Are pop ups a dying breed?

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
One thing that might be "interesting" so see... Since it seems like a lot of newbies bought their first rig during Covid, a certain number are going to realize it's not really for them. -And then you add the increase in gas prices... It wouldn't surprise me if there's an increase in lightly used rigs on the market in the near-ish future.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
One thing that might be "interesting" so see... Since it seems like a lot of newbies bought their first rig during Covid, a certain number are going to realize it's not really for them. -And then you add the increase in gas prices... It wouldn't surprise me if there's an increase in lightly used rigs on the market in the near-ish future.

We've been predicting this here since 2020. So far it hasn't materialized.

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah, but with as high as gas prices have been this summer it may be pushing some over the edge.

I actually just read some articles about this recently in the media.

Very few are actually selling, most are simply changing their plans to either staying closer to home, or planning less trips but with longer durations in a place.

campfire Joe

Jan 27, 2015
peru new york

Very few are actually selling, most are simply changing their plans to either staying closer to home, or planning less trips but with longer durations in a place.
That's what we are doing this year. Usually do 3 sometimes 4 trips a year. This year 2. Staying 8 or 9 days instead 6 or 7.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

It makes sense. I don't think most people think that gas will be this high forever (even though it may lol). So their first inclination won't be to sell, but to park it, if they are feeling the financial pinch.

But then I just saw a post in a FB group where someone bought a pup earlier this year for $14,500 and already sold it so they could 'upgrade' to a travel trailer. They were happy to have sold it for $10,500. That's a freaking $4000 for a few months of Pup use.

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
It makes sense. I don't think most people think that gas will be this high forever (even though it may lol). So their first inclination won't be to sell, but to park it, if they are feeling the financial pinch.

But then I just saw a post in a FB group where someone bought a pup earlier this year for $14,500 and already sold it so they could 'upgrade' to a travel trailer. They were happy to have sold it for $10,500. That's a freaking $4000 for a few months of Pup use.
Bottom line might be if there is an economic turn-down as well as some talking heads are predicting.

pschmidt64

Jun 8, 2016
Well, we have a travel trailer now. But started in tents, then went to a pop-up and thought I'd always be camping in a pop-up. But hail damaged it and we replaced it w/ a TT. And you know what - it was a nice move. As I get older (almost 60 now) that mattress in the TT is a LOT more comfortable than the thin popup one. And being in Texas, insulated walls have extended our camping season by months. Trying to keep a popup 'cool' w/ AC in early/late summer just doesn't work. But walls...with insulation - what a concept! We camp more in the summer months now b/c of that. (We don't camp middle of summer here - July/Aug - too hot, not really fun when it's 100+ all day). So...I agree, I see less popups than I use to, but as we get older - and keep camping - the move to a TT will keep us camping a lot longer than if we stayed w/ a popup. And I assume it's the same with others. But they're still out there.

Here in Texas it's also a lot harder to find dealers that sell popups anymore. So if they aren't available for sale... When we bought our TT, it quite frankly wasn't that much more than a popup. I was surprised how expensive popups had become. If I can get a TT for almost the same price as a popup (and I have a car that can tow the TT), why would I not get the TT?

Sep 28, 2018
If you want the best of both worlds check out Trailmanor...an all aluminum walled, insulated, pop-up camper. We bought a 2008 model 2916 this spring and love it. It is 29 ft when popped up but 19 ft when down for towing...best of all, stores in our garage. Got rid of our 2001 Coleman Cheyenne canvas popup. Check out this setup video:

Chris I

Sep 2, 2020
Portland, OR
Without going through the entire thread here. How are A-liner pup-up sales doing compared to soft-sided?
I've seen a lot of 2020-2021 Aliners popping up on the used market lately. Could be Covid-era buyer's remorse, but it would seem to indicate that they are still selling well. I see them on nearly every camping trip we go on.

