Are these adapters all the same?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Nlittle, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Nlittle

Nlittle New Member

Hello,
    Can't camp so have to plan!

I have a quick connect low pressure connector outside of my pup for the stove/ grill. I often use a camp stove next to it that uses 1lb tanks. I want to be able to use them both off the large tank.
    From what I have read so far I am pretty sure I CANNOT split the quick connect that is already there because the camp stove wants high pressure. (right?)
    I can however T off of the large propane tank up front.
    I found these that all "look" the same but the costs are different.

http://www.propaneproducts.com/rv-camper-grill-lantern-connection.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59103-Propane-Brass-Port/dp/B0014JKDB2/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stay-flow-plus/24020

Assuming the length is fine (need to measure) would all of these work?

2. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

4. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

?

5. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Sorry I got caught up in work. I want to do the same thing withy outside connection but face the same challenges as you with Coleman stove requiring HP. I have a tee for the bottle one to connect to the second tank and regulator but have yet to purchase a hose to run the length of where I am using my stove or grill. It is an expensive hose.

6. Nlittle

Nlittle New Member

7. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

It is not that simple. I have gone through hell trying to connect my Coleman 2-burner stove with a 10-lb propane tank. (Works flawlessly with the 1-lb cylinder) All fittings were perfect, but no gas coming through, or if it did once in a while the flame went out if I used both burners at the same time and I was unable to start again. There were all kinds of theories - valve must be opened slowly, air lock in line, etc. It was the regulator for the Coleman stove somehow incompatible with anything other than a 1-lb cylinder. I had to cannibalize a different stove for it's regulator and now it is working nicely. Hope you don't run into this problem.

8. Nlittle

Nlittle New Member

What do you mean here? At the stove side itself? Can you post a picture? Maybe keep using small tanks? LOL
    It really seems like this should be something that just works with the right connections.

9. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

That's interesting because I've never had a problem using my Coleman distribution tree. I was just hoping I could use the camper as the tree instead.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_26061_-1__?N=129184655&affcode=42&kwid=ps_cse&cid=PLA_000695411&affcode=42&kwid=ps_cse&cid=PLA_000695411&gclid=CILf7u6JwcECFcpzMgodABYAOw

We used these things all the time in scouts. It was nice to have your lantern above you while you're cooking, plus the bottle makes a nice anchor to keep the whole setup upright.

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

You can't fuel a camp stove or grill using the RV quick connect because it already has one regulator on it and doesn't supply enough pressure to operate a second regulator.

If you have the right fittings, you might be able to replace the grill's regulator with one of these low pressure conversion valves (or the kit with extension hose) from Camco.

[​IMG]
    http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?prodID=10715#.VEgPdRZEvng

Bear in mind that you may have to swap out the male quick connect fitting(s) to be able to use your camper's female fitting as there are two types of quick-connect fitting. One has a cross inside (common on older RV's), the other (newer and aftermarket) doesn't. Your RV dealer can help you figure out which fitting you need to be able to make it work.

Alternatively, what you're looking at is a splitter that attaches directly to the tank. I sure love mine and use it all the time.

[​IMG]
    Mod thread here: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=74552

11. swordfish

This is a Coleman stove with it's stock regulator. Great for the 1-lb canister.
    [​IMG]

I had to use the regulator from Primus Gour-Mate stove and discard the Coleman regulator.
    [​IMG]

This works flawlessly directly from a 10-lb or 20-lb tank; not via quick connect to the low pressure line.
    Please note that the Coleman regulator was not defective. It was just not working with a tank. The part goes into the Coleman stove was still a Coleman part because the Primus stove fitting does not fit the Coleman stove.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Awww, the good ole days when a Coleman trailer came with a Coleman stove.

[​IMG]

13. swordfish

14. Islandwoman20

Islandwoman20 New Member

As a notorious overpacker, my goal this year is bring less stuff, including the extra propane tank I lug around from my days of tenting. I'm looking to hook up my bbq grill to my popup's propane tank. Thanks for making this post!

15. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'