Are indoor showers useful?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by razcob, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Used it quite often in the early days in the tent popup with family, but gradually slowed down. We don't miss the shower room at all in the Aliner. Just clean the face and body with a wet hot towel, and pay for shower once every 2-3 days. Less sex, fewer bath :(.

Cheesehead RV likes this.
  2. Sam2jack

Sam2jack New Member

I know this is older, but I have the A214HW and love my shoilette. The shower is great. I have it down to less than 3 gallons into a 5 gal bucket. I am in dry desert area and can dump that into dry sage brush. It will be dry again within a couple hours. If at campground with hookups, can dump into sewer hookup. I am very happy to shower at night and climb into clean sheets. Or even just to wash my feet at night.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

curious- are you aware of Federal and State laws on dumping grey water on ground?

4. Sam2jack

Sam2jack New Member

The rules in my campground say to spread soapy water around the campsite on the brush. I never have puddles!

5. KeepsakePaps

KeepsakePaps New Member

Have a 2004 Expedition with cassette toilet/shower combo. Love it! Use it all the time! So glad to have 'my own.'

Orchid and KamperKel like this.
  6. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

In our Rockwood PUP, we have a wet bath and LOVE it!!

Orchid likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't know that your photos will show on this reply, but no mention of of it in the text to quote. I love the joined drained! I wish someone would do that for me, on our camper. I may ask DH to do it eventually, but I know it's going to be an ordeal and don't feel like listening to him complain.

I would do it myself if not for my useless knees. I'm pretty independent and do everything that I'm physically capable of doing.

8. JLE

JLE Member

You'll see from all of the replies, it is a very personal preference. For us, bottom line was we wanted a toilet and it came with the shower in our A-frame Comet. It had a curtain that came with it attached to te ceiling by velcro, so easy to put up and store. We just take the shower hose and shower head off and store it in the side cupboard for when needed. We simply put a small plastic basin, which we always have with us on trips, under the outside drain when we take a shower. We use little water but it is nice to have warm water shower a couple times a week when we are on longer trips. If there was an option to have a smaller toilet in a closed space (which there is in some newer models we've seen) we'd skip the shower and just use our basin. Another thing to keep in mind if you live in colder climates is you'll have to winterize the waterline (no big deal).

9. campwisperer

campwisperer New Member

We have probably owned a couple dozen trailers over our 33 years together. Small tent trailers, HW tent trailers, HI LO, 19' TT, 26' TT, 29' TT, 30' motorhome and currently a Chalet A frame. The only time we ever used a shower was during the last 3 summers camp hosting at a local campground. Hooked up to water and sewer, the shower was a necessity. All other trailers we either used the outside shower head to wash our hair, or a solar black shower bag. We just used towelettes to wash up. Living in the trailer for 4+ months at a time, the shower was a life saver. If you are not full time living in the trailer, a shower is not a deal breaker; but no toilet is.

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

If wife & I go, it'll be where there's a shower/bath house per her...tried to get her to embrace taking an "Army grunt" bath, no luck...she has adapted to using a portable crapper for late night needs, so all is not lost...

HappyTraveler likes this.
  11. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

It is a toss up with the wife and I which is more important, the shower or the toilet in our pup. I know we wont ever be without either one again in any future campers.

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

To me, the toilet trumps, but still agree that we wouldn't be without either again.

13. Caravaner

Caravaner New Member

How do you contain and legally dispose of the grey water when you take an outdoor shower?

14. penny

penny Well-Known Member

In some states it is illegal to dump grey water. not even tent campers are supposed to toss water anywhere except in the approved drains or dishwashing sites. In other states it is legal to responsibly dispose of grey water in bushes or away from the campground. It is in every camper's best interest to practice good water management and cleanliness of grey water around their campsite. strain food particles and/or wipe dishes clean before washing so the water is clean and always use soap that is eco friendly.

15. Caravaner

Caravaner New Member

That's all sound advice, but do you not take outdoor showers?

16. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

When the DW or I take showers in our potty/shower tent, we stand in or lean over a flex tub (similar to the one below) to capture as much grey water a possible. It doesn't capture all of the grey water, probably about 90% of it. We then then dispose of the grey water in the manner described by the local rules or ordinances.

There are a lot of different rules, depending on the area we are in. The last campground we were at provided a grated dumping "pit" specifically for grey water.

[​IMG]

You can see it if you click on the picture below.
    2018 Grand Portage 01.JPG

Econ likes this.
  17. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

There's a whole thread on this if you're interested:
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads/gray-water-collection-w-outdoor-shower.122297/

Use a plastic or inflatable kiddie/doggie pool, oil drip pan, water heater catch basin, or anything else in which you can stand that collects water.

I can't speak to indoor showers in Aframes, but I did desperately want a PUP with a combo stall. My Jayco dealer said those are rarely built anymore and hard to find because so few people want them. After owning a PUP without one, I now understand why, as covered by others who mentioned removing toilet paper, toilet paper and toiletries before showering; ridding camper of moisture; drying the floor pan; banging elbows into stuff surrounded by curtains; and not having enough grey water storage about sums it up. The toilet is far more valuable part of the combo stall. Since we bought a PUP without a stall, we bought a Thetford 260B that stored under a table when not in use. With our TT and its shower/tub, military showers are great at the end of a long day - no need to shlep toiletries and towels to the bathhouse wearing sandals and pajamas.

18. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I have a shower in my Flagstaff. I use it every day, although Navy shower style. I wouldn't be without it.

19. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

We have the shower/commode combo in our Rockwood A-frame. (shoilet) We use the shower if the campground showers are gross or if weather is lousy for going out. Love having the option of using it. At 57 and 58 years of age, my husband and I wouldn’t be without the commode!

20. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

Oh, and the shower curtain that surrounds it keeps toilet paper and other items from getting wet. No problem with humidity either. And it drains out well enough that it isn’t a problem to use commode soon again. I just dry it off and put the bath mat back down inside.