Jayco tent trailer. This solved the shower problem Aliner couldn't seen to figure out. Never a drop has left the shower area. The prior owner had caused the start of water staining due to trying to use the ridiculous shower curtain components that don't cut it. They were tossed out!

With this shower we avoid athletes foot exposure and have it for both full hookup campsites and very remote dry-camping sites. I bought my Aliner for "real camping" not stops at rv parks every night. I have a mounted Honda generator on the rear so the trailer is completely self-contained. I combine the shower waste line and the sink drain line at RV parks. This meant I had to install a check valve so the sink drain didn't back up into the shower area. This is another reason some may have had bad experiences using their showers--the sink waste backed up into the shower since it couldn't go down the 5/8" hose that fast to the RV park 4" drain hole.

There is velcro all around the custom nylon shower curtain including down the sides of the entry area. Not one owner of an Aliner has shown any interest whatsoever in this to date after owning it 10 years.

One last comment is that the shower heads seem to let 8 gallons a minute pass through them. Thus in one minute your tank is dry. Solution--use a hot glue gun to plug the outer 80 holes and only keep the inner circle of 6 holes open! Then carefully and sparingly use the water and you can get buy with a two gallon shower if water is to be obtained remotely.
    Aliner 8.JPG IMG_0131R.JPG

Orchid and PointyCamper like this.