"Are we there yet?" Our solution worked.

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jtuc1, Nov 15, 2011.

1. jtuc1

jtuc1 Northeast Alabama

A few years back we went on a family vacation to Walt Disney world in Florida. My wife came up with a marvelous idea to keep us from hearing the old "are we there yet, and how much further" questions all the way there. Before the trip, she went to the bank and got $40 in one dollar bills. She put 20 under each sun visor in view of the kids (we have 2). She told them that each time they asked any question like are we there yet or how much further, she would remove one dollar and put it into her pocket. When we arrived, any money left in the sun visor belonged to the child. It worked like a charm, each child got $20 spending money when we arrived!

2. scorp28

scorp28 Member

Nice solution. On my last long distance trip with my daughter and her friend I chose to go with loading up the vehicle then getting a few hours of sleep and leaving at about 12:30 in the morning. It let them sleep all the way through the 7-7.5 hour trip. It also has the added benefits of having less traffic to deal with, being able to arrive early and begin the vacation instead of getting there in the afternoon, and if you plan the time you leave well enough you can miss all the extra rush hour traffic if you have to go through any metropolitan areas.

3. GaryS

GaryS New Member

Our solution was to give our son an old road atlas and a colored pencil so that he could track our journey. Every once in awhile my wife would ask:'Okay, where are we?" :)

Of course that was a long time ago as he graduated from college last May. (One of his graduation presents was a Garmin 255W.) [:D]

4. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Both idea are good my son would do the map and 2 D would watch a move.

5. basspaul

basspaul Member

nice idea, but it would cost me a fortune here in Canada as our smallest bill a $5 [:D]

Squeeker likes this.
  6. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

All good idea's
    watching the world go by. Count Trucks, License Plates VW's, ETC we never had videos, IPods, DVD's

7. gojeepgo

gojeepgo New Member

JTUC1-- Great idea! I just read your post to my wife and she likes it too. We are planning a trip to Disney next summer with the camper and will remember this tip for sure. My son (8) will have 20 bucks when we get there and my daughter (5) will loose all of her cash before we leave the state!

8. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

Our 3 yr old would probably end up 50 bucks in the red. [8D]

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL] Girls should start with more because we females have a daily word quota to meet. We can't help it, we're born that way.

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

So get a stack of loonies...it will be even more dramatic watching the stack get shorter... [;)]

11. jmcdtucson

jmcdtucson New Member

Our kids would spend the whole trip trying to find lawyerly ways to get the same information without asking the forbidden questions. [8D]

12. cmoore13

cmoore13 New Member

2 words... Duct Tape

13. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

My daughter found a loophole one time. She was 3. I had told them we would be there at, say, 5:30. She kept asking how long until 5:30 or when would 5:30 be. I told her if she asked when we would be there or how long until 5:30 again, that she would not get any souvenirs. Well, a little be longer and she says, "Mom, how long until.....the clock says those numbers you said." LOL

Now, I am glad that they can read the GPS and see for themselves.

Before the trip, they are required to pack their own activities. We go online and print pages to do, etc. We love the twistable crayons because they do not melt in a hot car. Now, they have a DVD player, iPod touches, and DS's. LOL

On a recent trip, my 12yo got to ride in the front seat for the first time. He finally noticed how beautiful the landscape was. He was amazed.

14. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

We have a cheaper solution called "Car, Truck or Van". With three kids, each child is assigned with a specific vehicle and count them on the journey. Whoever wins gets to pick the first camp meal.

15. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

LMAO [:D] [LOL]

16. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

This is a great idea for those long road trips. Thanks.

17. subvet661

subvet661 New Member

When we go on long (multi-state) trips, my DW gets little dollar-store type gifts (coloring book, travel game, candy etc) and every time we enter a new state they get to open the present.

18. huizarr

huizarr Member

Our Expedition has the entertainment system with wireless headphones. I made sure each girl had a set of headphones and switched the system to use them. They were quiet for hours just watching their movies. It was nice.

19. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

We have a portable DVD system with 2 screens that attaches to the headrests of the car. Each of the kids also have an iPod to listen to. For the big trips, it doesn't hurt that we usually leave after I get home from work so they go to sleep for at least some of the first part of the trip.

20. papachaz

papachaz New Member

i'm with Scorp! when our DD's were still with us and we had to plan a trip. we would always leave late evening or middle of the night. let em sleep through it was always the easiest.

we played the typical games too though, mostly the abc game using the first letter of words on trucks or signs, or license plates. one time we were playing the 'i spy with my eye something ________(insert color)' one of the friends of youngest DD picked white and NO ONE could get it and win to be next. after we all gave up, she announced it was my hair......time to change games! [:!] [LOL]