Are you camping this weekend?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by PopUpSteve, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yea, they go in cycles. Some used to say the winter would be messured by the acorn size. I had a tree over my driveway in nj. Mostly not an issue. One year it dented the crap out of my new car. Next year, no more tree. I figure about every 15 years or so they get giant acorns. Had the tree for like 40 years. I will never have another one on my property. At leat not near my house , cars, driveway of kids.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Oh, almost forgot, disney in 2 weeks!!!! Longest trip for me ever, distance and time wize. So , 1300 or so miles one way, and about 17 days total. And with the new TT. Wish me luck, lol. I hop i dont need it!

neighbormike likes this.
  3. fredhead

fredhead Member

First trip in our new (used) PuP!!! Going to North Landing Beach campground in the extreme southern end of Virginia Beach. I have the grub all bought and the Dutch Ovens packed, I'm going to do some COOKING! We were going to enjoy the nearby outdoor shooting range, but I found that their pistol range is closed. We'll have a good time, forecast high temps low to mid 70's, little chance of rain. We've been wanting this for a long time.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

@kitphantom and @Sjm9911 — the chestnut oaks around FAR Manor have a 2-year cycle. One year, some acorns. The next, a TON.

I've read somewhere that if you shell the acorns, stuff them in a T-shirt, and drop it in a creek for two days, it rinses out the tannic acid and you can make flour from them. I keep saying I'm gonna do that… and now I need to hop over to the cooking forum to see if anyone has made bread in a Dutch Oven on a campout.

Pommom70 and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

@FARfetched I have made bread in a Dutch oven while camping.

FARfetched likes this.
  6. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Yes, Yes I am!