Are you really ready to change a flat tire??

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by cabranch47, Aug 26, 2019.

1. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

We were on I-55 and had a blow out on my Flagstaff HW27SC. I had a 4 ton bottle jack and had thrown in a 4 ton scissors jack at the last minute before we left. I also carry about 8 pieces of 3/4" plywood about 6" X 6". Well the bottle jack was too high to fit under the axle behind the tire and I could not operate the scissors jack in a very awkward position. I had to put the bottle jack under the frame behind the tire but it did not have enough lift, so the scissors jack went under the frame before the tire to get high enough to change the tire. The ground was soft and I used all of my plywood squares. My sockets were too shallow to remove the nuts holding the spare tire to the mount but I made do with an an adjustable wrench. All very exciting on the edge of the interstate with the trailer rocking with each passing vehicle. Just glad it was not on the driver's side as there was no room to pull any further off the highway and I would have been in the roadway. I will be replacing my jacks with a 4 ton hydraulic floor jack and a piece of 3/4" plywood maybe 30" X 10" for it to ride on. A little extra weight and room but well worth it if needed. I think that jacking it up were I had to may have bowed the frame somewhat as the top pins in my slide no longer line up as they should. Will have to work on that. Just saying to be sure that you are well prepared for this type of issue as it could be life threatening in certain situations.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just my personal opinion: drive off the interstate. The blow out tire is no good anyway and if you ruin the rim buy a tire and rim combo and save your life.

3. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

That would have been an option but it was about 30 miles until the next exit on a Sunday afternoon. Luckily I found good tires at Walmart and replaced them. They had no wheels.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I also found my truck jack was inadequate when I broke a right rear belt on the old 1997 F150. Jack had a 6" stroke, which was just enough to start lifting the truck. Thankfully, an older gentleman dropped by with a bottle jack that had an 8" stroke. That was enough for me to get the tire off and put the 22 year old spare on. I now have a double ram 8 ton bottle jack, with a 16" stroke. A new spare tire, also.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have said it more then once when people ask "what stuff should I buy for my new to me trailer".. Buy a tire iron that will fit the trailer and a quality jack the you can jack the trailer with.. and go out and ensure that the things work..

Instead of sitting as a target on the side of the Interstate, you could have called the local State Troopers and asked for them to come out and provide a warning to people..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I carry a small 2 ton scissors jack, a large 4 way wrench and and a short piece of plywood to put under the jack, I also carry wedges to block the tires. On a longer trip I carry 2 spares if a heavy trailer (meaning the horse trailer or equipment trailer,)I carry a large 5 ton floor jack and all of the above.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. BamaCamper

BamaCamper New Member

Also helpful are hazard triangles you can set up at 50-100ft intervals on the shoulder before your work area. It really helps improve the visibility for other drivers. I have the weighted kind, and I keep them in the tow vehicle and I bought a second set to keep in the sedan (well, I could only conveniently fit two of them in the trunk, but two are far better than nothing).

Here's a link to the ones I purchased a few years ago:
    https://www.amazon.com/Blazer-7500-...ning+Triangle&qid=1566866657&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I bought an HF 1.5 ton floor jack and I have a cordless impact driver.

5 TON FLOOR JACK!? I have a 4 ton and it weighs 100lbs (I looked it up). I'm not lugging that nightmare around with me.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I carry a 8 ton bottle jack, a 4 four way lug wrench, several 2 X 6 boards, a plug kit, and 12v compressor.

10. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

A 1.5 ton floor jack is just right. Small, but enough lift to raise the camper.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have 2 bottle jacks, and a milk crate of wood, plus the lynex levelers. So i can lift the pup a bit with one jack and then add a 4x4 under the second bottle jack, now i can lift in any increment. Also note, that just because the jack fits at home, does not mean it will fit when you need it too. flats dont always happen on level ground. So , bring extra wood also.