Wander1970

Apr 29, 2022
We are the only popup in some of the camps. We find it amusing just how many owners stop by and ask questions, or comment on our rig. Our HW 296 is really quit large, we get stories of a lot who have graduated up from a PUP, or have fond memories of camping with thier parents in a PUP when children. We also relate that we have owned all sizes of rigs, however as we are Geriatric Juviniles we enjoy our commune with nature much more than the creature comforts. Yes, from time to time we get the rare snob, you know the type, they look at your rig and seem to believe that you are obviously destitute. We always smile, because at our age we know that most things in life are fleeting at best. We sit back in our chairs, drinking a good cup of coffee, or glass of ice tea, waiting for the night sounds to begin. Watch the stars, once it is night, smile to your self and do not worry. Just rest!! See you on the trail.
Knowing what you want out of your life is all that matters. I’m so happy that you have your happiness and joy.

It’s a great reminder of how others continue to be haters through their attitudes of thinking they are better because of their materialistic items and their definition of what constitutes how people should be and have.

We are all blessed in these lives and it’s up to us how we live it.

I choose gratitude and joy.

Take care and happy travels and joys.

BBQdave

Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
Since it seems like a lot of newbies bought their first rig during Covid...
NC State Parks worker here, and I lost count the number of tents, coolers, grills and camp gear abandoned after one night of camping.
We fill a long construction container full of bulk trash, homeless and brought from home bulk trash and camp gear - fill the container weekly.

So I would image folks are going to be selling the "Covid" campers purchased over the past 2 years :)

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Where we camp most of the time i see a few pop ups...Rarely do i see a newer one like ours.
Most are older ones...We do see the ocassional A-Frame pop up....Big TT's are 90% of what we see.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
If you want the best of both worlds check out Trailmanor...an all aluminum walled, insulated, pop-up camper. We bought a 2008 model 2916 this spring and love it. It is 29 ft when popped up but 19 ft when down for towing...best of all, stores in our garage. Got rid of our 2001 Coleman Cheyenne canvas popup. Check out this setup video:

I want a 2720SL, but it's not practical until the boys are out on their own. Seven years and counting.

RedRocksMama

Mar 19, 2022
I grew up in the 70's and 80's with pop-ups (Shasta, then Apache- more of a hard-sided) My dad Kept the Apache from the 80's for over 40 years, and recently sold it- it was still going strong! For us, a pop-up is the only option with our strict HOA regarding R.V.'s, otherwise we would have to store the camper for 100 or more per month (no thanks), and we can fit ours in the garage. I know that Aliner and other hard-sided pop-ups mostly can't keep up with demand I just had to look away from a private RV park in Colorado because they don't allow rigs older than 10 years old, which is just bonkers, especially with most TT manufacturers struggling to keep up with production/ waitlists.

Mausinn

Jun 1, 2017
Washington
Interesting observation about the lack of pups over the years. I'm in the process of donating my 33ft class C to the local public television station, and have retrieved my 17ft. PUP from my son that's been sitting in his garage for the last 3 years. I imagine you'll see more pups in the future due to fuel prices. My Cobra rv gets 9 mpg on a good day, so we now use the pup with the Volvo XC70 and get around 30 mpg. In my area you can't give away a motorhome right now, too much cost.

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Interesting observation about the lack of pups over the years. I'm in the process of donating my 33ft class C to the local public television station, and have retrieved my 17ft. PUP from my son that's been sitting in his garage for the last 3 years. I imagine you'll see more pups in the future due to fuel prices. My Cobra rv gets 9 mpg on a good day, so we now use the pup with the Volvo XC70 and get around 30 mpg. In my area you can't give away a motorhome right now, too much cost.
Agreed. We have not hit the bottom of this economic situation yet. Those 7-10 year payment plans on those big TT, 5th wheels, and the trucks to pull them are gonna fill up the dealer lots before this is over.
Like many others here, I chose a PUP because it fits in the garage and I could afford it.
(And 7-12 mpg would make me cringe.)

Latest posts