Are we crazy

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by kacz7895, Oct 17, 2010.

Would you camp over x mas

Poll closed Oct 27, 2010.
  1. yes

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. no

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. kacz7895

kacz7895 New Member

Me and my wife just bought a 2005 fleetwood scorpion camper with the money we were going to use to take a cruise over x mas break. And know we want to take a camping trip over x mas holiday. Here are a few questions for you all before we jump head first into this.

I dont get back from being away till end of november havnt seen camper only wife has do you think I could get everything ready for camping by x mas will have lots of time off between those times. I have camped alot but only tent camped??

Are there any good camp sites in Tampa, FL???

Are we crazy for wanting to camp over xmas kids are 12 and 16 and we wernt going to get them anything anyway if we went on the cruise???

Would you camp over xmas???

2. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

I dont think so. Christmas is time to be with family. If the whole family wants to try something different and it will make it a Christmas to remember. You going to have a small tree with the gifts.

3. carolsaucier

carolsaucier just the 2 of us

Hillsborough River State Park is a neat place to stay near Tampa.

4. jkpluvspups

jkpluvspups Scorpion Tower

Do it over X mas is a family decision, pop the camper up and spend a night in it, see if its something you all like, do you have the screen room with yours, if so that gives you a nice area to set up for x mas morning too, no chimney for Santa though.

Sure just go over the basics with the scorpion,
    Tires- inspect and check pressures, every time you stop touch them and the bearings caps to check for heat, a little warm is normal but really hot might have an issue after a long jaunt.
    Bearings refresh them, you should have the bearing buddies so its a piece of cake.

Other than that you will have a lot of fun with it, especially the deck (even more with the screen room) hanging out off the ground is better since bugs tend to fly close to the ground, on the deck your up out off their direct radar, When I was first told this by the original owner who we purchased our Scorpion from, I was skeptical, but it really seems to be true.

Take Care
    John

5. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

I say, go for it! We've camped over Easter, New Year's, and Thanksgiving. And one year we had to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in a motel room when our boys were 8,10, and 11 (we were in the process of moving and everything was in transit). I got a small 3 foot tree and decorated it and that was our Christmas! They didn't seem to mind and the important thing was we were all together and we made the best of it.
    Your kids are older, and I think it would be fun. Maybe everyone could choose a new gift to give for the new camper!

6. NanaNPots

NanaNPots Member

We have camped the last two Christmases and have reservations for this Christmas, too. We set up on the 23rd and leave around the 28th, and love it. We are raising our grandson who is now four and he thinks this is normal! We set up a small tree in the camper, and Santa brings a few things there and leaves a note that a few more are left at the house, so DGS gets a bonus in the deal. We live in SC and go to Hunting Island SP. it is usually full the week between Christmas and New Years, but more coming in on Christmas afternoon or the next day rather than doing like we do and spend Christmas there. it is wonderful and we love it. But we camp most holidays, and lots in between.

7. sehuff903

sehuff903 1985 Palomino MXL

We live in Texas close to DW's family and when we get a chance to go back to Mississippi to see my family we will most likely do a little driveway camping at my sister's, but we are not ruling out any state or national parks between Yazoo City and Braxton since I have family all along Hwy 49.

8. kacz7895

kacz7895 New Member

Thank you very much for all the comments. This is still in the very very early planning stages.

jkpluvspups
    It does have the screen room on it. The wife really likes it. I like it too just havnt seen it yet except in pictures. have you done any mods to yours

9. ranger guy

ranger guy New Member

yes but not in a pop up to hard to keep warm even with electric heaters and furnace and the days are short and the nights are long we camped out last week for 4 days in our new travel trailer after trading in are pop up so we could have a longer camping season the weather was wet and windy not that cold we had lots to "drink" and it took us 2 days after getting back home to get the chill off and we had a small cabin that we all spent most of the time in with a wood stove and tv there was about 15 families and only 3 in pop ups we all had a good time it was a thanksgiving and halloween weekend lots of decoration and costums !! happy camping and good luck!

10. CampingGators

CampingGators Awaiting the day...

December weather is beautiful here in Florida. Your kids are past the Santa stage, so I think camping would be an excellent way to spend Christmas. You will be building memories which will last a life time! What are the chances they will remember Christmas at home, if that is the norm for you? Christmas is a day spent with family and loved ones, and camping provides a captive audiance. Plan a more simple menu, but keep some aspects of your usual Christmas dinner. Decorate with Christmas tacky lights and other decorations. It does not have to be just a tree. Put up decorations around the campsite, in addition to the inside. Make it festive for your family and for the others who are spending Christmas in the campground too. You may even want to think of ways of spreading Christmas cheer to your camping neighbors! Bring home baked cookies, fudge, popcorn, or whatever. Most of all, have fun! And, remember the reason for the season...

11. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

We have done it before, even before we had a pop up.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I voted yes, even though we've never managed to go in mid-winter.

Only you can answer whether your family is ready for that type of vacation.

As for the pup, I wouldn't do the trip unless there has been time to set it up at home and go through all the systems, etc. That lessens the possibility of a surprise repair or problem. For us, we also would probably only go in that time-frame if we could get reservations, or had some other assurance of a spot to camp.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Well, first of all I voted no because it's just to cold up here in the winter and the DW would not like it. Second, it's a time to be with family and friends and to tell you the truth camping and having family over in a pup just is not comfortable in my eyes!!!

14. huizarr

huizarr Member

Last year we took our new to us popup out for the first time X-mas weekend. It was cold for South Texas (Lows in the mid 20's and Highs in the upper 50's). But the furnace worked great.

We are planning to go again this year.

15. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

IMO, as long as the kids are for it, then go for it. We have camped on Xmas and Easter, and we will be camping on Thanksgiving next month. Our kids are 10 and 14 and they always have fun.

16. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

Yes, go for it. I can tell you . "WE ARE"
    We have two children (6 and 10) and we are camping Christmas and New Years in Ft. Wilderness Disney, FL. We are still deciding on how to deal with the Santa Clause thing as they both still beleive (we think). But for sure we are looking forwards to this camping,,, as we know it will be the most memorable in their short life.

17. David in MI

David in MI New Member

I voted yes - I'd be happy to camp in a southern climate with reasonable weather. I don't actually camp at Christmas because we usually have a foot or so of snow [;)]

18. ndpap

ndpap New Member

Yes for me too!...I would do it if I lived in a warmer climate!!!

19. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I say yes, camp at Christmas if that's your desire, and have a great time!

I voted yes I would, Emily however would not, way too cold here in New Hampshire, so my chances of actually camping on Christmas are rather slim at this time. And it's not so much the sleeping in the popup, we have the Big Buddy heater so I think we'd stay warm at night. I think it's the cold of being outside all day, that would put the chill through your body that you might find you just cannot shake off.

I remember being a kid about 13 and camping on snow covered ground in February, was a Boy Scout thing, must have been 300 kids there, all in tents. We all put down about an inch of newspaper and cardboard under our sleeping bags to insulate us from the snow under the tents. We did lots of activities all weekend long to keep warm during the day, fires were not allowed to go out all weekend long. I think about it right now and feel bad for the grownups, as I don't believe I would even consider doing such a thing at my age now.

20. camping_girl

camping_girl New Member

I think it depends on what your kids think. Did they know about the cruise? Are they disappointed you are not going? Are they upset you got the pup? Do they like camping? Your kids are old enough to have some input - they may resent it if they don't have any.