Are manufacturers still building hybrids

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by raising4daughters, Sep 4, 2021.

1. raising4daughters

raising4daughters Active Member

The drop in PUP production volume is pretty well documented, but looking around Ohio and Western PA dealer lots, I see very few HTTs. Granted, inventories are low across the board due to labor shortages and increased popularity of RVing/camping, but I see almost no HTTs.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It's been a year since I searched the 2 main stream manufactures but yes they all had a line still producing HTTs..

3. raising4daughters

I probably should've checked the 2022 online catalogs before asking. I notice Jayco's Jay Feather line for 2022 no longer includes HTTs (like the X19, X23B, etc.). https://www.jayco.com/rvs/travel-trailers/2022-jay-feather/floorplans/

4. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

I believe the FR Roo and Shamrock hybrid lines are still very popular... I frequent the FR forum and many on there are taking delivery of their HTT. Many are buying at RV Wholesalers and others there in OH and MI. Also many are bringing home High Wall pups.

raising4daughters likes this.
  5. raising4daughters

We really like our HW PUP.....got it after 10 years with a smaller 10' box. For our purposes (camping 2 weeks per year, maybe a weekend or two), a PUP is fine, even if a bigger HW, because it enables us to avoid owning a full-size truck or SUV. Still, every time we camp, we look at those with a full-size refrig and outdoor kitchen and can't wait 'til we have more time so we can get one.

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

They build what they can sell that turns the most profit. Right now you have a lot of non knowing folks paying inflated prices for 30 footish stick and tin POS TTs that will not make it until the loans are paid off. Or they're buying the largest 5th wheel or toy hauler they can't really afford, despite never having towed as much as a 8' harbor freight snap together trailer. I followed a guy yesterday who clipped curbs 5 times rounding 5 corners in less than a mile. Wait until the next economic downturn which is right around the corner if its not already here, and see what happens.

Rockwood / Flagstaff reduced the HTT floorplans from @ a dozen 2 years ago to 5. Jayco is out. HTTs cost more to build as they have more parts and pieces requiring more labor which come from the bottom line.

Also most HTTs are fiberglass lam construction. Stick and tin are much faster to slap together with a little Amish spit and some toilet paper

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  7. raising4daughters

If you're right, and I suspect you are, the new-to-RVing buyers are buying some heavy TTs or exceeding their tow capacity. Once you put a single slide on a TT, I'd personally become uncomfortable towing, and I've got 7,000 lbs. towing capacity, not the mere 3,500 or 5,000 that small and mid SUVs have. Heck, I'd be hesitant about towing your 23WS with my Colorado.

Do you think that many new buyers of TTs also have a half-ton truck, Tahoe, or Expedition? Or are the small TTs with no slide the ones in high demand?

I think you nailed it with the cost of production aspects of HTTs and PUPs.....more moving parts, more labor, harder to assemble, probably more to go wrong and service post-sale. Guess we'll all be buying stick-and-tin boxes down the road if we want an RV.

For me personally, this trend is a shame. We stepped into some smaller TTs at our dealer while getting our HW PUP serviced and found them to be incredibly cramped. The slideout makes such a difference. The wife and I would love to be able to stick with a compact truck but get something bigger with a slideout and spacious down the road such as a Jayco X23B. We don't mind sleeping under canvas. Looks like we have to re-think things.