Are there any work campers out there?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Melissa Freeman, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Melissa Freeman

Melissa Freeman New Member

Is there anyone on this site who is/has work camped? If so, how was your experience?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I don't ...... I think the internet connection is the biggest roadblock. Solve that problem and it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't rely on the campground WiFi as it usually slows way down the more the users.

3. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

You mean working “from home” while in a camper? I have - in places I can rely on my cell phone’s mobile connection.

but my big PUP is pretty well set up as a home office anyways- I use it as such when parked next to the house.

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Doing your job while camping or being a "workamper"?

Melissa Freeman likes this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

For a couple years I worked remote for a week during the summer while my son attended a day camp in Austin. In order to make that work I had to rely on my cell phone as a hotspot, bought extra padding for the dinette to sit on (spend a couple hours sitting on one and you'll find out too!), added reflectix to multiple windows and pugs for the bunks/dinette to help with heat transfer, several fans to circulate the air and a well functioning A/C. It was way too hot to work outside, but this saved me from using a week of vacation each year. In the morning I would spend some time outside in the hammock until it got too hot, and some years I had little to no shade which made it worse.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have brought my work computer camping on oçcationally. The campground wifi (if any) I find is pretty unreliable so I had to rely on a hot spot on my phone. Hot Spot can only work if you have cell service. 90% of where I like to camp has spotty cell coverage. The one time I really had to work I found the only place I had cell coverage enough for my hotspot was beside the camp store on a hill. Thankfully they had an outside outlet I used to keep the phone charged and sat on the ground to work. If my camp site was on the hill vrs the gully it would have worked way easier but those were prime spots and all reserved. If you know where you go has great cell coverage from your campsite than you shouldn't have too many problems. My table in the camper is
    wicked uncomfortable so not sure how long I could work there. Then again due to COVID I've had to sit on my kitchen chair to work so anything will beat that.

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

"Worked" for the Army years ago & camped for free all over the world w/ spartan equipment & got underpaid for it; experience was wonderful, got out w/ a broken body & mentally deranged...wife brought her office home 3.5 months ago, & if our parks had wifi, we'd camp for a week--2 weeks at a time; much of her time is spent in cyber meetings or telecoms, so it would work great for us...

Melissa Freeman and Tom Jordan like this.
  8. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

I thought the OP was referring to working as a camp host or volunteer, in which case my answer is “no”.

But I am always working part time while camping In the summer. In the past few years (but not this year) we camp one week in spring and once in fall just down the road from our house, while still driving in to work. Hotspot and cell service is critical, but I can usually get by with some short term (hour per day) access, and the rest while offline.

Orchid likes this.
  9. Melissa Freeman

It could be camp hosting. Harvesting beets and potatoes in Wyoming and the Dakotas, amusement parks.We're going to be traveling full time and there's a myriad of jobs out there that supply your camping arrangements. Amazon, for instance, will buy a campground or even buy land and make their own campground and hire work campers to work in their facility for $18 hr. plus your camping and use of camping facilities, ie..laundry, bathrooms, etc.

Amybejo and Rik Peery like this.
  10. Melissa Freeman

It could be camp hosting. Harvesting beets and potatoes in Wyoming and the Dakotas, amusement parks.We're going to be traveling full time and there's a myriad of jobs out there that supply your camping arrangements. Amazon, for instance, will buy a campground or even buy land and make their own campground and hire work campers to work in their facility for $18 hr. plus your camping and use of camping facilities, ie..laundry, bathrooms,

11. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Amazon has three or four dost. Centers in KC area including a massive warehouse down the road from our house but no campground.

13. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I'm able to work wherever I have Internet, and have on a few occasions mixed work with camping. It turns out fine (for me) so long as I'm able to avoid the "I'm bored, what can we do" interruptions from the kids. So if I'm able to plan out activities for them, then yes, I can get work done. On the couple of occasions I've done it, I don't shoot for a full 8-hour day.

It's easy to pick campgrounds that have wifi. And it's a good idea to be sure your phone supports tethering just in case, and that the tethering will work where you're camping. Mobile hotspots are equivalent to tethering, and can be a viable option as well. If I know I'm going to be tethered I inform people that I won't be taking meetings over video. Google Meet, for example, has a phone-in number that can be used as an alternative to consuming Internet bandwidth. You'll need enough power to keep your laptop running, of course. And I have a 15" USB-C powered portable monitor that fits into my laptop backpack (my type of work is easier to get done with ample screen space).

So yes, it can work. I've camp-worked, and travel-worked. One time I even was out of the country for a month, travel-working. Again, the hardest part is usually keeping the family engaged in interesting things so that I have the time to get some work done.

On the other hand, I prefer letting work be work and vacation be vacation. My company has a very liberal vacation policy that is more restrictive on number of consecutive days than it is on total number of days. So sometimes I'll take time off, then work a few days, then follow it up with a little more time off, to keep the "consecutive days" clock where it needs to be (more than two consecutive weeks requires special approval, but as long as deadlines are met, total days off are not metered at my company).

14. Melissa Freeman

Look at the map on the link Tom provided.

kcsa75 likes this.
  15. Melissa Freeman

Workamper

16. Melissa Freeman

17. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

We did work camp for several years, with very mixed results. If the compensation includes dollars, that can present income tax problems in the state you short term worked in, as well as your home state in some instances. Sometimes, the comp. is lot rent, propane, electric, laundry and a camp store discount. Duties usually include bathroom cleaning, clubhouse, cabin cleaning, swimming pool, hot tub cleaning, lawn mowing, landscaping, office and store work, firepit cleaning, and what ever else needs to be done. One campground we worked at, got me trained, tested and lic. to dispense propane. All of the above apply mainly to private campgrounds, National and State Parks usually have full time staff, for the work and volunteer hosts have much lighter duties. Some of the owners, managers were great, lots of time off to visit local attractions, weekly campfires with cookouts, maybe a paid trip to a local restaurant, season end bonus and other perks. Some others were the worst ever bosses. Phone interviews filled with lies, about what the job required, the compensation, cheating on hours or pay. Once we found a great one, and contracted to return the following year, only to find the park had a new owner, and everything changed. I hope this long post answered some of your questions, will be happy to reply to further questions.

18. soflopopup

soflopopup Member

I have not yet 'work camped', but it there is a good possibility I would in the future. I see many different versions of what you all think it means, for me it would mean I camped at my work site in the keys or everglades rather than having to commute 2-3 hours one way!

19. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I lived in my Pup for 2.5 months when I first moved to Montana. As a department manager for a hospital, I'm on-call 24/7 for my staff. Camp fees were paid for by my employer, as was travel back to see my family until they could move out here permanently. I had T-Mobile at the time, so coverage was spotty, at best. If it wasn't for the campground WiFi and internet calling on my plan, I would have been hosed.