Are Yeti Coolers worth the $$$

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by wiseman324, Apr 24, 2013.

1. wiseman324

wiseman324 New Member

Good to know Im not the only one with sticker shock. I think I will just give the coleman 5-day a try. We mostly use the pup for biker rallies anyways and they are never over 3 days long, I dont see a need in my immediate future to keep ice for 10 days. Thanks everyone!

2. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

My Coleman extreme keeps ice in it for 4days or more no problem. I've brought it home and there was still ice cold water and ice in it after 6 days!

Walmart, 50 dollars, done.

3. adirondackcamper

adirondackcamper Member

Stick with the Colman extreme 5 day and spend the cash on other camping goodies... unless you've got cash to burn... if so consider sharing with your camping family [:D] just my [2C]

4. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Mrs Mosbyranger just bought a Yeti. She plans on using it for her river rafting expeditions. Just right now it occupies space in the basement, I'll give a report after it gets a field test, then try it out at the Co rally.
    MR

5. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

One other thing I like about my Coleman is leaving it outside without feeling the need to chain it to the bumper...

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

You know, I looked at the Yeti and similar...whew, chaa chinggg and I just couldn't justify it.

Igloo Glide PRO Cooler (110-Quart, White) Found it on a store shelf next to a similar size Coleman extreme. While this cooler had only a very minimal smaller interior volume than the Coleman, (due to wheels) it made up for this in a superior lid seal. Such a seal is what I look for when I buy a cooler (and I look veeerrrry closely) and when you look at the Coleman, it is not ideal on the ends. If you look closely as you close the lid on the Coleman you can see the air gap that is still there when closed. Air gap means air leak and my cold getting away. All three of the Colemans on the shelf were this way and the seal on the Igloo was much smarter in design shape and complete seal. When you shut the Igloo that puppy is shut solid all the way around. I really like it and look for yourself if you can and you will see exactly what I mean.

The tow handle construction feels solid and what a handy thing it is. When this cooler is loaded full it is very heavy and extending the handle, rolling it out to the truck from the house fridge is a breeze, but get help lifting it into the truck unless you are a power lifter LOL

Wheels appear solid and time will tell on them. The rubber on the handle isn't the greatest as mine is already ripping after only one camping trip. Two adults and no, we didn't abuse it, rubber is just flimsy and a poor choice, easy fix though.

I was real pleased with how the ice held up in this. I make a couple of 1 gallon milk jug ice cubes with added canning salt then I add some neat water tight plastic parts containers that cover the floor of the cooler. I get dry ice, cut it with a coping saw to two inch slivers and put this in the containers. The dry ice is damn cold of course and lasts for days. In fact, I have to be careful with the dry ice cause chit freezes LOL This held up in periods of sun for three and a half days and when we got home the ice was still there and keeping things cold. Real happy with that.

For added protection, I have covered the top with reflectix, seams to have helped the ice even more. I highly recommend the Igloo

7. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I don't personally own pelican however I can vouch that they are very well made and durable. We use them at work all the time and they take all the abuse you can dish out. Heavy on the other had but tough.

8. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

Well, fridge has been out since Friday, and our new one won't be here till this coming Friday. We are using the little fridge in the Pup and two Coleman Extreme coolers. The Coleman's are working great. Only put ice in twice. The first batch Friday, and some more tonight to keep them pretty full of ice.

For recreational use, I can't see any reason to buy anything else. I'd have to destroy several coolers to make up for the cost difference in a Yeti. I have a standard Coleman that I have had for 20 years and it still works well too.

9. rOjO

rOjO New Member

I have a large Yeti, and this is exactly what I do. Much of my camping is in remote backcountry far from sources of ice. If I am going to be out in such a location for more than a weekend, I fill the Yeti with 10lb bags of ice. For extended trips, I will even put a couple bricks of dry ice in the top rack, which will keep the regular ice completely frozen for the first couple days, after which the Yeti will do what it does best as long as the lid isn't being opened many times a day every day (which negates much of the advantage of the Yeti). The ice in the Yeti is used to replenish the "other" cooler.

If I had it to do over again, I would consider one of the less expensive Yeti equivalents. But as it is, I expect the Yeti to outlive me. I will probably leave it to someone in my will! :)

As for the "other" cooler, I currently have a cheap-o Igloo which is badly in need of replacement. I will take a look at these Coleman Extreme coolers people have been discussing...

10. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Sometime last year there was a show on one of the outdoor channels that did a test on coolers with Yeti being one of them. Can't remember the particulars, but Yeti did not come out on top. I wll do a search and see if can find it on the net. We just recently got the 5 day Coleman Extreme and it stood up in 90+ degrees and still had ice after our 4 day trip. I could never justify paying that much for a cooler. Some don't pay that much for a pup [;)]

11. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

12. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

With these new companies producing rotomolded coolers the prices are coming down. Check out this cooler: http://www.k2-coolers.com/

13. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I have a yeti and they are top of the line. I got it for my paddleboard so I can sit on it or stand on it and fish. You can put a small bag of ice in it with a couple of tablespoons of rock salt like what you use to make ice cream and in a half hour you will have slushy drinks. there will be no water in it at the end of the day no matter how hot it gets. the cooler I have weighs 17lbs by itself and cost $300. It locks and has straps to hold it on my board. It is unbelievable!![​IMG][/URL][/img]

14. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

[​IMG] sorry , didnt get the pic the first time. [:D]

15. rsb201

rsb201 New Member

I have the YETI 50. The MSRP was $389. I won it on a $10 raffle ticket back in the spring. I commented on a previous post of how well it did, but that was before it was 90 deg out!! I used it for an annual spring turkey hunt where I camped for 4 days and it held ice very well. Did not have to add any ice and was very impressed. But now that its summer and the temps are up, I wouldn't give $10 for it. Very disappointed to say the least. I have a$15 Dollar General cooler that holds ice just as well and it has wheels!! I have read there are ways to properly pack a cooler to maintain your ice better. I am obviously not loading it properly!!! The YETI is very well built and quite rugged for sure. If you have the drain open on the bottom you cant even raise the lid because of the tight seal they have which creates quite a vacuum, so they are quality for sure, just not worth the money in my opinion.

16. pete1979

pete1979 New Member

I thought about buying a Yeti, however couldn't afford to take out a loan on a cooler.

Check out this link: High End Cooler Test by SportsmanGuys.comâ„¢ -

This may help you decide as they compare several high end coolers and show the options. Personally for the money I use a Coleman extreme cooler and it works great for what I need. I have a friend who has a smaller Yeti and he loves it, however it is so big it rides around in his truck bed. Thus, when he goes into a store etc. and leaves it in plain sight he worries about someone stealing it so u may consider that too.

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I was thinking about either the Yeti or Pelican when our Coleman wears out; the current one is about 15 years old and is beginning to show wear that cannot be fixed with new hinges or latch. I saw both at our local Sportsman's Warehouse, and found really good prices on the Pelican on Amazon. However, DH nixed the idea due to weight and space considerations. I can't pick up the Coleman once it is loaded, so that is already part of my routine; I can pack it in the TV, and turn it to drain as needed. Our extra foam padding and Reflectix cover have made a huge difference, so I guess we'll be buying a new Coleman when I find a really good sale. [the PUGs cover worked well too, but when we needed a second I made the Reflextix one]

18. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

I have owned many types of coolers of shapes and sizes. What I currently own is a 2 coleman Extremes and a 65 qt Yeti. I've had the extremes for about 5 years and they are really showing there wear and tear on them. They worked really good for about one and half years and then they seemed to loose the ability to keep ice. I got a Yeti for a birthday present and use it for absolutely everything. Offshore fishing, hunting, camping, floating the river, etc.... If you throw in some ice the night before and bring it inside from the garage or heat, it will hold ice for days on end. I've used the heck out of the ice chest, but take care of it, such as cleaning it ASAP after using and drying it out, and it is in great condition. I probably won't need to replace this ice chest for 10+ years. I've left ice in it for a week in the garage in Central Texas with 100+ degree heat and it kept ice for 4 days. There are definitely cheaper options and it's your money so do what you think is best. I Love my Yeti and will more than likely get another when my other 2 coleman extreme's bite the dust. just my [2C]

19. vanjr

vanjr New Member

We can never get our fridge to work. Used a discount to get a yeti and use it as our fridge for a long trip this summer. Most of my other coolers tear up in a year or two. I hope the yeti lasts as advertised. If not I ain't buyin' another!

20. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

The May 2014 issue of Saltwater Sportsman has a good article about rotomolded coolers. Included is a chart which I will try and give some of the info:

ICON 60 60qt 2" insulation 22lb $229 3 yr warranty
    ENGEL DEEP BLUE 65 65qt 2" 28 340 3 yr
    PELICAN 65 ELITE 65qt 2" 48 360 Lifetime
    IGLOO YUKON COLD LOCKER 70 70 2-3" 34 390 5yrs
    K-2 SUMMITT 70 70 3"+ 35 349 7yrs
    GRIZZLY MARINE 75 75 2.5" 32 430 Lifetime
    ORCA 75 75 2.25-3" 35 460 Lifetime
    YETI 75 74.8 2-3" 30 450 5YRS

What I find interesting is the difference in weights of comparable size coolers with the same thickness of insulation ie ENGELvs PELICAN. Obvious reason to me would be density of insulation and or thickness of plastic. PELICAN has a lifetime warranty also. I would say if you wanted a 60/65 and had a limited budget then the ICON might be something to buy but the PELICAN is the best. Of the 70/75 I would think the K2 is a best buy. You could almost buy two of the ICONs for the cost of an ORCA or YETI

BTW, I just checked a 90qt ICON is only $330.