Are the cables supposed to look like this?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Our9arefine, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

If you click the link you should be able to see the pics. Are the cables supposed to be twisted? Do they twist when it is cranked?
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157645615404454/

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

NO! its about to break... get it fixed before the roof falls on you... the other pic with twisted ... should change bolts to right place so they do not twist anymore.... DIY or get it in shop...

3. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

Thank you! May I please run this by you? My plan is to support the roof with 4x4s, crank the cable to lower the roof to create slack. Then unscrew the nuts on te eye bolts. Untangle and re screw. Does that sound right?

4. egapylime

egapylime Member

You definitely need a new cable.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

The eye bolts themselves look like they need to be replaced but should be firmly locked in place on the harness square. They don't need to be able to rotate at all and loosening them won't allow that to happen since they'll just bind on the square as the cables twist anyway.

The harness square itself DEFINITELY should be able to rotate as the roof is raised and tension is applied to the cables. In real life, the thrust bearing doesn't usually operate very smoothly. It just allows the harness square to rotate when there's a marked degree of rotational tension on the harness square. Just before the cables start to twist around each other, the harness square spins a bit, the cables straighten out, the cables get more tension in them and start to twist, the harness square spins a bit more, the cables straighten out, etc. It's kind of a herky-jerky deal but the cables should never actually wrap around each other.

The problem you're having is quite common and likely due to a missing, damaged or dry thrust bearing. If the main cable has been replaced, the thrust bearing may have gotten lost and accidentally omitted in reassembly or if it's still there, it could just require cleaning and lubrication. It's a small part and easily lost along with the washers when the main cable snaps.

IMOH, the lift cables connected to the eye bolts don't look bad at all, but the main lift cable is in imminent need of replacement. You can pick up some 5/16" cable, a nice big crimp and make your own cable or you can buy one already made from http://www.popupparts.com. I believe they'll just send you the crimped cable, so you'll still need the harness square you've got.

Instructions and diagrams explaining how to replace the main winch and lift cables are located in the service manual here (don't rely on the part numbers if you're going to a dealer for parts, they've all changed):
    [smg id=2083 type=av]

6. lostpopupidiot

lostpopupidiot New Member

Could you describe how you removed the cover that was covering the cables to access the cables in between the block/eyelets and the first pulley bracket. The cover is a carpeted step. Is it just tacked to the floor and wall or is it screwed into it with the square head screws?

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Your setup sounds different than mine. In my camper, I had to lift up the cushions on the rear bench to access the storage compartment under it then remove some Liam panels from the bottom of the storage compartments to get at the winch and harness block.

At the front of the camper against the bulkhead, a 1" high step covers the cable tracks. That cover had four Robertson drive screws. Two ran through the floor and two went into the bottom of the bulkhead wall.

8. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

Okay, if you can get text pics I can send you a picture. The carpeted step has two screws on the top, one on either side, and two on the bottom. You have to really feel for them. When you unscrew those the step will come off in one piece. Just make sure you undo all screws first so that you don't break the step!

9. lostpopupidiot

Here is my step. You say there are 4 screws holding it on???
    [​IMG]

Judging by my cables and block I would think I have the same issue as you would you say?
    [​IMG]

10. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

That actually is identical to mine, even down to the color and the linoleum!

11. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

The step is screwed to a one by one on the top and one on the bottom.

12. lostpopupidiot

Thanks. I will remove it tomorrow and see what I can do about untwisting my cables. Have you got your cables untwisted yet??? How hard was it if so? Opens and shuts smoothly now? My bracket was pretty bent up as well beside the refrigerator. You might double check yours there too.

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The steps are usually screwed down . You will need a #1 square screwdriver bit. Carpet may be stapled, it was added.

14. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

I haven't messed with them yet. I am waiting until the hubby gets back. So we will do it tonight. I think it is a two person job only because I am concerned with the roof collapsing. We also have to replace the bushings on the side arms and I was hoping we could do that at the same time, but they haven't arrived yet.
    And yes, you need a 1 square bit to remove, although some of my tamper proofs were able to come off with a Philips.

15. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

I had this happen on my StarCraft while we were camping. I cobbled it together until we got home so the trip was not ruined

16. lostpopupidiot

I have it all repaired and it raises and lowers with EASE now! First I got it raised all the way up and braced all four corners with 2X4. Bought 8 ft sticks from home depot measured and cut them all. There was only a difference of 3/4 inch between any of them. All pretty level to begin with.
    [​IMG]

I then lowered the crank and got slack in all of the cables as the roof was supported by the 2X4's. One cable was jammed into the the pulley as it slipped off. I was able to unjam the cable and get it back onto the pulley. With the slack in the cables I was able to untangle all the lines. I lubricated EVERYTHING with silicone lube in an aerosol can. I had a friend then raise the camper as I stayed inside to make sure the cable did not re-tangle until there was tension back on the lines. Once there was tension back in the lines I was back in operation. Just make sure to really lubricate the thrust bearing very good to ensure the cables do not tangle again.

Repaired

[​IMG]

17. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Great .......

18. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

So, finally got around to replacing the main cable. Thanks for the awesome instructions! The needle bearing is broken, that would explain the twisted cables! I am going to call around tomorrow and hope I find one local so we can take her out on her maiden voyage Saturday! Wish me luck and Godspeed! ;)

19. jab2181

jab2181 Member

so have you had anymore twisting problems?

20. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Lost....that one eye bolt still looks pretty bent. You may as well replace that while it's exposed!!

[:D]